FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What does your screen name mean? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What does your screen name mean?
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Mine means that I didn't get to choose my screen name.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Does my screenname HAVE to mean something?

Oh well, Steve Rogers is the name of the man who became Captain America. I'm American, a guy, and I like Marvel Comics, specifically Captain America/The Avengers.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
El JT de Spang is how I would have been known if I lived in Spain about 400 years ago.

I'm not sure why I picked it. I was in a whimsical mood that day, as I recall.

Also, someone already had my usual sn - jtspang
(that someone was me, from a previous hatrack spell. I couldn't remember my password, and the email with the account is dead.).

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sartorius
Member # 7696

- posted      Profile for Sartorius   Email Sartorius         Edit/Delete Post 
The sartorius is a muscle of the medial thigh. I was in the middle of an anatomy class when I signed up.
Posts: 152 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
You tell me? (or not)
Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
"Rackhams"-from Mazer Rackham and "Razor"-from Ockham's Razor (or Occam-however you spell it)

Though I can't take credit for this name since it was my boyfriend who made it up just for me [Smile]

Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] I signed onto Hatrack during my 'summer of C.S. Lewis.' Obviously. I had read those books for the first time that summer (I was 21) and they meant a lot to me. They continue to mean a lot to me.

And now I get to see my name in a bunch of threads about the upcoming film!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how many of these threads we've had now.

:)

I wonder if anyone knows where mine comes from.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zemra
Member # 5706

- posted      Profile for Zemra   Email Zemra         Edit/Delete Post 
My name is Albanian and it means Sweetheart, well literaly it means heart. My husband always refers to me as Zemra in the sweetheart kind of meaning.

link

Posts: 69 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
lesseee, if I remember right, afr works in robotics? =)
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boris:
Wouldn't that be Nigol_Eman?
*runs away screaming*

Hey! What do you know? I thought I reversed it, but I guess I only mixed it up a little. Heh ^_^'
Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
My screen name means "Lisa, Daughter of Glen". [Smile]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Goody Scrivener:
lesseee, if I remember right, afr works in robotics? =)

That's the classic Chicken and Egg assumption. :)
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
My screen name is the name of a Roman Stoic Philosopher who influenced Marcus Aurelius.

One of the more famous things he wrote was:

Some things are in our control and others not. Things in our control are opinion,
pursuit, desire, aversion, and, in a word, whatever are our own actions. Things not in our
control are body, property, reputation, command, and, in one word, whatever are not our own
actions.

Also, I looked up the pronunciation for it, so that I wouldn't cause any more headaches: ep-ic-tee-tus
Click this link and click on the little sound clip to hear it:

http://www.bartleby.com/61/57/E0175700.html

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
Coccinelle is the French word for ladybug and I always thought it was a very pretty sounding word.
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
First initial + Last name. Simple, really.
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is self-explanatory. Although, as Hobbes pointed out one time, mine should be FarmWoman instead of Farmgirl (since I'm 44), so I promptly went and reserved THAT username as well, for future use maybe, as an alias.

So johnsonweed - send me a photo of some Johnsongrass, to settle a dispute I'm having with a neighbor about that particular bane to farm existance. They insist I rid my back field of it -- I insist what I have showing there is not Johnsongrass. (which is consider a noxious weed in these parts).

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
FG,

I'm not sure how to upload images on this board. Here is a link to a google search. The scientific name is Sorghum halepense.

http://images.google.com/images?q=sorghum+halepense&hl=en&btnG=Search+Images

[ May 31, 2005, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: johnsonweed ]

Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imenimok
Member # 7679

- posted      Profile for imenimok           Edit/Delete Post 
<---- An acronym.
Posts: 226 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was little, my dad and I would go out all the time at night to spot constellations. It was one of my favourite hobbies. I memorized all the figures and the Greek mythology that went with them, and I used to make up stories about the constellations and/or the other Greek gods interacting with each other. Well, Asta is a old name I've always liked that's related to the word for star in Greek (also Latin and Persian, I think). If you add an 'r' to asta you get 'a star', which is a fun not-quite-coincidence. Add to that the fact that I had a cold the day I registered, and you get the il(l) on the end of it.

Or, you know, I might have just thrown some letters I liked together... [Wink] (Although I *did* notice the whole asta/star thing just after I made it up and that made me like it even more, as the rest of the story above is actually true too.)

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
My original name on this forum was turin_4 . I picked that because it was my email address, and I picked that because it was the name of one of my favorite characters from JRR Tolkien, the tragic, doomed hero Turin Turambar, from the Silmarillion.

Eventually I got tired of the underscore in my name, and the lack of capitalization [Wink] , so I picked Rakeesh, which is the name of one of my favorite characters from a series of computer games, Quest for Glory. Rakeesh was a Liontaur Paladin from the land of Tarna, who had renounced the throne of his kingdom in order to pursue good, peace, and all that jazz.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Jenny Gardener was my first character in the 1830's forum. Some of my others were Trout Fisher, Pike Fisher, Cain Hotblood (a horse), James X (formerly James Executioner), Ambrose Milliner, and Henny Featherbairn. Jenny's been with me the longest, and I answer to that name at Hatrack gatherings. Also, since it is so familiar to me, I use it as an alternate name if I don't want to give out my real name.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
This, by the way, isn't too confusing at all when you first meet her. Thankfully I was introduced with your real name, and then later had other hatrack heads calling you Jenny every so often.

