FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fairie Tales (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Fairie Tales
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
My son has started asking me to tell him a story each night as we go to bed.

I am looking for ideas.

What is your favorite Fairie Tale?

Note, I have rewritten "Little Red Riding Hood" as a Vampire story, so I'm not inclined to see it as a kids story any more.

And I saw a kids video of Pinnochio that got me wondering, what type of lonely old bachelor man carves anatomically correct wooden boys, and in the middle of the night screams "I wish you were a real boy."

It was a bad Japanese version and left me feeling just a bit icky by this Gippetto guy.

Also note that the full story of Sleeping Beauty was just a bit beyond his understanding.

So what are your favorite Fairie Tales?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
How old is your son?
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

4 going on 5
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
When I told stories to my girls and when I tell them to my twins, I always made them up as I went along, and got input from the kids. I'd start off with "Once Upon a Time there was a beautiful princess named....." and the girls would inevitably fill in their own name.

"One day the princess went to...." usually it was the zoo, or the circus, or her grandmother's house, whatever the kids wanted to fill in.

Then I'd go on from there, making it up as I went and trying not to repeat an ending that we'd already had. That can get tough, once Princess Natalie went to the zoo for about 12 nights in a row.

There are some wonderful books of stories at the library, look for those with folk tales from other countries, those can be really fun.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, for Sasha, you would say "Once there was an incredibly brave hero named....."

I imagine for him you'd leave out all the princess stuff. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
The Three Billy Goats Gruff. Goats are cool.

Also, not a "classic" fairie tale, but one of my favorite books to be read when I was a kid: The Gingerbears. It's about cookies that come alive and save christmas.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
4 going on 5

So I guess the one about privatized social security might be a little advanced for him. [Razz]

I read a lot of Aesop's Fables as a kid. But those might be a bit dry for a youngling.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Jack and the Beanstalk.

Jack kills a giant; Jack gets girl attached to harp; Jack gets gold.

A beautiful story, filled with beans, death, chicks and cash.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

I can't do Billy Goats Gruff. His class at daycare did that as a puppet show a couple of months ago. He'd be correcting me.

I can't do the "Make it up" bit because I'm trying to put him to sleep. He asks enough questions as it is. In fact, he plays the Make It Up game all by himself when he want to talk with me. I get some of the goofiest stories from him.

Valentine014
Member # 5981

I'm sure how religious you are, Dan, but a lot of children respond well to bible stories.

Any adventure stories are good. For example, Robin Hood, Tresure Island, The Wizard of Oz..

The Little Prince might be a good one for him.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

Peter Pan
The Little Mermaid
The Princess and the Pea
Thumbelina
The Ugly Duckling
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
The Three Little Pigs
Hansel and Gretel
Rapunzel
Rumpelstiltskin

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I once rewrote The Story of the Three Blind Mice showing the mice as hired hitmen meant to take out the farmer's wife. Instead of wearing black glasses, as I always picture them, they were night vision goggles. They were ninja mice who smoked cigars. Of course, it isn't appropriate. I should rewrite that from scratch.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Yes, but what was YOUR favorite fairy tale?

Mine was "The naughty little elf girl and the randy farm hand" but that's a different story all together.

Valentine014
Member # 5981

Probably it was a tie between A Little Match Girl and A Christmas Carol.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

My favorite bedtime story thing was.....what was my favorite bedtime story? I'm going to say The Real Story of the Three Little Pigs. The one from the wolf's point of view.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

When I got older it was Peter Pan.
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew Lang's coloured Fairy Books are fantastic collections of short fairy tales. (There's The Red Fairy Book and the green one, and blue and crimson and violet and so forth). They'd be great for one a night sort of reading. Some of them are a bit violent, but most real fairy tales are.
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Little red riding hood was never, ever intended for children like most Fairy tales.
I always liked the story of the sausage, the mouse and the bird.
It's amusing for some reason. A walking sausage that uses itself as seasoning.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

No, no, no I've got it! The Steadfast Tin Solder
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I always loved Rumplestiltskin best of all, although I was just a fan of stories in general. I really loved Baba Yaga as a child, bloodthirsty little monster that I was.

Try The Tasha Tudor Book of Fairy Tales. I still have the copy that's been read by all of my siblings as we grew up. It's gorgeous.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Forget fairy tales. Before I went to bed each night, I made my dad play transformers with me.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Don't start on Transformers. We don't get to watch much TV with him, but from his friends he's already picked up the good stuff. Last Saturday we were playing "Incredible Mutant Ninja Power Ranger Spiderman Cat" The Cat was his own addition.

There was one I read as a child in a childrens fairy tale book. Am I that strange or does anyone else remember "The Key game."

Me: "It goes like this. I say I'm some kind of lock, and you repeat that you are that kind of key. I say I am a Gold Lock, you say you are a Gold Key."

Victim: OK.

Me: I am a Gold Lock.
Vic: I am a Gold Key.
Me: I am a Silver Lock.
Vic: I am a Silver Key.
Me: I am a sunset lock.
Vic: I am a sunset key.
Me: I am a noon lock.
Vic: I am a noon key.
Me: I am a dawn lock.
Vic: I am a dawn key.
Me: What?
Vic: I am a dawn key.
Me: You sure are, hee haw, hee haw.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Hmmmm......that is....very....interesting. I'm glad I had an almost normal childhood.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Hmmmm......that is....very....interesting. I'm glad I had an almost normal childhood.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Woah....double post.....accidentally....now a triple post.....I think I won't fix it...
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh! Just remembered a wonderful story: The Brewery of Eggshells (you can read it atthis page, but you'll want to tell it a little differently to hold the interest) was one of my favorites, although the variant my dad told (halfway down) was an even bigger favorite.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that I love about my family is that they all gave me all their books of fairy tales, most of which I still have. A couple of my favorite stories (that I can remember the names of and find online) are Faithful John, which is pretty gruesome and The Princess on the Glass Hill which is kind of a male version of Cinderella.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, the Color Books are awesome. And Grimm Brothers tales.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
How about "The Story of Clarice and her Quiet Lambs"? or "Samara and the Well?"
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Yeah, the Color Books are awesome. And Grimm Brothers tales.

