FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Showin' my artwork

Author Topic: Showin' my artwork
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
A long, long time ago, Shan asked me to make a portrait of her and her son in front of the Space Needle fountain. I finally finished it!

You can see a small version here, and a larger version here.

Just thought I'd share. [Smile]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice!
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Thanks. [Smile]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hat] Well done.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
that's wonderful.

bev,

didn't know you could sketch. good on you!

Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

[Blushing]
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful artwork for beautiful subjects. [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool. I like the perspective provided by the fountain and the needle behind. Very nice details on the faces. [Big Grin]
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Beverly.

[Hail]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! I wish I could draw like that! That's really good!
[Hail]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome! Very confident and decisive.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful. [Smile]

Bev, will you give me lessons?

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I gotta add to the "WOW". I'm impressed. Wish I could draw like that.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing your art. Excellent composition. Have you given any thought to fleshing it out in color, maybe a painting?

I'll have to put some of my carvings on sometime.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Thanks, all.

Raia: Sure. [Smile]

SC Carver: All my life, I have struggled with color. I would take a pencil drawing that I felt was among my best, and ruin it by coloring it. I am not gifted with color. I wish I was! [Frown]

I enjoyed taking art classes both curricular and extra-curricular, because it usually forced me to "stretch" myself. Especially where color is concerned.

Recently, I've discovered that I can get a look I like by using pastels and colored pencils together--but only on an inked drawing. I have a lot to learn yet. [Smile]

I will actually be taking some watercolor classes from a neighbor these next couple weeks. I've been meaning to get some more training in watercolor. Unfortunately, watercolor requires patience: something I don't have an abundance of.

KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
SC Carver, do put up your carvings. I love sculpture and relief work and would really like to see yours.

Karl

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I had artistic ability.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
::explodes with envy::
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Most totally awesome artwork!!!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Ain't she the greatest! (big smile) It brings back such happy memories of Nathan's and my fun vacation last year!

(Thank you, thank you, thank you!)

Edit: And for those that may be wondering, the price was very reasonable for such excellent work!

[Party]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

[Smile] I'm so glad you like it!
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
*Grins slyly* I particularly LOVE how young you made me look. You'd make a killing drawing royalty, y'know!
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Yay!! *dances* I'm getting lessons!

I like to draw Disney, and things that are already animated, or already drawn, so it looks more like the original. [Razz]

I can't draw anything real.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

[Laugh] Shan

Raia, I started out drawing Disney. [Smile]

Virtual drawing lessons is admittedly a difficult proposition. But we might could work something out. [Wink]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
wonderful work, bev!

I always have the highest admiration and awe for people who have artistic ability like this -- because it is so beyond my abilities. It is truly a gift -- and you use it wonderfully!

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Hey, I've given a virtual voice lesson before. [Razz]

You really started out by drawing Disney? Then I have hope!! Here are a few examples! Those are just some goofy things I did for fun. This I'm more proud of, but again, it's something that was drawn first, so it doesn't really count.

I'm really not trying to take away from Bev's thunder, I'm so sorry Bev! I just want you to evaluate me, and tell me what to do. [Smile] If you want me to make another thread, I'll gladly do that.

Oh, and the photos suck... the pictures are a bit lighter than that. [Razz]

SC Carver
Member # 8173

quote:
Originally posted by beverly:
Thanks, all.

Raia: Sure. [Smile]

SC Carver: All my life, I have struggled with color. I would take a pencil drawing that I felt was among my best, and ruin it by coloring it. I am not gifted with color. I wish I was! [Frown]

I enjoyed taking art classes both curricular and extra-curricular, because it usually forced me to "stretch" myself. Especially where color is concerned.

Recently, I've discovered that I can get a look I like by using pastels and colored pencils together--but only on an inked drawing. I have a lot to learn yet. [Smile]

I will actually be taking some watercolor classes from a neighbor these next couple weeks. I've been meaning to get some more training in watercolor. Unfortunately, watercolor requires patience: something I don't have an abundance of.

Color can be hard. We all have different gifts, I was always better at color than getting the proportions right. I wouldn't worry about it. Some of the most powerful art out there is monochromatic.

Color is something you can learn if you put sometime into it. The more you experiment and the more you’re around other artist the more tricks you will pick up. The color pencils might be an easy way for you to transition to color since you are used to pencils. Watercolor pencils might be fun too.

Keep it up, you definitely have some talent.
[Smile]

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Raia, I don't mind you posting those, not at all! They are lovely! I will email you my thoughts about them, but perhaps not tonight. I am headed to bed ATM.
Raia
Member # 4700

Goodnight! [Kiss]
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
sketching is a hard-earned talent.
Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice work, bev. Your lines are crisp and strong, and the shading is very well done. [Smile]

BTW, how in the WORLD are you getting those tones without smudging the pencil on the paper? Whenever I attempt something like this, I get fingerprints all the heck over the page. Useful for IDing me, but not very pretty. *envious harumph*

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice drawing Bev, good clean lines and lovely subtle toning. Well drawn hand too.
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Zotto!: The image you see here has been digitally altered. The original actually has a fair amount of smudging on it, partly that just happened as I was working on it. My hand would brush it, and smudge the shading I already put in. So at various times I would erase, creating "highlights" in fields of gently-smudged shading.

But even so, when I scanned the image on to the computer, I hated the way it looked. I honestly don't understand it, because the "preview" image that the scanner software showed picked up the pencil excellently. But every saved version was all pixelized and looked horrid. The lines no longer looked clean, the shading looked all grainy.

So I took it into GIMP and did a few different things, one of which was to use the "smudge" feature to smooth the graininess. I also strengthened some of the lines.

So, what you see here is not entirely a product of the original. My hand is not steady enough for me to be truly satisfied with what I do on paper. Taking it afterward to digital format, I am usually able to get closer to what I am hoping for.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful drawing, Bev. You're very talented.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Beverly - what settings do you see when you scan? Don't know your computer graphics experience, but the type of scan, the file you save as, and the resolution can make huge differences in your final product.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Not much computer graphics experience here. Someday I'd like to take classes, learn more.

It was so hard just getting it to scan at all. The software really doesn't seem to be very good. [Frown]

mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice finishing, beverly. I used to sketch a lot, but along with artistic ability from my mom and my grandma, I inherited a belief that if I do art I will starve. Funny how that works.

I will make a comment that I hope helps in the long run, and it's something my mom learned later in life that she wished. Children's skulls are shaped different from adults. I don't know to what degree that is true for any given child. Just the cheek on the child toward the middle of the drawing looked like a grown-up's in some way I can't quite put my finger on. But it's a nice sketch.

I also quit drawing and writing poetry after my son died. It was just hard for some reason. Well, the poetry was never much good. Even before that it was always pain pain pain. I look back and it's like "What the hell was I whining about?"

You know what's great, though? I can't do noses and your noses are fantastic. It's the irony of life- I have a beautiful nose but I can't draw them. I am unabashedly vain about my nose. Okay, now I'll have to see if I can get some of my stuff posted. I'll start another thread.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait - Chris Bridges posted in this thread about bev's artwork -- but he didn't show off his own artwork?

I was reading his blog and saw a link to this and was just blown away! I had no idea Chris was an artist as well as a columnist/writer!

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

Chris's stuff is very impressive. I like the Grandma the best. Pen & ink is tough. It requires a lot of confidence.
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I made a painting of my Dad for my mother's day lesson inspired by this thread. But the eyes are all wrong so I keep meaning to redo it sometime.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Super neat bev!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
So cute!
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.