FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Worrying Trend Towards Glumness

Author Topic: A Worrying Trend Towards Glumness
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Scary! This had better not affect the comedians!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050524/lf_afp/afplifestylebritain_050524214117

"Britain is suffering a sense of humour failure, with laughter levels three times lower now than 50 years ago and nearly half of all adults unable to enjoy at least one big guffaw a day, research showed."

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they aren't getting the funny?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Around 16 million adults, totalling 40 percent, said they failed to muster even one proper belly laugh in an average day.
Is that an estimate? Cause I find it hard to believe that 16 million people actually answered this... o_O
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I have to search to find things that I find genuinely funny the past few years.

Although I seem to be in the minority. My family and coworkers rave about movies like "Meet the Fockers" but I just roll my eyes.

I still end up rolling on the floor from "Whose line is it anyway" though. [Smile]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Christy doesn't like www.qwantz.com -- which I think is proof of the point. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Here I was thinking that you're getting diagnosed with clinical depression! Don't scare me like that, Elizabeth!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.qwantz.com/fanart/trexmariodeadpan5gk.gif

OK, that was funny. :D

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Thbbbppppt.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I maybe laugh like that once a week! If I'm lucky! Since when has it been a a daily requirement?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I laugh hard, and often. My husband barely ever laughs hard, but it doesn't mean he doesn't think things are funny, he is just more reserved.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly. It takes a lot to make me laugh loud and long.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to go all wacky on you all here and propose that it's because popular humor these days is sarcastic and mean and leaves everyone worse off than when they started.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

It's funny you say that, Annie.
I think of my step father-in-law. That man watches reruns of I Love Lucy and Jack Benney, and laughs so hard each time it makes me laugh just hearing him.

James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I haven't had that problem. I've laughed at something that's come to mind, completely out of the blue, and people have stared at me because of it. Even the news makes me laugh sometimes: "Polls split 49-49 as to whether Bush is a uniter, divider" is a particularly memorable one that I saw here on Hatrack. [Big Grin]

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Around 16 million adults, totalling 40 percent, said they failed to muster even one proper belly laugh in an average day.
The sixteen million is 40% of their sample?

That means that they would have had to have asked about two thirds of the population of Britain!

Which I find unlikely.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it was 40% of their sample, which the article then extrapolated to 40% of Britain.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.