FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Better Than the Do Not Call List

Author Topic: Better Than the Do Not Call List
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
We're on the Do Not Call List, but we still get repeated calls from various telemarketing companies.

That is, until recently.

One night, I was so harried and ticked off that (after recognizing the caller ID as a company who keeps trying to sell us a subscription to the paper we already subscribe to) I answered just as though I didn't speak English at all.

This is harder than it sounds. The only other language I'm at all proficient in is Spanish. But you can't use Spanish this way. Everyone speaks Spanish, most everyone probably better than I do.

It's actually best not to speak an actual language at all. Just remain phonetically consistant and sound irate. Japanese phonemes arranged nonsensically seem to work best, but YMMV.

I've been put on their non-English household list. [Big Grin] Still get the occassional auto-dialer, but that's no big.

I knew all those years trapped in Christian School with speaking-in-tongues holy rollers would pay off eventually. [Evil]

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, you could have gotten the same effect by asking to be put on their do not call list [Razz]

Then when they kept calling you they'd get huge fines.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and first thing that popped into my head when I read the thread title was "It would be cool if there was a Do Not Mess With list".
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
We actually did that, but if I don't have time to answer their stupid questions, do I really want to bother pursuing the fines? The point is to just leave me the heck alone, dangit!

[Wink]

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but her way is more fun fugu. [Wink]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
this is true...

kind of makes me wish we had caller ID

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to have to try that with politicians since they're exempt from the DNC list. (of course, it still won't help with the autocallers that play a tape of X Politician giving me a message Just For Me)

But since saying "No Engrish" has saved me time and time again in MMORPGs I don't know why I haven't thought of it for political telemarketing calls.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.