FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Firefly Question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Firefly Question
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, the first disk over on Netflix is perpetually on "Long Wait."

Is this a series I need to see in order, or can I start with any disk?

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
in order.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely watch it in order. A major reason Firefly never took off while on the air was that Fox aired it out of order, actually showing the two-hour pilot last.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
It's well worth the 35$ to buy the DVDs. If I'd just charge rental fees to my friends and family, I'd have made my money back by now.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Odd. I didn't have to wait. But I would second Frisco's statement--after renting the series, I asked for it for my birthday. You will probably want to become a Firefly evangelist (more fans = more people going to see Serenity = more movies), and the best way to do that is to own your own set, so you can lend it to people.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Without question see it in order.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
And, at the moment, Amazon has it for $29.99.

Just sayin'.

[ June 03, 2005, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Have there been two Firefly DVD sets, one with less commentary, and one more? If so, how can I tell which is which?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
No, there's only the one set.
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Thanks for the answers. I guess I got a birthday comin' up.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Firefly is worth the birthday present!
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
If you haven't already, try going ahead and putting it as #1 in your queue -- even if it says "long wait," you might get it soon anyway. Netflix shows the Battlestar Galactica miniseries as being "long wait," but I just put it as #1 in my queue and got it right away... [Cool]
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see it in order and I was fine. One of my friends gave me a short intro of all the characters and the situation and I saw "Our Mrs. Reynolds" first. Whenever I show it to people I always skip "Serenity" which I think is slow and rather boring and just start them out on "The Train Job."
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Slow and boring or not, it introduces and sets up the main characters. They're both on the same disc, no reason not to watch them in order.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't watched the pilot (serenity) and I think I'm ok, but I was given a good explanation. We did watch most of the others in order, but they skipped one so we could watch "Our Mrs. Reynolds" before it was time to go home.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Our Mrs. Reynolds was the show that made me love the series. I saw The Train Job and the The Pilot before, and they were good and not boring, but I wasn't really hooked. Our Mrs. Reynolds did such a good job highlighting everyone's character that I felt like I knew them then.

That, and Malcolm's final comment. Completely believable! So typical! Oh my stars! [Razz]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris- if I only have one episode to get them hooked, I'm sure not going to show them what I think is one of the weakest episodes when there's another that will serve just as well.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

That's the first time I've heard anyone describe "Serenity" as one of the weakest episodes. [Smile] Firefly haters aside, just about everyone I've shown the series to agrees that it's one of the (if not THE) best episodes.

Diff'rent strokes, I guess. [Wink]

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

I've had it at the top of my queue for nearly a month, with my fingers crossed.

Which makes it hard to type these posts.

And I hardly ever buy movies I haven't seen yet--that's just too much commitment for me for something I don't know well enough. Sort of like an arranged marriage.

1lobo1
Member # 7762

- posted      Profile for 1lobo1   Email 1lobo1         Edit/Delete Post 
If you enjoy well made television with real humor and drama with an interesting universe on top...just go out and buy it!
Posts: 54 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

I'm with you, Tarrsk. Serenity is my favorite episode, with Out Of Gas running a close second.

Slow? Boring? What?!

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Trash and Our Mrs Reynolds. Can you guess which character I like? =)
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Um, actually, no . . .
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I shouldn't have read this thread. I've justified all of my purchases this week as "graduation presents"...for myself of course. This seems like a good one, albeit $35 that I should NOT spend because it's really for classes later.

Darn you all!

*grapples with doubt and logic*

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

Buy it, Narnia! It is your DESTINY!

Whoops, wrong universe. [Wink]

Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
Wrong universe or not, it's still her destiny to have her very own copy.

These little things below are here just because this thread is about Firefly.
[Wave] [Big Grin] [Hat] [Party]

Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Narnia, You could always do some exciting new crime.

(Please do not do exciting new crime.)

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if it'll be necessary to have watched the Firefly series to watch the new movie? I don't really want to spend too much money on a series I've never seen before, so I was going to use the movie to judge...
Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
You'll like the movie a lot better for having seen the series, though I'm sure you'd like it either way.

I'm sure someone'll let you borrow it.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Yeah, the movie caters a bit to those who've already seen the show, in my opinion.

Of course, I didn't talk to anyone at the screening who hadn't seen the show, so I could be talking out my ass.

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
That's been known to have happened before Eddie, so we won't be shocked. [Wink]

I'm going to try to wait until after next week when my tuition comes flying through my bank account, yanking out most of the funds. Then, I will have successfully finished my year of student teaching and I'll definitely deserve a reward.

Keep talking me into it folks. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

From what I've heard (although keep in mind that this is very limited, as I am avoiding spoilers like a mofo), non-Firefly fans seem to be enjoying the movie very much. I would *guess* that the stuff for fans comes mostly from continuity references and character moments rather than inexplicable plot revelations.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I need to rewatch the pilot. I saw it as the first Firefly episode, and I haven't seen it since.

I did love Out of Gas. My favorite was the adoption of Jayne. "This isn't funny!" "I'm not laughing!"

