FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Revenge of the Sith: Spoilers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Revenge of the Sith: Spoilers
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
So I can't find another thread that specifically allows spoilers for those who have seen the movie, so I'm starting one.

I liked the movie overall, and agree with most of what was said in the other non-spoiler thread. I just have a question.

SPOILERS:

1. When Luke asks his sister if she remembers her mother in RotJ, and she says she only remembers her a little bit, and that she was sad, is she referring to Padme or her step-mom, because she obviously cannot remember Padme since she died during birth. But it seemed to make more sense that she was talking about her real mom, not her step-mom. Or did Princess Leia (sp?) just watch some videos of her mom as a child?

Or did Lucas just mess up on this detail?

2. Why wasn't Jar Jar given a bigger role? He was my most favoritest character in the whole Star Wars galaxy. Wait--actually my question is, why wasn't he killed?

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I remember my main beef with the movie...actually with the whole story.

Why do I feel like the Jedi never actually save the galaxy in the end? I know they win some fights here and there, but it is the dark side, Vader, that kills the emperor.

And I don't know if killing the emperor counts as redemption after killing innocent children and other who-knows-how-many people throughout the decades. Vader may have finally forsaken the dark side, but does he now get to go to Jedi heaven after all that he did?

Maybe I'm just too merciless. [Dont Know]

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
1. Lucas probably just messed up. There are other little inconsistencies between the trilogies, but oh well. Every series of books, movies, or whatever has these little glitches

2. There was really no need to kill Jar Jar. It's just good that he doesn't speak at all. Even one line of his goofy dialogue would have been out of place in such a serious film.

No one ever said that the jedi would be the ones to destroy the Sith, the prophecy is that Anakin would, and he did. Whether or not that's enough to redeem him is simply a matter of opinion.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Lucas didn't mess up here. She had no idea that the parents who raised her weren't her biological parents. She's talking about her adopted mom.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Make sense a Star Wars movie must not. Better if accept you will. edit: Or you could wait for the überspecial special edition where Leia's answer to Luke's question will be a resounding no.

2. Proof that even Lucas can listen to his fans sometimes.

Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
About Vader, I agree. I don't see how refusing to murder your son, and then killing the man who you have sworn your alleigance to is redeeming.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

quote:
1. Lucas didn't mess up here. She had no idea that the parents who raised her weren't her biological parents. She's talking about her adopted mom.
Then why did Luke emphasize, "Your REAL mother"? She knew that she was adopted. Why else would she have accepted that Vader was her real father so quickly if she thought that she was raised by her real father?

[ May 19, 2005, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: neo-dragon ]

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted an explanation on why Yoda was stuck on Degaba. I thought they’d link the evil cave there to something he had to guard or protect.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Oh yeah, and C3PO getting his mind wiped was cool. Now only R2D2 knows the whole story.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Porter, they don't actually say that Darth Vader was redeemed into Anakin Skywalker in RotJ-although the impression is so strong that it may as well have been fact.

In my own Star Wars head, Darth Vader refusing to murder his son and then finally killing Darth Sidious-as he wanted to decades ago-is just the first step on a very, very, very long road to redemption. Who knows what he's doing while he's wavery and blue?

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

quote:
I wanted an explanation on why Yoda was stuck on Degaba.
Yoda explains that. Until the time is right, the Jedi must dissapear.

Actually, he wasn't stuck there. He was hiding there.

neo-dragon -- I guess it's been too long since I've seen the original trilogy. I need to fix that.

DavidR
Member # 7473

- posted      Profile for DavidR   Email DavidR         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched Episodes I and II in the weeks leading up to last nights release of Episode III. I plan to watch the original trillogy over the next week or two. I don't recall the Luke using the word real in that line where he asks Leia if she remembers her mother. I suppose I will find out for sure when I watch it again.

Remember that the first decisive step toward the dark side was when he chose to help the Chancellor against Mace Windu during their fight. Up to that point it had all been doing what he thought was right and following bad advice and his feelings. At that point he made a choice with full knowledge of it consequences to follow the teachings of the Sith. When Darth Vader chose to save his son and kill the Emperor he was making a consious choice to turn his back on the Sith and follow the teachings of the Jedi. Whether or not that moment was enough to redeem him there is a parallel between those moments. They are the pivot points of Anakin's journey with the force.

Posts: 148 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Darn, I thought Jar-Jar was going to become the Emporer.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
But, when he came to Sidious' defense, he thought he was protecting an injured foe (pleading for his life) from a Jedi who had ceased to follow the code. He was arguing that Palpatine should stand trial, which seems very idealistiic, actually.

When he stops Mace from killing Palpatine and Palpatine blasts Mace (proving he was not as helpless as he seemed) Anakin immediately drops his saber and says "What have I done?"

