FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Flargan Schnargan Beeblebrox

Author Topic: Flargan Schnargan Beeblebrox
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
No, no relation to Zaphod. Just something I've used for some time now to express frustration.

In addition to our washing machine deciding to go on the fritz this past weekend (about a month out of warranty), I went into the garage this morning to find our water heater leaking all over everywhere. This just isn't money we were planning on spending right now (especially after finally breaking down and ordering a new computer last week). With Superstation having been sick for nearly a week now, and Mooselet having been sick the week before that (and me possibly beginning yesterday), I'm getting (Ok, I have gotten) relatively frazzled.

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue."

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

You should get ElJay to send you some rhubarb. That made me feel awesome. [Smile]

I'm sorry you're having a rotten time, though. (((hugs)))

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch. What a week, indeed. Hang in there, Pops. It's the valley's that make the peaks so delightful.
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Pop

I couldn't read your post without a grin, because it made me think of today's Baby Blues comic strip sequence.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, FG -- it made me laugh, and that's good.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like you're having a craptastic week like I had a couple weeks ago (had to take one of the cats in for surgery and then take him in every other day for bandage changes making everyone crazy and adding up $wise, my hubby was rear ended in our nice car, and the power supply on my computer went out - all of this while trying to refinance our house and keep my truck limping along till we can buy a new vehicle). I had to keep telling myself "It's only money - everyone/everything will be fine." [Big Grin] Good luck with your week. Here's hoping it's all up from here. *hug*
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Plumber is here installing a new water heater. Well, he was -- went back home to grab the drip pan I asked to be included (I asked on the phone, and he forgot to bring it -- I'm not causing him extra work -- just sayin').

Hey, by the way... anyone got an old laptop they don't want any more? *smile*

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Figured while we were changing out the w/h anyway, I'd go from 40- to 50-gal so when the kids are teenagers we won't run out of water as often. There's plenty of room for a larger one.

Yeah, except that there wasn't quite enough room to fit the thing between the A/C and a cabinet to get to the place where there's room for a larger one. So I just finished helping the guy lift the thing over our heads and back down to get it in place. With a sick kid, I wasn't able to get to the gym today -- guess I made up for it.

Of course, we didn't try lifting it first -- we thought we would move the cabinet. It's in sections, so we emptied it out, then started removing the screws that connect it to the second section. Except the first two sections aren't two sections -- they're a two-part single section, and the screws I was removing don't connect them -- instead they hold up the shelves in the second part. And we hadn't emptied that one out. So one of the shelves is now dear-departed, and all the canned goods that fell off of it are dented.

Both kids slept through this -- I know not how -- so there's my silver lining.

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread title reminded me of a George Carlin joke about the phrase "in your own words."

Describe what happened in your own words?
Do you have your own words? I don't; I've been using the same ones everybody else does!
Next time somebody asks you to say something in your own words say "Zwip flurg yarmy kloooo!"

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

We have hot water!

Well, ok, actually we have warm water. Give it an hour, and then we'll have hot water.

punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Pop, I can sympathize with ya. Last Friday we had a new central air conditioning unit installed. Saturday I was at my shop working on some beadboard that we plan to install on our kitchen ceiling. I'm right in the middle of spraying oil base sealer on the salvaged beadboard, all cloaked up in long pants, long shirt, spray sock and spray mask when my cell phone rings. It's Cheri (my wife) telling me that our daughter had to shower with cold water and apparently our water heater isn't working. I struggle out of the spray wear and rush home. It appears that the AC guys shut off our gas and neglected to turn it back on. I get the valve turned but can't get the dang heater lit. I had to go back to my shop to finish priming the wood, clean up the sprayer and return home to again attempt to light the heater. During this time there were several calls to the AC guy. I finally got the water heater lit.

Today I get home to a dead computer. A frantic call to my computer guy and a quick trip to his house supplied me with a new power supply for the comp. Yayy I'm up and running again. Who knew that being a home owner would provide so much entertainment?

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Y'all are scaring me - I was going to make the call tomorrow to one of those real estate jockey's who can see you through A-Z.
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yowza. What a week!

Hope it gets better, and quick. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Papa Moose:

We live in a rented 30-year-old mobile home. According to the plumber, all the pipes need to be replaced. We've got a new water heater (last year) after the old one died. We've had four plumber visits this month alone.

When they replaced the water heater, they took it out loaded. When they got it on the back porch, the porch collapsed. It's still down.

I think the landlord is afraid to hear my voice when I call him - most of the time it's about a plumbing problem. [Eek!] [Angst]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Papa,
Just let me take a moment to commend you. Throughout the thread, you always refered to it properly as "water heater". It has always been one of my biggest pet peeves that in my region of the country people are always calling it their "hot water heater". I get red faced and say "It's not a HOT water heater -- it doesn't heat HOT water! It is a water heater, or if you want to get more technical, it is a cold water heater" (because it takes cold water and heats it up!).

Just 'water heater' please. Thank you. You just moved one notch higher on my list of really cool people.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
NOthing I can add to this thread but {{{{{{{Papa}}}}}}}}
and {{{{{{{punwit}}}}}}}}
and {{{{{{{cay}}}}}}}

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Um... our washing machine started working again yesterday. No idea why. It appeared to be the timer that was shot, so it wouldn't cycle -- we realized this after a load had been agitating for about three hours. Anyway, we needed to do some laundry, so I started the washer and set the timer in the kitchen so that I could manually change the cycle when it was time. And while I did have to move it from the wash cycle to the rinse cycle, it completed the rinse/spin on its own. Did a second load, and it worked from start to finish. Can I get a w00t?

Maybe it was just pissed at the old water heater?

FG, I say water heater rather than hot water heater in part because I managed the plumbing department at Sears for many years, much of which seemed spent correcting my salespeople on that particular issue *smile*. And don't even get me started on ATM machine.

Additionally, our new Dell arrived yesterday (I taught Mooselet to say "Dude, we're gettin' a Dell") -- hopefully I'll have time to connect it all today. And Mooselet is healthy, and Superstation is mostly healthy -- fever and rash gone, nose still running a bit. So just about everything is good now.

And then there's the fact that my mother-in-law arrives today and is staying for the weekend. Even without Monday being a holiday, this might seem like a long weekend, you know? *smile* <Loves his MIL. Really.>

--Pop

rivka
Member # 4859

I'm glad the washer has gotten over its snit.

And I want to hear Mooselet say the Dell tagline. [Big Grin]

Hope everyone stays healthy! [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
((((Pop))))

I missed this before. I'm happy things are starting to look better! [Smile]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Washer's out again, and Mooselet woke from his (sadly brief) nap with a fever. *sigh*
rivka
Member # 4859

Oy. [Frown]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.