Ditto!

My favorite fairy tale. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[ROFL] That is a great story!
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, I always loved the True Story of the Three Little Pigs! But wait with Sasha until he's older for that one, and can appreciate all the humor.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I wound up telling my children a few stories about when I went camping-- and now all my son wants to hear about are stories from my childhood.

Whoda thunk? My life is more interesting that Jack the Giant killer's.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Most fairy tales confused me when I was a kid--why would stepmothers be so MEAN? (My cousin J.J. had an awesome stepmom who would sooner cut her own arm off than harm him)

Puss in Boots was my favorite, I think, because the cat was so brave.

For going to sleep, rhyming stuff is very mesmerizing. I used to tell my monkeyboy this poem I memorized:

There once was a puffin,
the shape of a muffin,
who lived on an isle in the bright blue sea.

He ate little fishes,
that was most delicious,
and he ate them for lunch, and he ate them for tea.

Well, this little puffin,
he couldn't play nuthin,
for there was no one on his island to play with at all.

So he sat on his isle,
and he cried for a while,
and he felt very lonely and he felt very small.

When UP comes the fishes,
who sez, "If you wishes,
you can have us for playmates and not as for tea."

So they all play together
in all kinds of weather,
and the puffin eats pancakes like you and like me!

[edit: attributed to Florence Page Jaques, thank you KarlEd!]

(use hand motions throughout, like a sort of hula, and at the end, point at the child on 'you' and point at yourself on 'me')

I have no idea if that is copyrighted material, btw, my friend Damien taught it to me one late night. It's a bit of a hippy story, don't you think? Hehe.

Oh, and when you say "UP came the fishes", it's very important to bring your cupped hands from your belly area swiftly over your head. It's funny somehow. *grin*

[ May 26, 2005, 07:28 AM: Message edited by: jexx ]

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
That. Is. Brilliant.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
My aunt used to read that puffin poem to me as a child. I think she read it from the "Poems and Rhymes" volume of Childcraft Encyclopoedia. I don't know if it is copyrighted or not, either. I grew up thinking most of the material in those volumes was traditional folk-lore type stuff.

[ May 26, 2005, 07:05 AM: Message edited by: KarlEd ]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
There are two different web pages I found on a Google search that quote the puffin poem and both attribute it to Florence Page Jaques. However I'm almost certain the word "island" in the seventh line is mis-quoted and should read "isle". (At any rate, "isle" keeps the rhyme and "island" unnecessarily destroys it.)

I also found a picture book on Amazon.com that illustrated the poem.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, KarlEd, thx for the links! How I recite the poem depends on how sleepy I am *grin*, and I must also tell you that I was slightly drunk on herbal tea and candlelight (and the beautiful boy teaching it to me) when I learned it. [Smile]

Should I remove parts of the poem to make it copyright hooha? I should at least attribute it there at the bottom.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite fairy tales are some of the lesser-known (but not totally obscure) ones. I like Jack the Giant-Killer, for instance. I also like that one that Baron Munchausen was partly based on (can't remember the name of the tale itself).
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Andrew Lang's coloured Fairy Books are fantastic collections of short fairy tales.
I totally agree. I wish I had new copies of these- my family's copies are falling apart.

EDIT: I like the story of Dick Whittington [Smile] .

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked "Riki Tiki Taffy" when i was a kid. it was a great story about a brave mongoose. I still think the mongoose is a cool animal. [Big Grin] [Laugh] [Blushing]
Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Rikki Tikki Tavi! That's from The Jungle Book!

Oooh, good story. [Smile]

Though my favorite fairy tale, in all its versions, is Beauty and the Beast.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
margarita
Member # 6856

- posted      Profile for margarita   Email margarita         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad summarized appropriate monster movies as bedtime stories. Like "Mothra." He even drew a little comic book to go along with it.

The other one I really liked was "Gorgo." Very reassuring that when the baby sea monster is captured and put on display in London, his mommy comes to save him.

"Mighty Joe Young" (the black and white version)was also good.

Of course, I got to see the movies, too. They made really good bedtime stories, though.

Posts: 54 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not so much the story as the delivery - facial animation, rising and falling tones and so forth.

As a kid, I read almost everything I could get my hands on - can't help you there.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
One book that popped into mind is Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears. I remember it mostly for the illustrations, which were pretty nifty, but I think the story is good too.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I had that on record! Awesome. [Smile] Then there was "The Elephant's Child".
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

The Walrus and the Carpenter by Lewis Carrol
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite fairy tale is the American Medical Association's Home Medical Guide/
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
I also just remembered Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes. Not quite the usual fairy tales, but kids find them hilarious. Great rhymes. I used to kill myself laughing at them when I was little. I think there's a couple other books of retold fairy tales by Dahl too, though I don't know the names.
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I second Kipling's mongeese (?) and other animal stories, and Farmer Giles of Ham is quite fun. That one can be enjoyed by both children and adults, i think
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.