FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Revenge of the Sith: Spoilers (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Revenge of the Sith: Spoilers
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... maybe so. Lucas has never been exactly a stickler for details.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the Greivous from the Clone Wars was awesome.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Here he "went out like a punk," to quote Samuel L. Jackson.

I mean, the guy killed about five Jedi in one encounter. People should know how terrifying he is.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Well she had to talk in the singular. If she had said she was having twins Vader would have known Luke wasn't the only child. He would have been looking for two children instead of one. What if instead of torturing Leia he turned her to the dark side?
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Book:
Carrie: remember she didn't talk to a lot of people about the babies, and towards the end she and Anakin grew further and further apart, so the viewer never got the chance to learn.

I wish Greivous was as cool as he was in the Clone Wars cartoon. There he was a borderline unstoppable monster.

And if you want to know why he's wheezing and why his heart is just out there, it's because Mace Windu crushed his chestplate with the slightest glance.

Very cool.

Uhh, so I was supposed to watch the cartoon to understand something about the movie...Great. Something tells me Lucas wasn't trying to appeal to the average person with this attempt.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 7476

It's all apart of GL evil attempt to force you to buy the Clone Wars DVD. And if you want to know what happens after RotS but before A New Hope you have to watch the new show, especially since there are no books about that period.
Book
Member # 5500

They actually can be seen online at this one website. I'll look for it.

You also get to see how Anakin gets that scar.

Book
Member # 5500

You can register and watch it here: http://www.starwars.com/clonewars/microseries/chapter/archive.html

But I'll keep looking.

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, then my source was incorrect.

*relieved*

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
When Vader meets Obi-Wan in A New Hope, he says "When I left you, I was the learner." But Vader didn't leave Obi-Wan, Obi-Wan left Vader to die by the lava.

A little thing, but I did notice it.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Question...Was anyone else confused with the whole robot coughing thing? I didn't get the fact that he was part organic until,well, basically until his chest was pried open to expose the heart.
That is what I thought at firs. I got so sick of a robot wheezing. When I saw his heart, I immediately thought of Vader--what a brilliant set up!

Now to my ughhs. Does anyone else think the Jedi Super Mario jump looks plain silly. I like the idea of super high jumps and eye candy, but it looks so unrealistic--and they do it so much. I think the only jump I liked was then Vader jumped over Obiwan and got his legs cut off. Those studpid jumps have bothered me from episode 1-3.

Padame and Anakin's love was horrible.

When Vader did the Frankenstien thing and yelled "NOOOOOOO!" it reminded me of Fry in Futurama--except Vader wasn't doing a parody, which is a shame because he did a better parody of that over-used-scene then any comedian/comedy.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Open question then. What would you or anyone else have Vader say after he was changed?

Since many seem to think his questioning about Padme and the "Noo!" scream were stupid. What would you have him say, and how?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
So, did Yoda get whooped by the emperor, or did he just give up because he knew his chances of success were better if he escaped and waited? And if that is the case, what was he waiting for? I don't remember, but did he know about Anakin's kid(s) yet? If not, then what was he waiting for? A breather?

I guess there's just that part of me that wants to know Yoda would have won if the fight had continued.

Of course, Yoda does have about 800 years on the emperor, and being that nimble at that age has got to count for something.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Silent killing spree. Well, okay, heavy breathing and dramatic John Williams music, but something a bit more destructive.

Sidenote: The music during that whole rising scene was very well-placed. Using Qui-Gon's funeral music was an excellent choice - made it much more lamentable.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Strider and Jay. [Wink]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Open question then. What would you or anyone else have Vader say after he was changed?

Since many seem to think his questioning about Padme and the "Noo!" scream were stupid. What would you have him say, and how?

A simple scream of pain would have worked. No words necessary. The spontaneous crushing of everything in the room bit was interesting. I suppose Padme's death was enough to make Vader content to become an underling for...what, 2 decades?.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Obi-Wan never got laid.
This is kinda disturbing. So in ep. 2 we're told that Jedis aren't supposed to love, right? So does that mean that it's OK for Jedis to have casual sex if they don't get emotionally involved with the person they're having sex with??? So that all those years on Tatooine, Obi-Wan could've been wandering off and having sex with the Sand People...
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightpaths
Member # 1385

- posted      Profile for lightpaths   Email lightpaths         Edit/Delete Post 
Anakin's dream: suspicious in nature:

The dream had a big influence on Anakin's turn to the dark side. It brought out and enhanced his fear of death--brought it into focus you might say. --A focus that would make him choose the dark side in order to "save life".

