FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I hate airports

Author Topic: I hate airports
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate 'em, I hate 'em, I HATE 'EM!
[Mad]

The flying is ok. I like flying and I like airplanes, but the airports suck. Is it too much to ask to just let me go frickin' home?!

After a fantastic vacation sailing in the BVI (woot!), we were supposed to get home yesterday. Two flights one hotel and nine hours later, I'm finally back. The second flight back was delayed becvause of "bad weather", so we missed our third flight (we landed about 20 minutes after it left). Then, they didn't have any more flights until this morning. So we had to get a hotel room and get about 4 hours of sleep so we could get to the airport when they wanted us to.

But I'm back. I can sleep in my own bed now. [Smile]

...and even better...I can go see Star Wars now! [Wink]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I'm glad you're home. But *looks around cautiously and whispers* can you try not to get airports mad at Hatrack? rivka is on a plane right now, and Jim-Me is flying in tonight, and this forecast of "possible scattered thunderstorms" is making me nervous.

Thanks. *eyes sky nervously*

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I will NEVER go through Cincinatti airport again. I would rather walk to the next airport than have to go through there. The last time I was there, I had a 10 hour layover (a half hour at a time), and this time we had to just stay overnight.

Good luck to those of you flying though. I hope you guys don't get any delays or have any trouble. [Smile]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imenimok
Member # 7679

- posted      Profile for imenimok           Edit/Delete Post 
I could live in the Pittsburgh airport.
If I never set foot in the Tallahassee airport again, I will die happy.

Bummer that your return trip was such a hassle, Eruve. I had a total of 5 flights to FL and back, and somehow, I made them all. Did the airline pay for the hotel?

Posts: 226 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure you see EpIII in the new DLP-equipped Camelot... [Smile]
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

quote:
Bummer that your return trip was such a hassle, Eruve. I had a total of 5 flights to FL and back, and somehow, I made them all. Did the airline pay for the hotel?
They gave us a discount I think. My Dad was the one paying, so I didn't really pay much attention.
imenimok
Member # 7679

Ah. Well, I'm glad you made it home eventually.
Posts: 226 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Pittsburgh is definitely a sweet airport. What I hate is airports like Reagan National (I think that was it) where you have to go through security AGAIN as you sprint from one arm of the airport to the next. Carrying Christmas presents and a baby. With tickets that have the S for sucks, I mean, Detailed Security. [Mad]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It can hardly be a coincidence that no language on Earth has ever produced the expression "as pretty as an airport".
I would post the rest of the quote, but with the latest crackdown with copyrights I'll forego that. The first three paragraphs to Long Dark Teatime of the Soul (DNA of course) rank up there for one of the best beginning to a book.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Some airports definitely suck (e.g., Newark and Philadelphia), but I really like some other airports. I may be in the minority, but I like Hartsfield (in Atlanta).

Airports I've enjoyed:

Hartsfield
Frankfurt, Germany
SEA-TAC
Chicago Midway

Airports that made me want to kill people:

Philadelphia
Moscow
Dulles (D.C.)
Newark

And, feyd, I LOVE the Long, Dark Teatime of the Soul. While I love the Hitchhiker series, of course, the Dirk Gently books are my favorites of his work.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I have fond memories of the Airport in Frankfurt. I flew into europe for a study abroad class, and beat my prof and classmates to Frankfurt by about four hours. Most of that was spent on the tram reading, and going in loops around the airport.

Much Fun.

I'm fond of DFW, but I know I'm in a minority there. I'm less fond of Sky Harbor, and I know I'm not a minority in that. O'Hare... I don't think I was conscious enough to remember feelings about it.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faire
Member # 8065

- posted      Profile for Faire   Email Faire         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I'm glad I almost never have to deal with commerical airports.

My dad owns an aircraft refinishing company, and whenever we can, we fly private or charter jets out of his airport and land at similar places around the world. Customs can be more difficult and it's a longer wait to get cleared, but there's usually somewhere comfortable we can wait, and the planes are always nicer.

