FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fresh Water

Author Topic: Fresh Water
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read on a bottle of drinking water that reverse osmosis was used to ensure that it's clean. I was just curious, is reverse osmosis an expensive process?

It must be, if water covers 73% of the surface of the earth and yet fresh water is considered a scarce resource.

From Wikipedia:

quote:
Reverse Osmosis is the process of forcing a solvent from a region of high solute concentration through a membrane to a region of low solute concentration by applying a pressure in excess of the osmotic pressure. In simpler terms, reverse osmosis is pushing a solution through a filter that traps the solute from one side and allows the obtainment of the pure solvent from the other side.

This process is used in treating sea water to get fresh water.

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
From what little I know about home reverse osmosis sytems, it isn't necessarily expensive so much as it is inefficient.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean a significant portion of the water isn't usable?
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. I don't know if this is the same for larger systems, but that (in the past) has been the problem with home units.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it takes about four gallons of tap water to make one gallon of RO water.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

Well they should make more efficient ones [Razz]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
But is the inefficiency a big problem for large plants? Can't they just dump the rest of the water back in the ocean and take more?

If the intake and outflow are separated enough, I'd bet they couldn't make a measurable difference in salinity.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.