FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Spidey's new villian

Author Topic: Spidey's new villian
Mr.Gumby
Member # 6303

- posted      Profile for Mr.Gumby   Email Mr.Gumby         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard on the news last night that Topher Grace (Eric, 70's Show) will be playing one of 2 villians in Spider Man 3. But they didn't say WHICH villian.

So to fancy my curiousity I'd like some opinions as to who Topher Grace could play.

I was thinking that they'd introduce Venom and Carnage together and that Topher would be Carnage. What do you, Mr. and Mrs. Hatrack, say?

Posts: 312 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to see Venom introduced, but not the way the comics did it. Maybe have Oscorp experiment on a bit of Spidey's blood and create some sort of symbiotic spacesuit that John Jameson could wear into space - when it finally penetrates his braincase and warps his mind. You have the ani-Peter Parker vendetta already built in.

Just a thought.

I heard that Raimi said once that he always wanted to do Sandman, too.

Still, I think that one of the villians should be Lizard, just because of the foreshadowing in two movies already, and the casting of a pretty decent actor for the part in Spidey 2.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The only villian I can think he'd be suitable for is Gaunt, who was pretty much a throw-away villian.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
With enough makeup and special effects, Grace could be almost anyone.

I mean, they did cast Michael Keaton as the Batman, for pity's sake.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been hearing for the longest time that sandman will be in the next movie. I've recently heard that there's the possibility of Venom, but rumour has it that Sam Raimi isn't a fan of that particular character, and he wants to stick to old-school Spidey villians. Anyone else think that Patrick Stewart should play the Vulture? But I guess it would be weird for him to play two different characters in the Marvel universe.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Not Venom, and _definitely_ not Carnage.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
isn't James Franco coming back as a villain? Isn't he the spawn of the green goblin or someting?

<--- has not read the comics.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that in the old school Spidey books, the Green Goblin and the Lizard worked together on more than one occasion. That is my vote for the two villians, as they already set the stage for GGII....
Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
There has been a confirmation that there will be two villians, with rumors that it will be sandman and hobgoblin.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
the goblin hob goblin stuff bores me.

If I was directing a Spiderman movie, my villian would absolutely be Kraven the Hunter.

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Totally. A Kraven movie would rock my socks. It'd be reaaaalllly dark, though, which I don't think they're going for.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Gumby
Member # 6303

- posted      Profile for Mr.Gumby   Email Mr.Gumby         Edit/Delete Post 
so... who's sandman?

<---also didn't read comics

Posts: 312 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Pretty self explanatory - a guy made of sand.

Has a crush on Mary Jane.

Can make forms from his body, launch his arms like battering rams and so forth.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grisha
Member # 6871

- posted      Profile for Grisha   Email Grisha         Edit/Delete Post 
oh, so the dude they had be made of water in the cartoon?
Posts: 376 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly like him, but there was both hydroman and sandman, who, if I remember, eventually met up.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
how about that hologram guy?
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
I know for spiderman 6 they can have the Sinister Six. that would be a great idea.

[Party] [Hat] [The Wave]

Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Hologram guy was Mysterio I think. I like him, but there are a ton of other bad guys, Shocker, Rhino, Vulture (though not til later), Punisher crossover, X-Men Crossover, Greengoblin/Hobgoblin,

Eventually they'll have to add the Black Cat. I would want to see Venom in a movie without Carnage. Plenty of other badguys though.

I'm still awaiting Clayface in the next Batman movie.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
I mean, they did cast Michael Keaton as the Batman, for pity's sake.
Yeah, but Raimi's trying to be true to the books in a way Burton just flat out didn't care about.

Kraven would be great, especially if the whole movie was the hunt - Spider-man as prey until the end. You could get Rutger Hauer to play him. Or maybe Jon Voigt.

Yeah, I've got to say, Kraven would be awesome.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

The Punisher is grey enough, I don't think he'll ever show up as a bona fide villain.

But they have another four movies to go, so almost anything is possible.

-Trevor

JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Narnia wrote: isn't James Franco coming back as a villain? Isn't he the spawn of the green goblin or someting?

<--- has not read the comics.

I believe T_Smith already answered you but it wasn't very clear. James Franco will more than likely be Hobgoblin, which makes sense since his father was the Green Goblin, and insanity sometimes has a genetic component.
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Kraven would be great, especially if the whole movie was the hunt - Spider-man as prey until the end.
Spider-Man has more or less been focused on saving everyone else so far, with Kraven it would be all about him saving himself.

quote:
You could get Rutger Hauer to play him. Or maybe Jon Voigt.

Dag. here's where you are you are going to have to step back and let a professional work.

My first choice for Kraven the Hunter would HAVE TO BE Brad Pitt.

Brad Pitt is great at powerful, insane and tortured roles.

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Brad Pit is also great in open-chested, fur-lined vests.

Rutger Hauer would have been a good Kraven back in The Day, but to cast him now would be a very different approach to the character. Older than you usually see him in the comics.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

True, when I think of ol' Rutger, I'm thinking of the Lady Hawk days.

I'll give you BP, but grudginly. Not because he wouldn't do great, but because I don't like admitting he'd do great.

How much bigger is BP than Toby? Kraven needs to look bigger than Spider-man.

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

Pitt is not that tall, as I recall.
But you don't have to stretch much to be bigger than Toby.

How about Mickey Rourke? After Sin City I have no doubts about his ability to bring a larger than life comic book character to the screen.