I did fly into Miami airport coming home from Costa Rica, however, and it actually made me cry, it was so terrible. I couldn't believe it. I'm never flying American Airlines again. I wrote letters and made angry phone calls after that experience.

I hate Miami airport.

Toronto airport is actually pretty good though, and Heathrow was pretty cool. I think Charles De Galle (i think) in Paris is my favourite so far. It's pretty cool.

Posts: 17 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

heh...adam, my view of the Philly airport may be colored by the fact that I've been in it twice...once on my way to England, and once on my way back.

The way there was Christmas Day, the same day as the work stoppage. I was delayed in that airport for 10 hours, finally leaving at 3 AM, LOOOONG past the time when I could've actually purchased any food.

The way back...the flight landed late. It was an international flight, so we had to collect our luggage, have it re-screen and re-checked, and then sprint through the airport only to run into a MASSIVE line with the RUDEST airport security people ever...to be the ABSOLUTE last people loaded on to the plane, and have our luggage miss the flight, to be delivered to us next morning.

IAD...see, the tanks are not a plus for me.

And, Newark is another one of those airports that I was delayed at for an ABSURD amount of time, with nothing to do. It's poorly designed and ugly to boot.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

I have mixed feelings about the Miami airport.

I should add the Santiago airport to my hate list, though.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
AW... thanks for the Douglas Adams... one of my faves of his and I'm now ashamed not to have used it.

Looking forward to seeing DFW again in about 7 hrs...

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say that I believe that HELL is probably modeled on Atlanta's airport. That place is a nightmare

Anyone have tips on JFK?? We're flying IAH to JFK and then JFK to Ireland in about two weeks - the kicker is that Continental and Aer Lingus don't have reciprocal ticketing agreements, so we have to retrieve our bags and check in again at JFK both ways... [Grumble]

Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imenimok
Member # 7679

Moscow. Oh my. My first time was straight of out one of those movie scenes where everything is dark except there is a spotlight on you tied to a chair and when the lights do come on, you're in some old warehouse staring at a couple of angry, knife-weilding thugs.

The second time, it was daylight, so not quite so imposing.

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I think O'Hare is rather pretty. And Paris - De Gaulle is just frickin' sweet with the Jetsons tubes.

The only airports I'm not too fond of are Green Bay, Wisconsin because there are no signs telling you where to go and Salt Lake City because there is NO CHINESE FOOD ANYWHERE!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

My Moscow airport experience:

I flew into Russia via St. Petersburg and out via Moscow (long story), so I've only been in it once. Since it was an international flight, we got there monumentally early (4-5 hours before flight time). We checked in, but were told we couldn't check our luggage until closer to the flight time. They then ushered us through the first security check.

Well, after that, there was another security check, which we could only pass through within two hours (I think) of our flight time. Bleah. So, we went to go back out--nothing doing. We stood in the little no-man's-land between the two checkpoints for three hours. No place to sit, nothing to do.

And, yes, Useless Air was responsible for what happened on our outbound flight and for the late landing. They cannot, however, take the blame for the rudest airport personnel ever. That, I blame entirely on Philly.

Oh, and...
quote:
The tanks are the best!
Spoken like a true youth. [Big Grin]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] Did he ever figure out what (other than your magnetic personality [Wink] ) was setting it off?

Airports. [Razz]

Check-in and security at American @ LAX on Friday: 60+ minutes.

Check-in and security at American @ DFW this evening: 10 minutes.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I like airports for the same reasons I like train stations: The comings and goings of people. It's a hub, a starburst.

[Smile]

I don't like being stranded there as much as anyone, but to be there passing through...

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I may be in the minority, but I like Hartsfield (in Atlanta).

Well, I certainly don't agree with you. But then, I may have been biased by having to lug a baby, a car seat, a backpack diaper bag, and a bag full of baby food and utensils through two terminals (having, of course, forgotten the stroller.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.