FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dolphins and tool use

Author Topic: Dolphins and tool use
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Yahoo News Article on Dolphins and tool use

Fascinating.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antihero
Member # 8156

- posted      Profile for antihero   Email antihero         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm writing a novella right now on a man who has lived for five years with a group of blue whales in the darkest, bluest part of the ocean.

The only creatures with cerebrums larger than our own, I believe, are whales and dolphins. We know they are self-aware as they can recognize themselves in mirrors. We know they communicate. Could they be sentient?

Posts: 28 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I guess only one male was sponge-worthy.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I guess only one male was sponge-worthy.
[ROFL]

One of the best Seinfeld's ever... [Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We know they communicate. Could they be sentient?
<humming> So long and thanks for all the fish...
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
ah.. darn -- Goody beat me to it! [Smile]
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
Have you read the Uplift
Saga by David Brin? Book 2 Startide Rising has great dolphin characters.

Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by johnsonweed:
Have you read the Uplift
Saga by David Brin? Book 2 Startide Rising has great dolphin characters.

glad I'm not the only one who thaught of those books, I'm currently reading the third one myself, but really liked Startide Rising.
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
emerac6, that's one of my favorite Onion bits. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of sponges, living in pineapples under the sea.

And speaking of cetacean tool-use, sometimes ya just have a taste for game fowl.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I too was going to mention Startide Rising. Good book.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We know they are self-aware as they can recognize themselves in mirrors. We know they communicate. Could they be sentient?
What do you mean by sentient? Websters dictionary defines sentient as

1 : responsive to or conscious of sense impressions.

I can't see how there would be any question that dolphins and whales are responsive to sense impressions. The evidence for that is far greater than evidence tha the are self-aware. Even animals with far smaller brains show clear evidence of sentience as defind by webster.

Given that, I must assume that you mean something else by sentience -- could you please define it.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.