FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Do things get worse? Or do old people get out of touch?

Author Topic: Do things get worse? Or do old people get out of touch?
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not one of those folks who freaks out every time some change gets made to something I knew from when I was a kid.

Every time I'm tempted to wax poetic about the virtues of the original Star Wars movies or how cool the original Legend of Zelda was, I just imagine if my Dad had tried to convince me that those old 12" GIJoe figures he had as a kid were somehow better or more "real" than my little Zartan and Snake Eyes figures.

"Yeah, whatever, Dad," I would have thought. "You can keep your wanna-be Ken doll."

But still, a part of me still feels that the 80's was a sort of Renaissance for toys and children's programming the likes of which we have not seen since.

I watched some show with my kids the other day that seemed to be an animated version of two guys with cards playing War. You really can't convince me that's somehow better or cooler than even the girlie cartoons of the '80's. If Jem and the Holograms had ever stopped to play cards for half an episode, we'd have flipped the channel to Silverhawks.

And with this rant, I think I've officially qualified myself for fogeyhood.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
docmagik,
I am still pining for the days of the original Star Trek and Laugh-in. You are a still whippersnapper.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
1lobo1
Member # 7762

- posted      Profile for 1lobo1   Email 1lobo1         Edit/Delete Post 
...sigh...transformers...go-bots...GI-Joe...Voltron....
Posts: 54 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
And now you know...

...and knowing's half the battle.

Posts: 339 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I grew up in the 80s, and I have to disagree with your assessment at least in part. That decade was a golden era of Toys related to Cartoons and such, but not cartoons themeselves. I would say that the 60s and 70s were the Saturday morning cartoon golden era. I bet you will mention more cartoons that were created during this time as memerable than the 80s. Superfriends, Buggs Bunny, and Scooby Doo come to mind.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Real fogeyhood is when you start complaining about stuff changing...and it really hasn't.

Dang nab it!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the cartoons of the nineties were the best ever made: Duck Tales, Gargoyles, The Tick, Batman, The Maxx, Aeon Flux, Daria, and Animaniacs.

[Smile]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm . . . you might have a point there B.O.H. But I don't think any of them were ever destined for syndication or pop-referencing.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Starblazers. Battle of the Planets. Voltron.

Best hour and a half bloc of television when I was a kid.

Of course, having seen the Japanese cartoon BoP was based on, I feel cheated and robbed. But I stand by the other two.

Also, don't forget Thundercats. I'm scared to watch it again because it can't be as good as I remember it.

The 90s brought us The Simpsons (OK, very late 80s). Batman, Aeon Flux, Daria, and Animaniacs were great, too.

But Duck Tales? I'm so disillusioned. And Tiny Toons was a travesty surpassed only by the "baby" shows: Baby Bugs Bunny, Muppet Babies, Pup Named Scooby Doo. *shudder*

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Duck Tales was so much worse than the original comics they stole (and oversimplified) the stories out of.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
The two guys playing card was probably Yu-Gi-Oh, which is not a bad show or game. I think what kids love today, (and I think actually love this too), is that the merchandising allows you to be more interactive with your favorite shows. I will be 40 in a couple of weeks so I remember when the tie-ins really started (Post Star Wars), and whatever we could get our hands on was great! The 8" superfriends action figures of the late 70's were so popular because kids could re-inact the episodes. I think the production studios and toy companies got the message because the flood gates opened after Lucas merchandised Star Wars out the wa-zoo. Think about all of the TV show tie-in toys like Care Bears, Strawberry Shortcake, Transformers, and GI-Joe (the teams, not the original joe). Also remember the merchandising for primetime shows like the Six Million Dollar Man and Battlestar Galactica.

I guess the point here is that what has changed is not you or current kids, per se, it is the companies that bring us the entertainment. They have changed the way they market and deliver their product and your discomfort comes from the fact that you have noticed.

Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kamisaki
Member # 6309

- posted      Profile for Kamisaki   Email Kamisaki         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Beren One Hand on the 90's having the best cartoons. Don't forget X-men and Spider-Man! Although Batman was and always will be my favorite.

And nowadays you still get a few gems. The Star Wars: Clone Wars cartoons rocked, and Samurai Jack is pretty cool. And you can't forget Anime, either. Cowboy Bebop is awesome.

Posts: 134 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Dagonee, I was thinking about Starblazers, too. When I was in kindergarten and first grade, my friends and I would play Starblazers at recess, alternating with Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars and Shogun Warriors.

Battle of the Planets was good, too. Voltron came later and was a poor imitation.

I still occasionally get the theme song to Starblazers stuck in my head, although I can only remember a handful of the words.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

Notice, however, that many of the cartoons of the 90s were based off of comic books started much, much earlier (some in the 30s). Very few of them were actually originals.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Beren One Hand:
I think the cartoons of the nineties were the best ever made: Duck Tales, Gargoyles, The Tick, Batman, The Maxx, Aeon Flux, Daria, and Animaniacs.

[Smile]

So true. Duck Tales and Gargoyles were awesome. I loved the whole Disney Afternoon.
But, Thundercats is not as good as it was when I was a kid... Terrible animation, dippiness factors up the wall.
Jem, however was very good and had some damn good music! Catchy little 3 minute songs... Excellent.
Still, the anime I have seen has ruined me for stuff from the past.
Especially Miyazaki. Kind of like how DIR EN GREY ruined me for other bands.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I really miss the educational TV shows I used to watch growing up. Square One, 3-2-1-Contact, etc. And is Bill Nye still on? Anyhow, I haven't seen any math shows aimed at kids since Square One, and that's very sad.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
All the Sid & Marty Krofft stuff ruled--Electra Woman and Dyna Girl, Wonder Bug, HR Pufenstuf, The Bugaloos,Sigmund and the Sea-Monster, but the absolute hands down, no kidding best was Land of the Lost. Land of the Lost destroys all children's programming before or after in terms of sheer, raw creative coolness: Dinosaur fights. Aliens. Oo-fos. Proto-humans. All in live, in-your-face technicolor, baby!