Or maybe Benicio Del Toro. He'd have a good growl for it.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I would want to see Venom in a movie without Carnage. Plenty of other badguys though.

I believe they are supposed to make Venom his own movie.

In any event, that guy, he is the scrawny one in 70's show correct, seems like a good Electro. I didn't really like the character, but all he had going for him was the electricity. He wasn't particulary muscular, scrawny guy from 70's show is perfect, or intelligent. I don't know.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
What about Chameleon?

Edit: Oh! Oh! Oh! What about the guy in the floating wheelchair? I forget his name, but he worked for the Kingpin.

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

I'd like to see some crossover in the marvel universe movies, even if only cameos. In the original comics most of the heroes lived in new york and there stories would overlap. I want to see Spidey swing by in the background during an Xmen movie. I want Reed Richards to see a news story about the Hulk. Eventually, I want to see a huge supercrossover of all of them: Galactus.

--Enigmatic

Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
unfortunately different movie studio's have the rights to various characters, Fox has the X-men, Fantastic 4, Daredevil, Electra and Silver surfer. Universal has the Hulk. Sony has Spiderman. And Marvel just reached a deal so that it will be able to make it own movies that will be distributed by Paramount. Who would produce said movie? who would have the rights to any cross over? Who would pay the cost? It will never happen.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

Since when has something being completely impossible precluded me from WANTING IT?

*sigh*

As long as I'm posting a wishlist, the answers to your questions would be: Me, Me, and Anyone But Me. In that order.

--Enigmatic

Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
There's only one person to play Kraven the Hunter:

Bruce Campbell.

And there's a looong connection betwixt him and Raimi. [Smile]

Topher will be Shocker most likely and they did hint at The Black Cat in the last movie pretty heavily. Mysterio would also work for Topher, I think.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

You think? I'm a huuuuuge Bruce fan, and I can't picture him being the aristocratic. If they pulled villains from the current run, he'd be a perfect Ezekiel. Heck, I thought he'd have made a great Normon Osbourne. But for Kraven, you really need that "Everyone but me is scum so I'll do what I want with them" as opposed to that "I don't give a rat's butt about anyone else, so I'll do what I want with them."
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce has the range. And as he said it himself, "I'm still the only person to defeat Spiderman in the movies."

(speaking of his role as the usher at the theater that delayed Peter Parker from going to see MJ's play)

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Maybe. He's got the look.

Do any Spider-man villians chop their own hand off? 'Cause Bruce can do that.

The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

I love bruce, but no way on God's green earth he's my Kraven.

Brad Pitt is the only choice.

70's show guy as Electro? fits.
I was trying to figure out who he'd be,
and you figured it out for me.

I think thomas haden church will end up the Sandman. (((or lizard man if they switch casting)))

the stuff about the characters being cross owned by studios SUCKS pooh out of a pigs butt, but hey that's the nature of modern american capitalism. Bigger cost, less product!

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what they said, iirc, Thomas Haden Church is going to be Sandman, though they haven't said anything about Topher Grace yet.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
<just watched Spiderman 2 for the first time>

Could there have been anymore references to Venom and Lizardman in that movie?

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

Sure there could have. </overly literal>

There was at least one Lizard reference in Spiderman 1. But you have to know his real name to notice it. I don't recall if that had any other villain references. I personally like that they're establishing that these people exist in the world before they turn into villains or have anything to do with the current plot.

Thomas Haden Church would be good as Sandman. Good build and good face for it. There are horrible Sideways-crossover style jokes I could make here, but won't.

--Enigmatic

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
What is Electro's background story? I hope it involves something more compelling than a lonely Friday night, a light socket, and a paper clip.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, Electro's origin is even more banal.
BTW: The Vulture is one of Ditko's original Spiderman villains, appearing twice before the comic hit double digits.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Electro was working on a downed power line that got struck by lightning.

He's also wicked-famous for having the crappiest costume in the spiderverse, nay, perhaps the most stunningly ugly costume in all of comicdom!

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys. [Smile]

That costume makes him look like a shredded sunflower.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Remember, you actually meet Doc Connors in #2.

And Jamison's son who was, if memory serves, the "Wolfman".

Plus the spectre of the Hobgoblin.

-Trevor

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
>>Brad Pitt is the only choice.

I dunno-- Viggo Mortensen might be able to do the role well, if he bulked up a little bit.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Solar Macharius
Member # 7775

- posted      Profile for Lord Solar Macharius           Edit/Delete Post 
From Ain't It Cool News:

"He have a source deep inside Sony who has seen the wardrobe and effects tests. These tests were later confirmed by Raimi. The source said there was a ton of sand being used, which fit in with all the Sandman rumblings I've heard out of the industry. We've heard from him/her/it very recently and he/she/it made mention of seeing something else.
There were apparently 3 different busts featuring VENOM in different poses. One, apparently, had an arm pointing its claw-like fingers out, one had an open "monster mouth" and one was just a regular bust. These were in the vein of McFarlane's vision of the character. There was also a lot of black cloth laying about the wardrobe area.
I've been sure Venom wasn't going to be in the film, but this source has nailed a few specifics in the past, so I'm inclined to believe him/her/it.
If this is true, then does that mean Topher Grace is Venom? That doesn't fit. I could see Thomas Hayden Church as Venom, though. So, then does that mean Topher is Sandman? He's not a fit for either character."

Posts: 254 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.