FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » There can be...only one!

Author Topic: There can be...only one!
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/05/25/driver.decapitation.ap/index.html

I didn't use TinyURL mostly because I couldn't bring myself to cut this one short.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Heads up, there might be some great puns here!

[Smile]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, isn't [ROFL] a more appropriate smilie?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that just caps off my day.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I find that rather disturbing
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
That's horrible.. the victims family even asked for mercy...
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. You know, I just can't seem to find this funny, guys.
Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I too am missing the humor here. I guess I can sorta see why others might find it funny. But imagining this happening to me or someone I know, impossible for me to find it funny.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not funny. Humor is an attempt to deal with a world in which such a thing happens.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet his friend is looking down from heaven and cheering. Because the first time you drive drunk, you cease to be human. Thank hell there exists no breathalizer for anything else. <Removed sentence suggesting that others break the law. --PJ> I am only half-joking. Seriously, I would feel notably safer if most people drove coked up or stoned rather than drunk.

edit: I of course was too drunk to include the word feel last night.

[ May 26, 2005, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: Papa Janitor ]

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Trevor: I don't know that it counts does it? Didn't they have to use swords? I don't remember the Highlander movies all that well.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
A coworker’s daughter knows/knew both of them. She was at the courthouse yesterday for the sentencing. He got 5 years prison and 5 years probation.

Johnny was SO drunk he had no idea he had killed his friend. When a neighbor found the headless body hanging out of the pickup truck in the driveway, police went to look for the head by tracing the road from the bar where they’d been drinking to Johnny’s house.

Johnny got a life lesson on DUI but he is alive. He will have his friend on his conscience for the rest of his life.

Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Highlander mythology - all you have to do is lose your head. The justification for using swords - its the easiest weapon to decapitate with, but anything that severs the head counts as a "kill."

[u]Humor[/u]
It's a highly morbid, very extreme form of humor - but I do find it quite amusing.

If only because I hate to think what this person could have done to innocent bystanders and other motorists.

And before you ask, I don't count his buddy as innocent because he showed the same lack of judgement in choosing to drink to excess and either allowed his buddy to drive or was incapable of making the decision to stop his buddy from driving.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Its the kind of humor that makes you laugh when the guy gets his head blown off in Pulp Fiction. And I too find this oddly funny.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds like the freak accident of all freak accidents. Drunkenness aside, What are the chances of a car grazing a wire just as you stick your head out the window? I'm kinda curious as to why he pled guilty to vehicular homicide instead of manslaughter.

It's incredibly sad, in any case. [Frown]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

When your number is up, your number is up.

The extreme absurdity of the case adds to the "...you're joking, right?" element.

As to why he pled - I imagine he didn't have many options, depending on the prosecuting attorney.

-Trevor

Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know know what anyone finds funny about this...
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Chalk me up on the "finding it funny" list.

quote:
Police said Hutcherson was apparently unaware his friend had been decapitated -- and drove more than 10 miles to his parents' home, where he went inside and fell asleep with the headless body still in his truck.

I'm picturing the hangover the next morning. "Man, I feel like my head is about to just explode." -walks outside, sees truck- "You too, huh buddy?"

"Blood IS funny! Van is the winner!"
--Tanzit, Space Ghost Coast to Coast

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Heh.

Just how drunk do you have to be to not realize that:

1. Your buddy isn't saying all that much
2. Wow, am I wet - is it raining out?
3. C'mon dude, don't sleep in my truck

And the absolutely terrifying part - he was that drunk and managed to drive.

-Trevor

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.