[Smile]

It took me a while to figure out why people were calling some guy Slash half the time, too. Heh.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
Pen name.
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
(slaps Sharpie's wrist with a permanent marker)
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
My name is my name. It is lower case because this was the first forum I'd ever signed up for and didn't realize I couldn't capitalize it later.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch, romany. *That's* gonna leave a mark.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chupacabras
Member # 6840

- posted      Profile for Chupacabras   Email Chupacabras         Edit/Delete Post 
My good friend Pancho Villa, says to me, he says: "someday you are going to learn to drink from a glass."
Posts: 35 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
my name means "sorry katharina" among other things. (didn't realize you were so fragile)

but, I expect she's not, and, so, my name means squat, or "snot" with adjacent descriptive terms applied laboriously, or in haste.

*pinches a nostril and blows*

Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
*The cantankerous crocodillian observes the mucussious farmer person with mild delight*
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpie:
Pen name.

Oh, man. That made me laugh [Smile]
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Urinal Moving Truck Animal Skin
Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy
Member # 8181

- posted      Profile for Randy   Email Randy         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I wish I knew.

I've tried researching it.

The explanation is always "Shield Wolf." As if that explains anything. What the bloody blue blazes is a shield wolf?

If Randolph means shield wolf, then wouldn't Randy just mean shield?* Shieldy? Um, no thanks. Dunno (and you English people who have a different definition for "randy," I don't want to hear from you).

I guess there aren't enough Randys out there to create enough demand to get this question answered once and for all.

Wish I knew what a shield wolf was.

*Edit: After a little more research, I think the "Ran" part means "wolf," not "shield," so I got the best part. Wolf. Cool. Maybe I can get a job at CNN.

[ June 07, 2005, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Randy ]

Posts: 21 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dread Pendragon
Member # 7239

- posted      Profile for Dread Pendragon   Email Dread Pendragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading C.S. Lewis' Perelandra at the time. *looks down in shame* I actually hadn't heard of "Pendragon" before, not being the book learnin' type. I googled it and saw a reference to "Dread Pendragon" and thought it was a cool title.
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
Crotalus = The genus name of most rattlesnakes. Latin for "rattle".
Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine, as is clear, is Kigamcod, cleverly disguised by spelling it backwards.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm another one who just threw letters together to make a cool-sounding word. I had never had a screen name before, so I didn't know what I was supposed to use.

It's been handy, though. I have a matching email address and AIM name without underscores or numbers because it's a non-word that no one else wants to steal. [Smile]

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought "brinestone" was a clever way to say "salt crystal" -- it's not?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProverbialSunrise
Member # 7771

- posted      Profile for ProverbialSunrise   Email ProverbialSunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
My name is from one of my favourite songs.
"I watch the Proverbial Sunrise coming up over the Pacific."
I so Hate Consequences - Relient K

Posts: 132 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
firstnamelastinitial
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
His Savageness
Member # 7428

- posted      Profile for His Savageness   Email His Savageness         Edit/Delete Post 
The story behind my screen name is rather long and ridiculous, perhaps some other time...

For now suffice it to say that I view "His Savageness" as a title. It's kind of like "His Majesty," but denotes someone of extreme savageness.

Posts: 194 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing to complicated. I'm from South Carolina and wood carving is my hobby.
Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For now suffice it to say that I view "His Savageness" as a title. It's kind of like "His Majesty," but denotes someone of extreme savageness.
Aaaaahhh.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante = Aunt (which is what my nephews call me)
Shvester = Sister (which a bunch of my friends call me, partly because it rhymes with my actual name, Esther.

My husband calls me "Babydoll", but he's the only one I let get away with that.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
"Verily" from Verily Cooper, from the Alvin Maker books.

"The Younger", modelled after such historical figures as William Pitt the Younger or Pliny the Younger, in an attempt to give the impression that my persona was somehow descended from the original Verily and named after him.

Actually, I just really like the name "Verily", and tacked "the Younger" on to it to sort of make it my own. The whole "descended from Verily" thing never actually caught on in my own head. I just liked the way the whole thing sounded.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to use Kris (VA) on other sites, then moved from Virginia to Georgia, but didn't really know if I was going to stay here or not and didn't want to change my identity every time I changed my location, so went w/ Uprooted. Plus I like gardening.

Not that any of you were wondering, since this is only my second post here!

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. I have no idea if I've responded to this particular iteration of the "explanation of screen names" thread or not.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, looks like I haven't.

Noemon is a ancient Greek name that means "thoughtful". That describes the approach I take to the forum, so I decided to take it as my name here. Noemon is also a minor character in the Iliad, but that doesn't have anything to do with why I took the name.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
Random Access Memory Digital to Analog Converter, the component that allows computers to output multi color displays. Started using it way back in High school and it just stuck....it's my AIM screename too.
Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Freshman year of HS I had this hideous class and we had this hideous assignment and while writing it I just typed out a bunch of random letters and got 'kojabu' so I've used it since then for things like my website, my SN, my email account, etc.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.