FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » For Hayao Miyazaki fans.

Author Topic: For Hayao Miyazaki fans.
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
His latest work is set to be released in theaters in the US next week June 10. Albeit selected theaters but theaters nonetheless.

http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/castle/

Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
ok... which selected theatres? it doesn't seem to say on that web page. It also tells us nothing about the movie. And this is the first I've heard of it.

What is it with Disney and their limited promotion of miyazaki movies??

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
I have Nausicaa, Spirited Away, Kiki, and Princess Mononoke. Any more I should get???
Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
Castle in the Sky is really good. Its kind of got a Nausicaa feel (although its not quite as good). Porco Rosso is a little different, but is still worth seeing. My Neighbor Totorro was released on DVD by Fox a while ago, so you could get that... But I'd wait for Disney to release it. The Fox DVD is English only (I think) and apparentely not very good video quality...
Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the castle itself, which suggests a Sino Epcot Center whose front door opens randomly to different corners of the world, a concept that allows Miyazaki to revisit old haunts, from the dreamy wastelands of NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind to the seaside ports of Porco Rosso.
http://www.slantmagazine.com/film/film_review.asp?ID=1435

Wow, a chance to see more of Nausicaa! [Big Grin]

I'm more excited about this movie than Star Wars and Batman combined.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually a little worried. All of the advance reviews I've read (from both the Japanese and English versions) have claimed that while it is a very beautiful film, its story suffers...
Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Miyazaki is so hit or miss with me. I absolutely loved Spririted Away, Princess Mononoke, and even the very ordinary and yet extra-ordinary Only Yesterday (now one of my favorite movies of all time).

But I tried to watch Castle in the Sky, Porco Rosso, and Pom Poko and just couldn't get into them. They bored me.

I need to sample more of his movies though. ^_^

Edit: I forgot Kiki! Also he did a Lupin movie, the title of which I've forgotton. Castle something? Dude, what is it with Miyazaki and castles? [Wink] Yeah, both great movies. So I guess he's more "hit" than "miss" with me.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard that about the plot, too. Hmmm...
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to say it again... Read the Nausicaa manga, seriously.
It's better than the movie. So much got left out in the movie that was just so COOL.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChaosTheory
Member # 7069

- posted      Profile for ChaosTheory   Email ChaosTheory         Edit/Delete Post 
Lupin The Third and the Castle of Cagliostro.

Very cool movie, I love Lupin III so freakin much!

Posts: 163 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChaosTheory
Member # 7069

- posted      Profile for ChaosTheory   Email ChaosTheory         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually he's directed a few Lupin movies...I wish I had them.
Posts: 163 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But I tried to watch Castle in the Sky, Porco Rosso, and Pom Poko and just couldn't get into them. They bored me.
I agree. Those were my least favorite Miyazaki movies. To be fair, I believe Pom Poko is providing some sort of political and social satire that I don't quite understand. I'm guessing a Japanese person would enjoy that movie a lot more than I would. [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.