Oddly, Padme didn't die in/because of childbirth--the medics said she was in "perfect health" but said she had "lost the will to live". Basically she was so depressed about Anakin's loss of love that she died. (So Anakin's dream was not a true prediction)

If Anakin hadn't dreamt that that Padme would die in childbirth, then he probably wouldn't have been so fast to turn to the dark side. As the movie showed, his motivation to join the dark side was primarily based on his desire to "beat death" and save the life of Padme. (Who wouldn't really have died in childbirth)

So my question is: Is it possible that the dream was projected to him to make him more unstable and afraid of death in an intense way?

Posts: 134 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that it was implied that Sidious put some of the dreams in anikin, that's how he knew that anikin was grieving for the predicted loss of padme.

quote:
When Vader meets Obi-Wan in A New Hope, he says "When I left you, I was the learner." But Vader didn't leave Obi-Wan, Obi-Wan left Vader to die by the lava.

A little thing, but I did notice it.

I think that vader meant when he joined the dark side, not walked away.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightpaths
Member # 1385

- posted      Profile for lightpaths   Email lightpaths         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. I think "walked away" is figurtive.
Posts: 134 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightpaths
Member # 1385

Anakin bought balance between good and evil and the cycles of good and evil. The dark side was at a low with only a few dark sith and Anakin brought balance by making the dark powerful--as the good side had been for a while. Balance means good and evil must have their turns of power--not that the good will always win nor the evil always win--but a balance of both, a cycle like summer and winter.

Eastern thought (Taoism) says that evil could not exist without good nor good exist without evil--they are two sides of the same "magic" and therefore must both exist and each have "power" for a time.

plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, a BIG nitpick... Obi-Wan and Yoda should've taken the recordings of Anakin slaughtering the kids and Palpatine admitting to being a Sith lord, and played them for the public.

(Anctipating the argument that maybe they did, and the movie just didn't show that part: if they HAD done that, then everyone in the galaxy would've known that Anakin Skywalker had become Darth Vader, and it would've never been a surprise to Luke and everyone else 20 years later.)

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched the movie and the only flaw I saw is that Qui-Gon didn't appear in his after life form like Yoda had said he had...
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

quote:
I liked how he used the force to destroy the medical equipment. Since Vader has such a thing for killing his workers in episodes 4-6, I would have had him kill the doctors, turn on the emperor, and have the emperor laugh and say, "Your journey to the dark side is complete. You belong to me now."
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

My favorite suggestion so far is from writer Peter David. Expanded, it would have gone something like:

Sidious tells Vader that Padme is dead. The room explodes, as before. We close up on Vader's mask as he visibly struggles to accept it. Finally he hangs his head.
Then he brings it up slowly, looking into the camera while the theme music plays, and says, "Good."

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Marlozahn> [Kiss]

I'm still quite disturbed that Padme died.. all these years, I thought Leia knew her mother! Many many many years! Here are Luke and Leia's exact words in Return of the Jedi.

LUKE
Leia... do you remember your mother? Your
real mother?

LEIA
Just a little bit. She died when I was very young.

LUKE
What do you remember?

LEIA
Just...images, really. Feelings.

LUKE
Tell me.

LEIA
(a little surprised at his insistence)
She was very beautiful. Kind, but...sad.
(looks up) Why are you asking me all this?

LUKE
I have no memory of my mother. I never knew her.

He asked her REAL mother! UG! I think Lucas totally screwed up by killing their mother.

I once read about a character named "Winter" who was I guess Leia's Nanny, that would have been cool to see her. Also it would have been cool to see Han (who may have been 5 when Leia was born... *shrug) I'm not sure how they would have put him in.

I was actually REALLY disturbed that they showed Anakin had killed Jedi children... and also why did they use the word "younglings" it just doesn't work very well...

Also may I point out the Sith in which saved lifes may have been Palpatine's master and may have been Anakin's father because he knew how to "create" life. Just a thought. [Smile]

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any indication that Leia knew that she was adopted? She might not have known it was her real mother.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes because she was so quick to accept Darth Vader was her father.
Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 7476

unicornwhisperer...I thought I was the only one who noticed that Darth Plageius could be Anakins Dad...
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I once read about a character named "Winter" who was I guess Leia's Nanny, that would have been cool to see her.
Ummm... Winter grew up with Leia, was almost like a sister to her. They went on missions together and stuff with Winter as her aide as they got older, as Winter has perfect recall. She was Leia's kids' nanny, not Leia's.