Palpy: You just helped me kill one or the leaders of the Jedi Council. He was trying to take over the Senate, anyway. Better help me some more, 'cause if you go back to the Jedi and own up to it, your @$$ is grass.

Anakin: Well, crap.

Palpy: I can help you save Padme...

and so on.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
*raises hand* Woo woo I got questions.

1. I haven't seen the movie yet. Are there any cool details I should look for? (Like spotting ET or the actor from Willow in Episode I.)

2. In Episode VI, why was it so easy for Darth Vader to kill the Emperor?

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Because Vader is as strong as the Emperor if not stronger
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Beren,

1. The actor from Willow was in episode 1 because he plays Wicket the Ewok in Return of the Jedi. Which is why he got to play Willow(written/produced by lucas, maybe directed too)

2. I think because the emperor was old and weak and was trying to keep a whole battle in his mind at the same time, while sending a constant stream of lightning into Luke and wasn't prepared for Vader's turn.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why do I feel like the Jedi never actually save the galaxy in the end? I know they win some fights here and there, but it is the dark side, Vader, that kills the emperor.
The Prophecy was of one to bring Ballance to the Force. I think this included wiping out the uber-dogmatic Jedi Knights, as well as the Sith. Basically, Anakin was a giant RESET button for Force-usage.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else notice that Anakin killed Count Dooku after said he should have stood trial, and did so because Palpatine said he was too dangerous to stand trial.

Then later on when Mace is telling him they must kill Palpatine because he is too dangerous to stand trial, suddenly Anakin has an attack of morality and decides he MUST stand trial.

I know, I know, there are a dozen reasons why Anakin switches back and forth here. But it's a clear cut irony I hope everyone got to appreciate.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidR
Member # 7473

quote:
Did anyone else notice that Anakin killed Count Dooku after said he should have stood trial, and did so because Palpatine said he was too dangerous to stand trial.

Then later on when Mace is telling him they must kill Palpatine because he is too dangerous to stand trial, suddenly Anakin has an attack of morality and decides he MUST stand trial.

Yes I noticed that. This is why I felt that this action was the point where Anakin made a concious decision to follow the Sith instead of the Jedi way. Remember, he had been having visions that Padme and his childern would die. He couldn't tell the Jedi because then they would know that he had married Padme so he told his other mentor, Palpatine, who used the confusion and emotions of the situation to his own purposes. At the time he intervened he believed that if Palpatine died he would not be able to save Padme, which is ironic since his actions in betraying the Jedi and siding with Palpatine were what led to her dying.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that was rather obvious.

What I am wondering is, if obi-won knows leia is luke's sister now, why is he suprised in the original series.

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Geez, I was just wondering if everyone noticed.

Didn't think I'd get a lecture on how stupid and obvious I'm being.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

What I am wondering is, if obi-won knows leia is luke's sister now, why is he suprised in the original series.

suprised about what?
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidR
Member # 7473

Sorry Lyrhawn, I wasn't trying to come down on you. Earlier I had commented that when Anakin intervened on behalf of Palpatine, he had made his first concious decision to follow the Sith, and another poster came back saying that he was simply protecting an injured foe who should be given the chance of a trial. I was too busy to answer right away, but when I saw your post I saw an opportunity to use it in my response. I just wasn't clear in the way I did it. Sorry about any confusion or hurt feelings.

[Edited to fix a very unfortunate dropped word]

[ May 19, 2005, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: DavidR ]

?
Member # 2319

- posted      Profile for ?   Email ?         Edit/Delete Post 
See, I never saw Darth Vader killing the Emperor as bringing balance to the force.

Maybe I'm completely misinterpreting this. But I always thought Darth Vader balanced both sides of the force. When episode 4 begins their are only 4 people that we know that can use the force. Two on the dark side, and two on the light side. Whereas before, their was a big favor to the light side.

Just my thoughts.

?

Posts: 219 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth Ender
Member # 7694

- posted      Profile for Darth Ender           Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILER:

I win!

Posts: 134 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

And then after Jedi there was only 1 force user. So that's pretty balanced.
So both places are balanced.

MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I meant when yoda tells obi-won that "there is another" when luke runs of to cloud city.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Yeah that's a good point. Unless Obi-Wan just assumed there wasn't time to train her, or that she might not have the Force with her.
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In my own Star Wars head, Darth Vader refusing to murder his son and then finally killing Darth Sidious-as he wanted to decades ago-is just the first step on a very, very, very long road to redemption.
I grok this idea. [Smile]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Responding to the point about Obi-wan not knowing about Leia, we don't actually see/hear a reaction from Obi-wan when Yoda says "there is another", so how do you know he was surprised? Maybe he said that Luke was their only hope because he figured that there wouldn't be time to train Leia, and Yoda simply thought otherwise.
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Who were the good guys in this movie? I mean Palpatine claimed they were going to take over the senate, and guess what they were going to do it! What a great group those Jedi are
1.You don't choose to be a Jedi. They take them from an extremely young age, before they can make the choice themselves and are pretty much brainwashed.
2. You're not allowed to have any personal attachments, you can't get married, you can't have feelings.
3. They "defend" democracy yet don't practice it. The Jedi concil alone picks it's members.
4. They have pretty much become enforcers of a corupt Republic.

