FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Young boy with cancer named Zack, referred to by someone named Dan.

Author Topic: Young boy with cancer named Zack, referred to by someone named Dan.
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone on hatrack, about 2-3 years ago, posted a thread about a young boy with cancer, and wanted hatrackers to send gifts or cards to him. I know that hatracker's real first name was Dan, and that the boy's name is Zack. He liked power rangers.

My best guess would be Dan_raven, but I wanted to post this instead of emailing him, in case anyone else was interested, or if someone else remembers this thread.

See back when Dan made the thread, I went out and bought a power rangers action figure for Zack, packed it, and shipped it out to the address Dan posted. The shipping wasn't cheap, and this wasn't a financially good time for me.

Then Dan posted that the address he gave us was wrong, and gave us the new address, and that he was sorry. Unfortunately mine was already shipped, and I ended up getting it back around two weeks later. I ended up not sending it again [Frown] .

It was too long ago to remember why I didn't, but I feel really bad when I think about it. I must have been planning on resending it at some point, since I kept the package. I think what happened was that I forgot the hatracker who posted the thread, and that I was too embarassed to make a thread of my own about it. I ended up taking it with me through three moves. Finally I ended up opening it the other day, and me and Niki gave away the action figure on freecycle.

But then today when going to throw away the packaging, Niki noticed that there was a card in there too. It was a really cute card about a turtle getting back from being flipped on its back. The card had "Zack" written on it, and the message says its from "Phil (Xavier), a friend of Dan's". So thats how I know the boy's name, and who posted the thread.

What I am wondering here is who Dan is (I still think it was Dan_raven), and perhaps if I can get an update about Zack. Remembering the original thread, his prognosis wasn't good at all at the time, and if I had to guess it would be that he is no longer with us [Frown] .

I hope not though...

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you remember how long ago it was?

Oops, just re-read. Never mind me...

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
I found this: http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=024751#000005

quote:
About two years ago I asked everyone to send cards to little Zack, a coworkers young son who developed cancer.

After years of treatments and hospitals, he is doing much better--almost considered officially cured.

Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

[Big Grin]

Yay!

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Seeing that post has pretty much made my day [Smile] .

I still owe him a toy though.

Is he still into power rangers (probably not)?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
If he's not, you can give it to Toys for Tots or a local hospital. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

I am glad to hear it is good news!

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Zach is doing great, in full remission, and being a little boy.

don't send using the old addresses from that thread though. They have moved at least twice since then.

Its a long story you don't want to know.

I can see about getting you the good address shortly.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

I gave away the power ranger a few days ago (it was a long post, I forgive you two for missing that detail [Wink] ).

I was just thinking I still owe him one toy, since he never got the other one. I now am in a good financial situtation, and like buying toys anyway, so I thought I would get him something new.

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
yay! I think I remember that... Glad he's doing beter!
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.