And I was irritated that she got reduced to a nanny, anyway.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Domini
Member # 3880

- posted      Profile for Domini   Email Domini         Edit/Delete Post 
Re: the Jedis super-jumping all over the place...

Maybe it's a training artifact from Yoda? Full-size humans don't need to do it, but it serves Yoda well because he's so short. And it probably puts off non-Jedi fighters, who can't do it, so it stayed around as a surprise advantage. I bet Yoda learned to do it because he HAD to, trained a few Jedis to do it, and they passed it down to their apprentices and so on...

Yeah, I'm trying to rationalize things...

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

quote:
I'm not sure how they would have put him in.

They could of had him pick-pocketing something.
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

ketchupqueen... ah so she's Leia's kid's nanny. Sorry I got confused. She seemed like a cool character.

Wasn't their a hint that they might make another trilogy based on Leia's kids?

estavares
Member # 7170

- posted      Profile for estavares   Email estavares         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it would have been a nice twist for Padme not to have died at all, but it was a ruse--building on the idea of her body doubles, perhaps a bodyguard who died to help her escape. In staging her death, she can escape to Alderaan with Leia, broken-hearted but alive, a sad sort of hope that would be consistent to what Leia says in ROTJ.

To have Padme be alive in the early stages of the Empire, knowing what her husband has become. That would have packed more emotional punch.

Posts: 325 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was actually REALLY disturbed that they showed Anakin had killed Jedi children... and also why did they use the word "younglings" it just doesn't work very well...
I'm not sure why many people seemed to be upset by this. I mean, we know that the jedi were wiped out, and we know that they start their training as young children... It was kinda necessary. Or is it just the fact that Anakin was the one who did it? He may not have been in the suit, but he was already Darth Vader at that point. As for the term "youngling", I think it's the term used in the Star Wars galaxy for "children" of any species, whereas the term "children" may be specific to humans. Like how we don't call kittens "cat children". "Youngling" is probably just a general term for a young being. What would you call them?

quote:

Also may I point out the Sith in which saved lifes may have been Palpatine's master and may have been Anakin's father because he knew how to "create" life. Just a thought.

Yeah, I don't think it was meant to be all that subtle. [Wink]

The only other likely possibility I can think of is that Palpatine made it all up in order to manipulate Anakin, but for some reason, I believe him.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

did anyone else think that anikin's "is it possible to learn these powers?" line was the stupidest question ever?
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

No. I'm not sure what you mean. Why do you think it's stupid?
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DemonGarik
Member # 7793

- posted      Profile for DemonGarik   Email DemonGarik         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok I'm goinb ack a couple posts cause work has been backed up so I haven't had much time to post...
1) I think they should have done the child birth thing first and then switched the the first time the mask it put on vader's face, and end the movie with his taking his first breath, forget all the destruction, just end with that powerful image of him being created
(Lucas does admit he did the frankenstein thing specifically to give props to frankenstein)

2) There are a lot of unexplained things about Luke and Leia- Why does Vader never feel Leia is his daughter? Luke always shows some force abilities before using the force (Piloting and such) but Leia never does...

3) is it just me or is it amusing that genocide/planetside, killing all the jedi ect... was all spurred because of taxes? The entire Empire could have been avoided with a free trade agreement or a lowering of tariffs... just a thought...

Posts: 84 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

quote:
I'm not sure why many people seemed to be upset by this. I mean, we know that the Jedi were wiped out, and we know that they start their training as young children..
I am bothered because Star Wars is so heavily marketed towards children--ie Burger King and Legos. I loved that the movie was dark. I am disturbed that the Lucas wants it both ways. It was appropriate for the story to have Anakin kill the kids and execute Duku. These are not themes that 6 year olds should have to deal with.

I have noticed with Star Wars and Serenity that children are becoming targets. I first noticed this in popular cinema with Sleepy Hollow. I am sure there are cult classics or non-blockbuster movies that deal with the killing of kids, but I am noticing it more in Block-Busters.

