FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Painting with oils

Author Topic: Painting with oils
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone here have any advice? Any particular technique tips or practices to learn?

Thanks!

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. But it sounds like fun.

Personally, I'd like to take a basic drawing class. Because I've always wanted to and have no skills in that area whatsoever. But I've always wanted to!

So, anyone? Anyone? [Smile]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
My friend teaches oil and tole painting classes. You should come visit me and take some!

[Big Grin]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janger
Member # 4719

- posted      Profile for Janger   Email Janger         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, an art discussion. May people who have extra time give some suggestion and criticisms for some of my art.(My scanner sucks so the quality isn't that good)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/G-Hoon/RurouniKenshin.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/G-Hoon/cloud.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/G-Hoon/Musa.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/G-Hoon/editcharacterdesign.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/G-Hoon/editcharacterdesigncrop.jpg

Posts: 48 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Boon: The last person to invite me was surprised when I -- several weeks later -- took up the offer, called, and asked when I could come. So be careful [Wink] . But if the offer is serious, I might be interested. I get these random spasms of wanderlust...it fills me more with every day that passes, and I am almost always ready to pack my bags, get on a bus or something and move on out.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I love it, but I don't formally know how. I wish you luck, though. [Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I do it, just as a hobby. I am not good, but I do not need to be. It's the one thing I do that I will not give up on until it is perfect.

If you don't know about color, go to the craft store and get one of those little How-To-Paint books about color. It will show you what different colors will do to each other and how to create your own. That was the most helpful I did: that way I could get all the different colors without spending a fortune and being unsatisfied.

Do you have any supplies right now? I could give you a list of minimum supplies. What kind of info are you looking for?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I'm serious with the offer. I'm having a birthday party at the end of this month that everyone's invited to as well. [Smile]

I don't know how much she charges for lessons, but I can call her if you're serious. She used to sell supplies in her studio, but I don't think she does anymore. (To be honest, I haven't been in her studio in more than a year. I mostly see her socially.) She's very talented. She and her students usually take the top prizes at the fairs they enter.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liaison
Member # 6873

- posted      Profile for Liaison   Email Liaison         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you had any other painting experience Phanto? It's not too difficult to pick up if you have. I love oils for richness and blendability, but they're so high maintenance that I usually just stick to acrylics.
When I use oils this is my setup:
-Canvas...of course.
-I use a paper palette, which is a pad of slighty waxy paper. I squeeze my paints out on this.
-Latex gloves. Oils are very difficult to wash off of anything, especially your hands.
-A cotton rag. I tore up an old bed sheet into 5x5 squares. I keep it in my left hand pretty much the whole time I'm painting, while I paint with my right. I use it to wipe excess paint or liquid from the brush.
-A palette knife. Extremely useful in mixing paints and as a painting tool.
-A container of mineral spirits. They smell far less noxious than turpentine. This is to clean the brush and to thin the paint.
-A smock or old shirt. Don't wear anything you wouldn't mind throwing out. Oils stick and stain real nastylike.

I hope that helps, at least just for a start. And I agree with katharina about color. But if you've painted before you probably have a good amount of knowledge. Good luck and happy painting!

Posts: 81 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice drawings, Janger.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Start with dry brush technique, where you have a very small amount of paint on the brush and apply the paint very thinly. It's easier to control than if you have a fully loaded brush. Draw whatever you're going to paint carefully on the canvas first, solving especially the lights and darks, so you know exactly where they are. It's a good idea to do this in thin dark paint (thinned with turps so it dries quickly), usually dark blue or burnt umber is best. Get as much detail into this stage as you can, as it means that when you're applying colour and top layers of paint it's one (or several) less thing to think about. Enjoy.
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

Plus start painting the dark areas first and move progressively to the lightest areas. Lighter the area, thicker the paint.
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

And wash your brushes in warm soapy water, after a preliminary clean in turps or spirits.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.