There can be only one and it must be Land of the Lost.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Bugs Bunny. Particularly BB's that were fabulously wonderful renditions of famous operas.

THAT is the one and only one, Stormy.

*wanders off singing, "kill da wabbit, kill da wabbit . . . "*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
Daria..

hahaha.
that was the funniest thing ever.
i wish it was still around [Frown]

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
What about the freaking Smurfs?! LOL
Posts: 339 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
We're off to outer space
We're leaving Mother Earth
To save the human race
Our Star Blazers

Searching for a distant star
Heading off to Iscandar
Leaving all we love behind
Who knows what danger we'll find ?

We must be strong and brave
Our home we've got to save
If we don't in just one year
Mother Earth will disappear

Fighting with the Gamilons
We won't stop until we've won
Then we'll return and when we arrive
The Earth will survive with
Our Star Blazers

My motto: "There are few tactical problems that cannot be solved by proper application of the wave motion gun."

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Ohhhh - that sure brings back memories. Mercy! That theme song is now reverberating in my head, Dags -
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by 1lobo1:
...sigh...transformers...go-bots...GI-Joe...Voltron....

You dare mention Go Bots in the same breath as Transformers? I remember being in first grade, all the cool kids had transformers.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Okay, here's a list, off the top of my head.

Live Action:

Great Space Coaster
That's Cat
Whitney and the Robot
Land of the Lost
Kids Incorporated
Kid Songs
Small Wonder

Animated:

GIJoe
Transformers
M.A.S.K.
Marshall Bravestar
Jem and the Holograms
Beverly Hills Teens
Silverhawks
Thundercats
GoBots
Captain Video
Smurfs
Snorks
Moncheechees
Shirt Tales
Get Along Gang
Pac Man
Dukes of Hazzard
Punky Brewster
Rubik the Amazing Cube
Spider Man and his Amazing Friends
Mr. T
Hulk Hogan's Rock N' Wrestling
Lazer Tag
GForce
Voltron
Thundarr
Gilligan's Planet (part of a weird show with a bunch of mini-shows, most of whom were take-offs of old monsters, but I can't remember the name of it)
Heathcliff
Dennis the Menace
Care Bears
My Little Pony
Glowworms
Pound Puppies
Felix The Cat
He-Man
She-Ra
Strawberry Shortcake
Rainbow Brite
Scooby Doo (Scrappy wasn't nearly as bad as that annoying grey dog with the buck teeth)

Snippets between shows:

"And that's One to Grow On!"
"I'm Captain O.G. Readmore! My motto's Tried and true! Read A book today, I'll bet you'll say, 'Oh, Gee! I'll read more, too.'"
That pear guy who sang about health: "You are what you eat!"
Mary Lou Retton leading kids in Aerobics
And of course, the schoolhouse rock stuff

Educational:

Sesame Street
Mr. Roger's Neighborhood
The Electric Company
321 Contact
Square One TV
Mr. Wizard's World (I didn't have cable--saw it mostly at friend's houses or in motel rooms on vacation)

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man I used to love Square One with the math detectives.

There were also all those nick shows like Hey Dude and Salute Your Shorts that were popular in the 90's.

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a Dukes of Hazzard cartoon?
You got to be kidding me.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

You haven't seen the "real" General Lee until you've seen the modifications they made for the cartoon.

Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang was eating his carborator out.

Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
When was Not the Mama around?
And Captain Planet?

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Dinosaurs was late 1992- I didn't watch it, but I remember coming back to the U.S. from Greece and wondering what the hell people were talking about. Not the mama.

My fondest memories go back to Speed racer and Kimba the white lion.

Being in the D.C. market, they had "What's Happening" on every afternoon. I was also quite fond of "The Jeffersons".

I think one thing about the programming then was that all this P.C. sensitivity about not depicting gruesome fiery deaths in children's programming hadn't caught on yet.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Almost all children's programs today are toy commercials. One of the reasons I plan on limiting the amount of television my children will watch (to almost nothing) is that I simply can't afford it. When I worked at the Y, every kid had a backpack with their favorite cartoon on it. Pretty innocuous, right? Sure, but then they'd pull out lunch boxes, action figures, dolls, play sets, books, cards, CDs, DVDs, video games, regular games, and every imaginable gadget under the sun that the cartoon was plastered on. Not to mention the clothes.

This was in the nascent stage when I was growing up. I did have a Smurfette doll and a Care Bear and a Cabbage Patch doll, but that was it. I was an underprivileged child by today's standards.

My favorite educational program was Schoolhouse Rock. Do y'all know how hard it is to find Schoolhouse Rock stuff? I'm somewhat of a collector and I've scoured eBay and thrift shops in 5 states and come up with very little. That's because Schoolhouse Rock was about music and learning, not commerce.

[ June 05, 2005, 03:05 AM: Message edited by: Mrs.M ]

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I loved Fraggle Rock. It was so cute.
And the Magic Schoolbus was very good too.

dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
Thundar the Barbarian and his fabulous Sun Sword!
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.