Narnia: It is wonderful. Totally worth it. Of course, I haven't gotten mine yet. I spent the money for it on a haircut instead. What was I thinking?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by blacwolve:
Chris- if I only have one episode to get them hooked, I'm sure not going to show them what I think is one of the weakest episodes when there's another that will serve just as well.

For what it's worth, I'm with you. I thought "The Train Job" was a better introduction to the series than the original pilot. (Which is not to say that trimming the heck out of the original pilot might not have been a reasonable alternative...)
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ginol_Enam:
Does anyone know if it'll be necessary to have watched the Firefly series to watch the new movie? I don't really want to spend too much money on a series I've never seen before, so I was going to use the movie to judge...

I know somebody who'd never seen the show, went to the movie, loved it, and resolved to sit down and watch the entire series. On the other hand, she was already a Joss Whedon fan... how somebody not versed in the Ways of Whedon would react is, to me, the big question.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have never been interested in checking out Buffy if I hadn't fallen in love with Firefly.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I would have never been interested in checking out Buffy if I hadn't fallen in love with Firefly.

Ditto. I never saw Buffy before Firefly, now I'm going back and having lots of fun watching Buffy. [Smile]
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
My favourite episodes are the last three (Heart of Gold, The Message, and Objects in Space). Whenever I watch the series (when introducing someone new to it) I always feel like the first eleven episodes are all well and good but they're really just building up for the last three.

Though "I knew you let her kiss you!" is one of my favourite lines ever. [Big Grin]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I know you feel that way twinky, but The Message is one of my least favorite episodes. If I had to pick three favorites at the moment they'd be (in no particular order) Out of Gas, War Stories, and Objects in Space.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I still get shivers when I think of Out of Gas and Objects in Space.

I'm hoping that I get Firefly for my birthday, so I can watch it with impunity.

Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Objects in Space is DEFINATELY my favorite episode, by far. Of course, thats not saying much about the rest cause I really love Firefly (I have blackwolve to thank for that, she made me watch it [Big Grin] ). Second favorite... would probably just be the rest of the series [Big Grin] I like Out of Gas a lot, and War Stories and Ariel and... oh heck all of the rest of them [Razz]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Disc 3 is shipping today!

Ah, the joys of having a major Netflix hub just down the freeway (in San Jose).

What's great about seeing them again is that it's been so long since the series originally aired, that I can vaguely remember if I have seen an episode or not, but don't remember all that happened.

It's like falling in love all over again. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Well, it's settled.

They're shipping me disc 1 tommorrow.

Blackmail works.

Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
If you sign up for Amazon.com's Visa card, you get a $30 "promotional" thingy, and i got Firefly for free!
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what we did, Leonide - except we took advantage of the sale on the Wonderfalls boxset. We got both (including shipping) for one cent less than the Wonderfalls $23.99 sale price.
Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I know! Reading about it on Vana's Livejournal is how I learned about it! :0)
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Eruve
Member # 6883

- posted      Profile for Lady Eruve   Email Lady Eruve         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished watching the DVDs. [Big Grin] I was surprised to find that I actually did see most of the episodes on TV. I had forgotten how great that show was, and now I can't wait for the movie! *bounce*
Posts: 55 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

From the review I posted on my blog:

I've been reading Firefly hype everywhere, so I've been anxious to give the show a shot. Last night, I watched the pilot episode, "Serenity." I must say I was enjoying it--until they stumbled upon my pet peeve in all of television, and committed the nearly unforgivable sin.

Needless to say, "Serenity" spoilers follow.

The absolute, positively worst thing a filmmaker can do--especially in sci-fi--is mock the viewer for believing. The second you do that, you absolutely destroy the willing suspension of disbelief, and you drive the viewer right out of your story. Trust is destroyed--at that point, if their heart was ever in it, it has stopped being in it, and you will have to work even harder to get them back.

As you've probably guessed, "Serenity" has one of these moments. There's a character who is shot, and though she spends most of the episode trying to recover, there's a moment when "the hand falls." Now, if at that point she'd have turned out to be alive, I'd have been okay with that. But then, the guy who dropped her hand actually tells someone she's dead.

Now I knew the character wasn't dead. She's on the IMDB cast lists, and she's in the opening credits montage. So when I see the religious character headed towards the girl, I think, "Ah. There's going to be a fantasy element here, where they bring her back from the dead."

But it's nothing so profound as that. See, it was a joke.

The character was joking when he told the other character the girl was dead, and, apparently, joking when he let her hand fall. He and the other characters get a good laugh out of this.

Except the real joke isn't on any of the characters--it's on the viewer. And when you mock your viewer for believing you, you lose them.

I'm not saying I'm not going to continue watching the show, nor that the show has no redeeming qualities. I will and it does.

That was like something out of a student script, though. I hope the rest of the games they play aren't as amateur.

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
No, he let her hand fall when she went to sleep and he left, then he went and made the joke. The joke was on both Simon and the viewers.

And a joke does not have to be mocking.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

I loved that part. [Big Grin]

But then again, I saw the pilot first, and before hearing anything about the show, so I thought it totally feasible that she was dead.

Of course, I have a sick sense of humor, too.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.