The Jedi needed to be destroyed. They haven't adapted with the times, and are stuck in a dogmatic rut. I haven't read NJO but I'm pretty sure the New Jedi are what the Jedi should be.

Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Palpatine is evil because he growls a lot. [Wink]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faire
Member # 8065

- posted      Profile for Faire   Email Faire         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, he's ugly.

So duh, he's the bad guy.

The same thing happens to Anakin; when he gets evil, he gets ugly.

So, the obvious lessen here is, beware of the ugly people.

Posts: 17 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

But, but Yoda is ugly, and growls too....
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the Jedi are ugly. I knew they were evil.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

In the EU, the Jedi's primary fault lies in distancing themselves from everyone else. An 'Ivory Tower' syndrome, really, which is pretty darn accurate. To wit, not, you know, helping Anakin's mother out of slavery...

...or not doing something about entire systems on the Outer Rim which permitted things like sentient-being slavery.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faire
Member # 8065

- posted      Profile for Faire   Email Faire         Edit/Delete Post 
Yoda's not ugly. He's funny looking and kind of cute. And even the ugly Jedi are noble looking, if nothing else. Turning to the Dark Side means getting deformed and scary looking. Not being non-human-esque to start with.
Posts: 17 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 7476

Um, what about Count Dooku? He is noble looking too. And he was evil.
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
No, he was double evil. I mean, look at how many trolls and uruk'hai he employed to try and take down Helms Deep.

*looks around*

Oh, right. Wrong trilogy...Sorry.

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

quote:
Yoda's not ugly. He's funny looking and kind of cute
Ugly and cute are not mutually exclusive. I've heard people say "It's so ugly it's cute!"
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Question...Was anyone else confused with the whole robot coughing thing? I didn't get the fact that he was part organic until,well, basically until his chest was pried open to expose the heart.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Ugly and Cute
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Anakin was pretty hot on his way to becoming evil... that whole scene with his shirt off...

Oh, sorry. Allow me to compose myself.

It's actually quite funny that the "Real mother" debate came up here. My roommate and I had the exact same conversation in the car on the way back last night after the midnight show. She argued that Leia didn't remember her adopted mother, I argued for the continuity error. And since I've got that scene Jedi in right now, I can officially say that Luke does stress the word "real."

In today's movie discussion with my roommate, we came up with a few things; not really problems, just observations.

1. Natalie Portman was extremely miscast. The material with which she had to work didn't help matters much, but her presence as a Queen and then Senator was not strong enough - not nearly the commanding presence nor the voice for the role. And when she finally broke in Sith, it didn't seem like that much. Seeing a stronger actress' character break would have been more heart-rending, especially with the "You're breaking my heart" line.

2. Anakin killing the Younglings was disgusting, necessary, and therefore awesome.

3. Obi-Wan never got laid. And if I'd been in a galaxy far, far away a long time ago, I could have helped out with that. [Big Grin]

4. Frankenstein had no place in Sith.

5. The execution of the Jedi by the clones was masterfully done. It went quickly enough that it felt simultaneous, but dwelled enough to get the sense of tragedy across. Also, Yoda climbing up Chewbacca was a nice touch. For all Yoda's great Force abilities, he's just a short little green guy who can't run with the Wookiees.

6. It's nice to finally know how to pronounce "Kashyyyk."

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Yeah, I was *really* bothered by that. Later, I figured, OK maybe he's a cyborg. But I've since been informed that he is *not* a cyborg, he is a free-thinking droid with organic parts.

So now I'm annoyed again.

Member # 7476

except he's a cyborg beverly per the offical movie adapted book.
Carrie
Member # 394

Just remembered my question:

With all the advanced technology at their disposal, wouldn't Padme have KNOWN she was carrying twins?

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Beverly,

The way it happens in the book, he was originally a human being who was mortally wounded, but not quite, and so was transformed. Just like Anakin, actually.

Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Carrie: remember she didn't talk to a lot of people about the babies, and towards the end she and Anakin grew further and further apart, so the viewer never got the chance to learn.

I wish Greivous was as cool as he was in the Clone Wars cartoon. There he was a borderline unstoppable monster.

And if you want to know why he's wheezing and why his heart is just out there, it's because Mace Windu crushed his chestplate with the slightest glance.

Very cool.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

I'll have to see the movie again, but I could swear that every time she mentioned her pregnancy, she spoke in the singular. Not a huge problem, just one I noticed a couple times.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.