FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » We're famous - Hatrack forum makes a movie news site

Author Topic: We're famous - Hatrack forum makes a movie news site
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
...hey! Whaddya know?

Usually I avoid Ain't it Cool News. I just find it incredibly annoying on so many different levels. But I was skimming it today and saw that apparently Orson Scott Card had released "micro-bits" about Ender's Game without my knowledge, and thought, "Boy, I can't wait to see if the gang at Hatrack has heard about this!"

Then I read it, and realized the news came straight from the forums. Did I miss something here?

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you read some of the talkback? Man... wow. They really slam OSC.

Oh wait.... people do that here too.

Not me though... [Hail] OSC [Hail]

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Not really, no. I pretty much avoid that kind've stuff. If it's offensive to anyone on here, I apologize, I just thought it'd be neato to see that Hatrack was popping up elsewhere, but there are idiots out there, as it turns out.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Reading that forum on that site makes me thank my lucky stars that I belong to Hatrack. Nasty people on that one.

Now, in real life, I curse like the rest of them, but it's nice to come to a place like this that is more family oriented and keeps a few rules.

*crawls back under the security blanket known as Hatrack*

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
The Ain't it Cool talk backs are actually quite entertaining to read. I've gotta say, the people who post in those things come up with some of the most original insults and uses of vulgarity I've ever read.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't find insults and vulgarity to be admirable or fun. Maybe that's why I rarely, if ever visit AICN.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

I do find that website annoying on so many different levels, not including the talkbacks.
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
One response

"This should be a syndicated show or a 6-8 hour mini-series. It's ****ed at birth. Orsen please pull out and wait for a better deal and wait until you can get a studio to bank roll the thing so that they can afford to work with the child actors. And if it never gets made, no problem! You still have a wonderful book and the knowledge that after you die your kids (if you have any) will eventually sell the rights and a crappy movie will be made really fast and you won't have to deal with all the headaches. You'll be spinning in your grave but you won't have to be frustrated. But what the hell do I know. "

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But what the hell do I know.
Not even that OSC has children.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
What a fool.

It's a sad thing when someone doesn't know whether the author of a book they like has children or not. A sad, sad thing.

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I like AintiItCool.com. I just never scroll past the articles. Ever.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But a beautiful girl whom i am trying to impress LOVES the book and asked me to read it so we could talk about it. I am far to busy with comic books and the "Hollywood Babylon" books to actually read this, can some one give me some footnotes so i can BS my way through a discussion or 2 with this lady?
Class.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Hahahahahaha
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Let's see... he called Diary of a Mad Black Woman "one of the best movies you'll see this year", claims that James L. Brooks "is a better director than Martin Scorsese could ever hope to be", lambasted About Schmidt for "hating average Americans" but had great praise for Napoleon Dynamite, declared The Passion of The Christ to be pretty much the greatest movie ever made (for the usual reasons) and just generally praises the literal-minded and sappy while complaining (quite shrilly, too) about movies that require a bit of thought or go someplace that isn't utterly predictable. And his politics are just as idiotic. He's written some great books, but the man has been off the deep end for a while now. www.hatrack.com if you don't believe me.
1) I thought he said he didn't like Napoleon Dynamite

2)I didn't know you could be shrill in a written column

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
You didn't miss anything, Book - it's over on the other side under the discussion of Petersen as director, if I'm not mistaken. So many threads, too few memory cells - sigh.
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
"Just read the book, it's a great quick read. If reading Ender's Game can get you some poon, you can read the comic books later. Remember... vagina trumps comic books - all of the time."

I so have to include this in a sig somewhere.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.