FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Papa Janitor: Lyrics Copyright Question

Author Topic: Papa Janitor: Lyrics Copyright Question
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to keep the lyrics threads, so I want to know the right thing to do.

Is it OK to quote lyrics and give credit to the band who performed the lyrics, or should credit be given to the songwriter.

There are exceptions, I presume. For example, Robert Hunter wrote most of the songs for the Grateful Dead, but I believe most of those songs are copyrighted as Dead songs.

However, take the example of "Green Green Grass of Home," which was made famous by Johnny Cash, but which has been sung by many singers, and was written by Claude(Curly) Putman.

I just want to know, not to prove a point, but to do the right thing so we can keep my favorite thread alive.
Thank you.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Quoting more than a line or two of lyrics, even if you give credit, is technically a violation of copyright unless you have written permission from the owner of the copyright.

Many songwriters might not care or might see it as free advertising, and it's unlikely that anyone would sue a well-meaning message board for it, but the board is still potentially liable and is better off playing it safe.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hiroshima
Member # 7970

- posted      Profile for Hiroshima   Email Hiroshima         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll concur with Elizabeth.
Posts: 90 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
If it is a limited quote, it is considered fair use.....but quoting large parts of a song would be a violation.
Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

But there are so many fine lines. I guess I will always do a search, just to make sure the songwriter is who I think it is.

But in the case of a band, for instance, well, Donna the Buffalo. Should I cite each songwriter, or is it OK to cite the band, as the songs are recorded under the band's label?

I am confused on that one, big time.

If I am quoting "The Who" lyrics, can I just say "The Who," or do i have to specify Pete Townshend or Roger Daltry?

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I understand the small versus large quote issue. I just want to know how specific I should be.
Hiroshima
Member # 7970

- posted      Profile for Hiroshima   Email Hiroshima         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I think the quotes should be relatively short. A long quote has way too many words to key from.
Posts: 90 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
While its good ethics to mention a source, there's nothing illegal about not citing a source for a small excerpt if you're clearly not claiming the words as your own.

See here: http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode17/usc_sec_17_00000106---A000-.html

and here: http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode17/usc_sec_17_00000107----000-.html

No required attribution.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
The idea of keeping it to two lines is so that attribution does not become an issue. Do your best, but if someone is given credit who only covered the song (like Van Halen?) I don't think the internet police will descend.

--Pop

Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.