FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mr. & Mrs. Smith

Author Topic: Mr. & Mrs. Smith
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Easily the best movie I have seen so far this year, closely followed by Crash, Downfall and Sin City.

The action and puns had an almost James Bond feel to it, but it was a perfect mix of comedy and action. Nothing felt out of place. One line delivered near the end by Angelina Jolie seemed a bit mushy for a moment, but then she followed it up with another line that fixed it and made it sound perfect.

And that was going to be my only nitpick for the entire movie. Pitt and Jolie had great on screen chemistry, and Vince Vaughn was a pretty awesome peripheral character, and Adam Brody added a nice little comedic flare. I didn't think it was supposed to be so much a comedy as an action flick, but it was all that and more. In a twisted way, it was even a love story.

I'd recommend it to anyone (who is old enough).

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that it was hugely entertaining but it did have a few holes. It was probably the funniest movie so far this year, though, I will definitely agree to that.

And I agree about Crash and Sin City -- great movies.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arevoj
Member # 7347

- posted      Profile for arevoj   Email arevoj         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reviews. When I first heard of the movie, I was really interested in seeing it but lately with all of the "are they a couple? are they not a couple?" talk, I was going to avoid it completely. I had forgotten that it seemed like it would be a pretty good movie.

edit: because apparently I find it difficult to type properly at the moment.

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
It was fun to watch, but it was also instantly forgettable. A couple hours after we saw it, my friends and I were trying to remember what happened other than a lot of fighting and a sex scene. Definately only worth one watch. But still worth the one viewing. [Smile]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
When does the sequal come out? That's all I want to know, it was obvious that the ending left major room for a sequal.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Vince Vaughn was hilarious as Ed (i think it was).

ED'S MOM: Ed?
ED: Mom! We are on high alert here! I almost killed you right then! You have no idea!
ED'S MOM: (Pause) ... Nevermind.

So funny.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Every review I've read said it wasn't very good........
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Turn your mind off at the door, and it's a great movie. If you liked "True Lies" and/or "War of the Roses" you'll love this.

There are scenes in there I glady would have seen shortened or cut if we got have gottne more of a resolution at the end, but the closing bit was hilarious.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

The sex scene was like a tiny part of the movie though. I barely even remembered that part.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roger Parkinson
Member # 7394

- posted      Profile for Roger Parkinson   Email Roger Parkinson         Edit/Delete Post 
A truly funny show. When I want to see a movie, I am looking purely for entertainment and this movie provides it in spades. I don't have a single nit to pick. Sure, some of the scenes are highly improbable but that is the fun part of a movie like this. Like others, if I had to recommend one movie this year, it would be this one.
Posts: 10 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Just got back a few hours ago. It was fantastic. Easily the funniest action movie I've seen in a long while. Three things worth mentioning:

1) It had a lot of uncomfortable pauses (a la Emperor's New Groove that were hilarious.

2) The score (music) was absolutely perfect. I laughed out loud at least twice at the absurdity of the background music. Beautifully juxtaposed (maybe the most complex two-word sentence I've ever uttered).

3) Suspension of disbelief is imperative if you want to enjoy this movie. I thought it was skillfully acted and beautifully written.

I really wish this director (Bourne Identity) hadn't left film school with the concept that shaky camera = exciting. Otherwise, a really good movie.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the restaurant/tango scene was perfect.

NOT REALLY A "SPOILER" BUT GIVING AWAY A GOOD LINE:

"Happy Endings are stories that haven't finished yet." ROTFL!

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I thought the restaurant/tango scene was perfect.
I haven't seen it yet, but... a reference to True Lies perhaps (which, by the way, is one of my favorite comedy movies of all times).
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
The tango scene WAS perfect.

What I liked was that they're spys/assasins that actually do things people would do. James Bond would never catch his foot on fire, or kick an enemy when he's down.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

SPOILER!
I LOVED the part where they ran over the guy and Brad jumped out to grab his gun then kicked him for the hell of it.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
Turn your mind off at the door, and it's a great movie. If you liked "True Lies" and/or "War of the Roses" you'll love this.

What if I enjoyed War of the Roses but hate True Lies (and yet watch it in sick fascination when it's on TV, until I get so repulsed I can't stand it anymore)?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Now, I need to see it........must you all be so demanding of my time?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
My roomie and I enjoyed the fact that there were several shots of Angelina that were surprisingly true-to-life.

Out in the desert? She's sweaty and dishevelled.

Drunk a whole bottle of rum(?)? Next morning she looks hung over.

I really did enjoy it. Lots. It's one I'll be waiting to buy when it comes out.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite thing in the movie was the terrorist (kid from OC) wearing a Fight Club shirt while being interrogated by Brad Pitt. [ROFL]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My roomie and I enjoyed the fact that there were several shots of Angelina that were surprisingly true-to-life.

There were shots of both of them, actually. He's clumsy in several scenes, and in the ticking jackest scene he reacs with believable, somewhat un-Bond-like frenzy.

Little touches like that -- and the chemistry between the actors -- were why we liked the movie. One of the reasons Jolie's Lara Croft left me so completely bored was because there weren't scenes like that. It was like watching someone else play Tomb Raider on god mode.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. The little banalities were what made it for me. Not a lot of perfect mission impossible scenes, just good old fashioned screw ups.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
There seem to be more and more movies like that. I mean, you don't go to see Ocean's 12 for a high-stakes thriller plot, but rather to see a bunch of famous, handsome actors bumbling around onscreen and acting charming.

I mean, if I went to this, I wouldn't go for the action.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My favorite thing in the movie was the terrorist (kid from OC) wearing a Fight Club shirt while being interrogated by Brad Pitt. [ROFL]
I take it that's an inside joke of some kind?

The idea that the best part of the movie was an inside joke that I don't even get does not inspire confidence.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Brad Pitt starred in the movie Fight Club. It's a great -- but dark -- movie.

I plan to see Mr. & Mrs. Smith this week. [Smile]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that it? OK, I get it. I figured with such high praise there must be more to it.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it might be Pitt's signature role, now.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
He needed one. This is great. [Smile]

I can't read the thread, though. I don't see it until Wednesday, and I must stay spoiler-free. *shields virgin eyes*

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

>.<

What do eyes do when they lose their virginity?

>.<

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Is that it? OK, I get it. I figured with such high praise there must be more to it.

I think saying that it's the best part of the movie is overstating it a bit.

It was a cool little detail, one example of the little things that made the movie good.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
They tell my brain what's going to happen in the movie.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this movie finally this weekend. LOVED it! It was so funny!

I definately see the cross-gender appeal of the flick. The guys love it for the action/shoot-outs/blowing stuff up. The women love it for the dialogue between the husband and wife (and the action).

I would go see it again in a heartbeat.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.