FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Uncle Orson Reviews Revenge of the Sith

Author Topic: Uncle Orson Reviews Revenge of the Sith
accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
Just in case you didn’t see this.
Link

Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swede
Member # 7560

- posted      Profile for Swede   Email Swede         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Uncle Orson has lost none of his humour, is seems

Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I love it!

And I agree with everything except giving Hayden and Natalie good actor awards. As far as I'm concerned, HC is a TERRIBLE actor, and Natalie wasn't particularly good in this either, though usually she's decent.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
I think HC and NP should get medals of honor just for getting through some of that dialogue with a straight face.

Really.

Eve

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
If you know an actor's work and liked their acting in one movie, but thought they were terrible in a subsequent movie, you can almost always blame the director.

Admittedly this doesn't always hold true. For instance a superb dramatic actor can't always do comedy, or vice versa for that matter. However, I'm willing to withhold judgement on Hayden Chrisiansen's acting ability because his filmography is still way to small to judge, especially if you discount Star Wars II and III. (And I don't think any actor deserves to be judged on their performance in Star Wars I-III.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
That's hilarious!

Haven't seen it yet - it'll be a few months before we get a decent copy here. Seriously, could watch a camera copy on DVD already, but we're not that desperate. [Smile]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
But he missed the whole underlying theme of the movie, what the movie was clearly all about.

Ships.

Ships landing. Ships taking off. Ships flying past other ships. Ships filling the background like flies in the Everglades. Fully twenty minutes of the movie, minutes that would otherwise have been completely wasted on character development, were used to show every single departure and arrival of every character in a different ship.

When Anakin gets up and goes to a different room, I was honestly shocked he didn't climb into a ship to do it. Followed, of course, by Padme in her nightgown and a different ship.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, that was funny! [Smile] Now that I think about it, you are very right!
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Hayden Christensen was heartbreaking in Life as a House, which was a bit on the sappy, life-lesson side of filmmaking. Tasty and moving, sort of like extra-sweet bran cereal.

AND he was convincing as Stephen Glass, played as a sort of newly-hatched sociopath, in a haze of remaking the world he lives in without regard for the truth. That wasShattered Glass, also notable for a great performance by Peter Skaarsgard(sp?). And his mush-mouth diction didn't interfere with that character at all - it just made him seem real.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
I second Olivetta's remarks. Both movies were very well done. Christianson's character was the perfect mix of rebellious and desperately hungry teenager. It was powerfully moving.

And his Glass was so very insecure and manipulative at the same time. You could see how people would gloss over his lies and make excuses for them. Until one character had the strength to ignore the emotional neediness because he recognized the calculating conniving sociopath underneath.

Brialliant. Which is why I laugh at all the criticisms of Hayden's acting. I don't even bother with critics with such idiotic comments.

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
He also missed the arc of the entire series:

Cutting off hands.

Which SW movie was lamest?

Ep I.

Why?

Nobody's hand got cut off.

'Nuff said.

Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Darth Maul did get cut in half, though.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
He let that happen because of the shame of not being able to cut off anybody's hand.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
That's true:

*spoilers*

Episode 1: -none-
Episode 2: Zam (Bounty Hunter) & Anakin
Episode 3: Dooku (times 2!) & Mace Windu & Anakin
Episode 4: Panda Baba (The Walrusman in the Cantina)
Episode 5: Luke
Episode 6: Vader

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
*cheers*

All listen as OSC speaks Truth!

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant. That's all I can say.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
You do have to acknowledge one stellar achievement, though:

The opening fight scene of Episode III dares show something heretofore unheard of in science fiction: Ships approaching each other on different planes.

For the first time in the history of spaceflight, someone figured out that space is three-dimensional.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Annie:
For the first time in the history of spaceflight, someone figured out that space is three-dimensional.

And then he ruined it by having all the people in Grievous' ship fall down the floor when it inverted.
Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Not the first time -- but I was always bemused that the dramatic tactical breakthrough that won Kirk the battle in STII: Wrath of Khan was to take advantage of Khan's naive 'two-dimensional' maneuvers.
Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ginol_Enam:
And then he ruined it by having all the people in Grievous' ship fall down the floor when it inverted.

It seemed to me that the since the ship was losing power and whatnot, they were being pulled down by the planet's gravity.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
I think they did remarkably well considering how very little direction if none at all they got.

They look and feel very insecure about what they are doing on screen which is a sign to me that they are practically on their own as far as the interpretation of the emotional tone of the dialog is concerned. Now, add to that the supreme silliness of the dialog and it's got to be hell for them.

If Lucas was a more involved director he would at least been able to help the actors interpret that dialog, because, lets face it folks, the only person that really knows why he wrote those words are Lucas himself.

Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ginol_Enam:

Well, if the ships were not in orbit which is feasible because SW has technology (and infinite power sources) that we don't, then there would actually be an up and down. It's hovering in space above the planet, not orbiting, so the effect of the planet’s gravity is felt.

But that doesn't explain why the ship was burning up in the atmosphere or that you can hear explosions in a vacuum and thousands of other problems etc…

Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
Darth Maul did get cut in half, though.