This could just be a reflection of the attention child abductions and child violence has received. It may be unrelated to current events. Whatever the reason it is making its way into movies is an interesting thing to witness.

Maybe kids need to know they are sometimes the targets, but having Darth Vader kill kids and then be sold as a cute toy in a kids meal seems wrong.

lem
Member # 6914

quote:
Re: the Jediā€™s super-jumping all over the place...
It's not just that the Jedis are doing Super Jumps. I am actually fine with that. I just think the filming/animation of it looks so...OFF. It was poorly done. I thought the special effects were distracting and bad. Movies with lesser budgets have done a much better job of making super long jumps look cool.
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

I see where you're coming from, lem, but to be fair, Lucas has been saying for weeks that this one is NOT for young kids. He's made it clear that parents should see the movie without kids first and then decide if they'll be okay with it. This may sound cold-hearted of me, but I think that if a child can handle seeing adults die, the idea of children dying shouldn't really be a problem. Death is death, and if a child is old enough to really understand it in the first place, said child should probably know that children aren't immune. Actually, I think that it's really more upsetting to parents than to the children themselves. I understand that many adults were bothered by it, but I'd be interested in hearing how children felt about it. Anyway, It is the first Star Wars film to be rated PG-13 rather than PG after all.

quote:
3) is it just me or is it amusing that genocide/planetside, killing all the jedi ect... was all spurred because of taxes? The entire Empire could have been avoided with a free trade agreement or a lowering of tariffs... just a thought...
All the stuff about taxes and trade routes in TPM was orchestrated by Palpatine/Sidious. It was never really about that stuff, it was all part of his master plan which, as we see in this movie, worked very well. If it wasn't taxes and trade routes, he would have used something else to get the ball rolling.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I expected more from Grievous...I think Obi killed him to soon...

I also thought that Anakin was just TOO easily seduced into the Dark Side.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

I think the reason why Anakin was seduced so easily is because he wanted to be. Fear of loss, anger, power lust, arrogence... It was all inside him waiting to get out all along. We've seen signs of it in Eps I & II. Palpatine didn't have to do much to get him to let it all out.
MEC
Member # 2968

quote:
No. I'm not sure what you mean. Why do you think it's stupid?
well, darth sidious had just told him about the guy who learned how to use the powers, and had eventually taught his pupil.

quote:
Sidious tells Vader that Padme is dead. The room explodes, as before. We close up on Vader's mask as he visibly struggles to accept it. Finally he hangs his head.
Then he brings it up slowly, looking into the camera while the theme music plays, and says, "Good."

I like this better, simply because we were brought to imagine in the original triliogy that vador was incapable of love, and him screaming "noooo" kinda conterdicts that.

quote:
Also may I point out the Sith in which saved lifes may have been Palpatine's master and may have been Anakin's father because he knew how to "create" life. Just a thought.
I thought it was possible for palpatine himself to be anikin's father, since he was taught these abilities.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wasn't their a hint that they might make another trilogy based on Leia's kids?
Nope, GL has pretty much said it isn't gonna happen.

Which is good, because he's screwed up enough already, IMO.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

quote:
well, darth sidious had just told him about the guy who learned how to use the powers, and had eventually taught his pupil.
Palpatine told him an old legend. Even if it's true. The knowledge may have been lost, thus making it impossible to learn now. So I think what Anakin is asking is "is it still possible to learn that power"
MEC
Member # 2968

the legend he was telling him about was of his master. [Razz]
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Did Anakin know that at the time? [Taunt]
MEC
Member # 2968

if he didn't, he's a dumbass. [ROFL]
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a question for all of you. mechanisms and the force.

The "Dark Side" seem to prefer mechanism's, the robot army, the army of clones that are apparently attempts to turn the biological into the mechanical, and weapons like "Walkers" that are mechanical perversions of animals.

And you have the big bad guys showing their descent into darkness by becoming mechanical men such as Vader and Sedious.

The "Light Side" seems to prefer natural, with their preference for a wider array of races, riding living mounts, and the whole preservation of life bit.

So being a great pilot is actually being hip on tech, and that means dark leanings. So was Anakins first major work of accomplishment, building a mechanical man (C3PO).

Yet if we assume Nature Good, and Tech Evil, why is it that only one little robot survives the entire trilogy memory intact and apparently, a good guy? What does this say about the Tech/Nature dichotomy.

Or am I just going brain numb from lack of sleep?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.