FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Runaway Bride indicted

Author Topic: Runaway Bride indicted
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/05/25/wilbanks/index.html

A grand jury has indicted Ms. Wilbanks.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
That picture is going to follow her for the rest of her life.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

I don't think the picture is that bad, but it's going to be pretty tough to live down the rest of the story.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the picture is pretty amusing.

I think part of it is that she looks like a deer caught in the headlights-- which is apparently what she felt like, too.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Which is all well and good, but c'mon - lying to the police and FBI?

About being kidnapped and raped?

You get cold feet, that's fine. You take off and don't tell your family, fiance or friends - rude but not illegal.

Wasting the police's time more than absolutely necessary? Jail time.

-Trevor

TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, unless this woman is diagnosable and instutionalizable (I know, not a real word).
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
If they're just indicting her for lying to the police--okay.. fine..whatever. If, however, they are trying to receive compensation for searching for her BEFORE she lied to the police, then that's not okay. It's not illegal--as far as I know--to walk away from your life, just as long as you don't owe anybody money or have legal judgements or some such thing. Am I wrong?

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Nope, not wrong in the slightest, as far as I am aware.

quote:

Wilbanks, 32, is charged with one count of making false statements, a felony punishable by up to five years in prison, and one count of making a false report of a crime, a misdemeanor punishable by a year in jail, District Attorney Danny Porter said.

The articles does mention that "local authorities" are in talks with the families for restitution of the costs involved in the search, but I don't think the authorities have legal standing to pursue such matters as Ms. Wilbanks didn't actively engage in deception prior to contacting the police and any costs involved were on a "good faith" basis.

Although it does show what having a "respected family name" pulling for you can muster on short notice.

-Trevor

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
They said on the noon radio news that she has agreed to pay $14,000 in restitution to local authorities for what they spent in manpower, etc., looking for her.

FG

Found a Link about that

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't the TV networks owe her millions for filling up programming time.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jh
Member # 7727

- posted      Profile for jh   Email jh         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.
Posts: 155 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
No. The public was interested. They chose to run the stories.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Rather confused as to how a Georgia DistrictAttoney managed to get an indictment for a false police report.
From the story, it appears that out-of-state Albuqurque police were the ones who were told the tale, and the federal/FBI agents received a corrected version upon questioning.

Which means that she never filed a false police report in Georgia, and thus did not break Georgia law. Which of course would mean that her local DA has no jurisdiction over the case, and is merely engaging in malicious prosecution.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the "Tips for saying 'I don't'" under the Related Articles...
Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.