Every time my kids see that scene, they laugh and say "His pants fell off!"

[ROFL]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I repectfully direct you to Firefly.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
And, uh, Ender's Game.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Or was it Ender's Shadow?
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
"For the first time in the history of spaceflight, someone figured out that space is three-dimensional."

2001: A Space Odyssey. 3 Dimensions, and silence in space too. Why hasn't anyone else figured out how ominous that combination can be?

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Silence in space doesn't work that well for a major movie. Most people like the crash-bang-boom to keep them entertained. Silence is okay, but it's boring for a majority of the audience, especially when it goes on too long.

It would kill a Star Wars film--you know how Lucas loves showing space battle after space battle, and the sound of lasers and exploding death stars and whining engines.

But silence for brief periods, or just a film without many space scenes, would probably be fine. "Ominous" may hit it off with sci-fi fanatics, but wave goodbye to the box-office charts.

Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The whole "you can't here explosions in space" thing is misplaced criticism. The people on a ship can hear it when it gets hit, or when they fire a laser. They can hear the whine of their own engines.

There's no rule of moviemaking that says the microphone has to be where the camera is. One of the principle theatrical advantages of sound is that we're not limited to a single point of view in presenting it in a movie. Why give that up to meet some purist ideal that isn't actually true, anyway?

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Because, expertly handled, it's eerie as hell. Space is cold, and endless, and unforgiving. It's not just a black sky and I don't want to feel like it is.

Watching the opening scenes in RotS, I never got the feeling that being sucked out of a ship would be particularly damaging to the Jedis. Watching scenes in Firefly, or Apollo 13, or just watching John Lithgow simply cross a wire in 2010, I felt the suspense and sheer terror of the harshest environment known to man.

I can accept sound in space if it doesn't diminish that feeling. There aren't many movies or TV shows that are skillful enough to do that.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

That said, I don't expect silence in space in a Star Wars movie. Star Wars is science fantasy at best, and works better as a mythic space-going fairy tale.
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Hyperbole.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
"Star Wars is science fantasy at best, and works better as a mythic space-going fairy tale."

As opposed to what, a documentary on space travel?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, wasn't there a part in the original trilogy when one star destroyer rammed another at right angles? From the top?
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
The Executor, the cool looking Super Star Destroyer, was pulled into the Death Star II's gravity (I suppose it was large enough to do that) and rammed into it nose down.
Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I remmeber that part now. but I still am emembering(?) a shot of two star destroyers crossing at right angles...
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't recommending silence for Star Wars movies. I wouldn't want Star Wars to be silent either. I was only pointing out that 3 dimensional motion and the silence of space have been done before, and extremely well, I might add, even 30 some-odd years ago.

As far as the whole science fiction/fantasy thing goes, I don't really know of a purely science fiction movie other than 2001.

From an academic standpoint, I've always wondered what an explosion (actually conflagration) in space would look like. It certainly wouldn't look like any conventional fireball. Maybe Lucas should hire Nasa to do some, so he could film it and make movies more realistic.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Two star destroyers rammed each other when the Milleniun falcon outmaneuvered them, I think.
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I mostly remember the "making of" and how they actually used footage from WWII fighter pilots to figure out the space battles. Some neat trick with old film, computers, superimposing, or some such something - I think I was maybe 11 at the time I saw this and just being tickled pink that folks were putting history to a good use -
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... I think I'll have to watch this movie so that I can agree with OSC on a more informed level.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC and all other reviewers, I think, missed the most subtle and most important part: Obi-Wan confessing to being a Sith himself!

Obi-Wan: "Only a Sith deals in absolutes." This is an absolute statement, so if he's speaking the truth, he's a Sith himself! Now think what he does in Episode IV: gets himself killed for the rebellion. The rebellion is a Sith plot.

So is Lucasfilm: in the opening lines of Episode IV, Lucas refers to the Galactic Empire not as "flawed" or "imperfect," but as "evil," thus showing his own Sithness. That's right: we have people right here on Earth (or in California, which is kind of like being on Earth) with hyperspace and world-destroying capability. And no Jedi training academy for billions of light-years.

Episode VII is going to be really bad news.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
memory_guilded
Member # 8092

- posted      Profile for memory_guilded   Email memory_guilded         Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't stand HC in Episode II! I didn't think he would do Vader's character justice. He could barely act it seemed- but in this movie he did an excellent job. He looked like a very, very bad man. [Razz]

As for the dialogue, finally someone says something about it! That was the biggest downfall of the movie, I think. The CHEESY lines.

Other than I enjoyed it. [Smile]

~M

Posts: 46 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

quote:
"Star Wars is science fantasy at best, and works better as a mythic space-going fairy tale."

As opposed to what, a documentary on space travel?

The prequels are closer (in my opinion) to science fiction than the original trilogy. But c'mon. Farm boy goes on a quest to save the princess from the evil, black-robed villain using swords and magical abilities? Fantasy with science fiction trappings.

[ May 25, 2005, 02:12 AM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Boon, I tried to laugh out loud at the pants, but have a sleeping toddler on my lap, so instead ruptured something near my diaphragm.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.