FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Newbie Alert! Newbie Alert! (now with crush revelation!) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Newbie Alert! Newbie Alert! (now with crush revelation!)
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
jebus, I'm glad you feel that way
Well I'm glad that you feel that way. I wouldn't want someone like you being unhappy that I don't have a crush on you.

::smooshes dirt into EIJay's hair::

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I fear that I may have done something I shouldn't have. El Jay, I think it would be best we just be friends. [Razz]

Tante- My e-mail is case sensitive so you'll need to make sure you capitalized the C.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I still have never been given Welcome Cookies. *sulks*
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quid, me either. *pat pat*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
It sucks, don't it?
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
Just for you two. What's more, they're organic, fair trade, non-GMO, vegan, and handmade to boot. That oughta make up for the lateness.
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Oooh, those look nummy. Thanks, Astaril! [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
I don't call myself a teacher. Except with Aikido.

But I stand firm saying that y'all is plural. All y'all is plural plural.

Actually, y'all is a singular form. The plural is y'uns (You ones). Yes, it's backwards, I know. In some situations, y'all is used as the plural form, so there is some confusion on this particular grammatical rule.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Tante!

Its funny how we can come to understand people and make friendships just by reading their posts.

So...

...how many people checked their email?

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Ginger Snapdragons! Thanks, Astaril, those look terrific! Yum!
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by James Tiberius Kirk:
Welcome, Tante!

Its funny how we can come to understand people and make friendships just by reading their posts.

So...

...how many people checked their email?

--j_k

I did...but I'm usually the one who gets crushes rather than he who is crushed.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

- posted      Profile for Haloed Silhouette   Email Haloed Silhouette         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
English already has a perfectly useful pluralization of "you" -- it's "y'all".
"You" IS PLURAL! The singular form is "thou".

Eeesh!

quote:
I don't call myself a teacher. Except with Aikido.
Now I feel bad about leaving my training when I was Kiu 6 (colloquial: Q6).
Posts: 358 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I think we scared the new person away......
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

- posted      Profile for Haloed Silhouette   Email Haloed Silhouette         Edit/Delete Post 
Good one.

I'm still beating your PC, Steve!

Posts: 358 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Beating my PC, what?
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But in the interest of keeping my policy of not revealing crushes on married men and/or people I have met or may meet, I couldn't possibly post in a "Who's your crush?" thread?
Katie, that's my problem too! I wonder if we have a crush on the same person? [Wink] I think we do!!
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

Post Count, Steve.

*Wonders if self is a crushee.*

*Beateth self for living in the Realm of Fooldom.*

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I have 1552 posts and you have 157. How could you be "beating" my post count?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
HS is also Jon Howard.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

OHHHHHH......I understand now.....HS/JH why did you change names? And what is your total post count now?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
English already has a perfectly useful pluralization of "you" -- it's "y'all". [Smile]

Ah, you see, I'm from New Jersey, and around here, the plural of "you" is never "y'all" or "all y'all" or "y'uns". Clearly, the plural of "you" is "youse", usually employed in the compound "youse guys". Being plural, "youse guys" can mean either an all-male, all-female, or mixed-gender group.

And I'll never tell who amongst you is the object of my affections. But I will dangle a tiny clue. It is someone who has already posted on this very thread.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

A lot of people have posted on this thread.

I have a question: Are you a girl or a guy?

A proposition: You should make it like a trivia thing. You post clues/hints/answers, whatever, instead of saying it directly.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Translation of the screen name for the Yiddish-impaired:

Tante = Aunt
Shvester = Sister

And I am definitely female. I can be Tante to the younger set (oh, High School and College-aged) and Shvester to the older set (paying mortgage, raising kids)

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

That's Yiddish? I assumed you were German, and just spelling it with a "v"! Silly me, I ought to know by this time that family names are so similar all over!

Out of curiousity, what would you like to be to me? I'm done university, but nowhere near the mortgage-and-children stage...

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

quote:
That's Yiddish? I assumed you were German
Religious Americans from the States (usually the ones who are today 40+), at least those whom I've met, are genrally more associated - IMHO - with Yiddish rather than German.

After all, those were mostly the generation of the War survivors' kids. And mose of the Jews at the time were living in Poland, not Germany.

Again, as I see it; I know less than I should about that topic.

Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

quote:
OHHHHHH......I understand now.....HS/JH why did you change names? And what is your total post count now?
So I don't reach 1776 posts...

I have roughly {1670 + HS(PC)} of posts. So it's about 1830.

Oh my God! 1830 and 1832 are tough times in France. *Shudders at memories.*

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Astaril:
Out of curiousity, what would you like to be to me? I'm done university, but nowhere near the mortgage-and-children stage...

How about an elder shvester?

And JH/HS, among the Orthodox Jewish set, at least in my neck of the woods, a sprinkling of Yiddish here and there signals that you are part of the group. I'm not at all fluent in any language, however, besides English. I wish I were, though.

rivka
Member # 4859

*notes use of subjunctive mood*

Ah, but you speak English so well! [Big Grin]

Astaril
Member # 7440

Well, HS, you know more than I. Then, I'm not American. I also live in a city with a very high German-Canadian population (go Oktoberfest!) so German naturally springs to mind. Anyway, Tante, another elder shvester (I've got 3) sounds lovely - I'll add you to my collection [Smile]
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

HS- That is an interesting reason.......should I be avoiding 1812 then?
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave]
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Tante. [Smile] Hope you enjoy yourself here.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Katie, that's my problem too! I wonder if we have a crush on the same person? I think we do!!
*grin* I'll bet we do. I wonder if his ears are burning. [Big Grin]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And I'll never tell who amongst you is the object of my affections. But I will dangle a tiny clue. It is someone who has already posted on this very thread.
I bet it's Tom Davidson. [Monkeys]

Papa Moose and Bob Scopatz tied for 2nd.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor Bob. I don't know how he copes with all the female attention.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

quote:
should I be avoiding 1812 then?
No! You should remember what the people whom "Captain America" (adored him aye, you have) belongs to did to the Cherokee.

quote:
quote:
I bet it's Tom Davidson. [Monkeys]

Papa Moose and Bob Scopatz tied for 2nd.

*Laughs hideously.*
Shepherd
Member # 7380

- posted      Profile for Shepherd           Edit/Delete Post 
Salutations.
Posts: 242 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
No! You should remember what the people whom "Captain America" (adored him aye, you have) belongs to did to the Cherokee
I was actually thinking about the embarrasment America caused itself in the war I call the Forgotten War, lesser known as the War of 1812. But that is pretty bad too. What year (s) was that?
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Everytime this gets bumped I think we get to find out who the crush is on. *disappointed*
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

OK, I'll give you another hint...

It's not who you think. [Razz]

And it is someone who lives in the United States. [Big Grin]

Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, that makes things clear! Now I know... geesh, it's so obvious!
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Astaril, where do you live? You say city with a large German-Canadian population, which makes me think immediately of Winterpeg. Is that it? If so, I then have to wonder if you're related to me... [ROFL]
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
OK, I'll give you another hint...

It's not who you think. [Razz]

And it is someone who lives in the United States. [Big Grin]

I know!!! Is it me? [Razz]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I'll never tell you! Ha!
But there is one way to find out.

Perhaps you can convince the crushee (whom I emailed) to tell.

And one last (Really the last) hint, for all of you who are wondering, "Is it me?)

It's not. [Taunt]

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

How can we convince the crushee if we don't know who it is? Hmmmm? E-mail them again. Or just tell me. I'm very good at keeping secrets, I swear. I won't tell anyone!
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Good question. I'm supposing that the 'racker in question actually follows this forum. So, ask the 'rack!

<notes Steve's use of non-gender-specific pronouns. Hmmm...>

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
<notes Steve's use of non-gender-specific pronouns. Hmmm...>

Is there something wrong with that? I do it all the time, I know you're a girl. I am the one who originally asked that question if you'll look. You should still e-mail me the answer.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I'll think about it...
I thought about it.
Nuh-uh. [Taunt]

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Oh, come on. You can trust me.
Peter
Member # 4373

- posted      Profile for Peter   Email Peter         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate it when people do stuff like this. AH! the suspense is killing me. Everybody, quick! go check your email again!
Posts: 283 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.