FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What's your knack?

Author Topic: What's your knack?
Mirkmaid
Member # 8208

- posted      Profile for Mirkmaid   Email Mirkmaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this would be an interesting thread: This can be where you can tell people what your "knack" is. For example, if you are really good at math, then your knack might be (well, duh) math! And my brother's knack is definetly 'being annoying'. [Smile]

For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, the idea this comes from the Alvin Maker Series, in which people are good at something, and they call it their knack.

This is kind of a "bragging" thread, if you take my meaning. [Big Grin] But I thought it might be fun.
So, what's YOUR knack?

Posts: 25 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Being oblivious.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
From JenniK as Kwea is still logged on:

music, history, and languages....(jack of all trades master of none)...

oh wait I am the master of this one: being blonde! [Big Grin]
[Hail] -JenniK, Queen Platinum

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
My knack seems to be knowing nothing and questioning everything (which can be a real pain in the butt when trying to explain my opinions.)
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
My knack is not being a waitress. I tried this for about 6 weeks in college. I quit the night a woman said to me, "We're out of bread!" and I replied, "That's just horrible!" It was about twenty minutes later when I realized I was supposed to get her more bread.
Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
If you can have negative nacks, then I have the nack of never geting pregnant.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
OOooh, I know of many wonderful knacks! A man with whom I used to work would always get a great parking spot at restaurants. No matter how crowded they were, one would open up right by the front door as soon as he drove up. It was so cool! Needless to say we always let him drive us to eat at night when traveling.

My sister always knows where all her stuff is at any time, and she used to know where all my stuff was too. Even after she went off to college I would call her up and ask her where my tennis shoes were and she'd say "in the downstairs bathroom" or "beside the front door" or "under your bed" and they'd be there! She is amazing.

Me, everything I own disappears and reappears around me constantly. I think it's some sort of quantum tunneling effect. Cause I'll have something in my hand and then 5 minutes later it's gone and nowhere to be found. The next day it will be right there where I looked for it 5 times yesterday and it wasn't there. If I actually stopped and looked for everything I lost, I would never do anything else. Instead I keep redundancy in nearly everything like tools, pens, scissors, staplers, etc. I just find another one or do without until it decides to pop back into this current spacetime continuum.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
My knack is to unwittingly solve people's problems by saying something that isn't even close to being advice.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faire
Member # 8065

- posted      Profile for Faire   Email Faire         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I actually have a neat knack. I'm really, really good at finding sizes in stores.

I went shopping with my sister today and she really needed a bra. She couldn't ever find her size though, so I was helping her look. Where she had to look for a few minutes, I could always find her size in seconds. It actually got pretty weird.

The same thing happened at the GAP with her, and all day I found my own sizes very easily. It was pretty awesome.

Posts: 17 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mirkmaid
Member # 8208

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
If you can have negative nacks, then I have the nack of never geting pregnant.

well, I should think so, your name starts with "mister".
Posts: 25 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mirkmaid
Member # 8208

My knack is biking.

I can do it without holding onto the handle bars! [Big Grin]

Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
Good:
I bounce well. I have fallen from great heights and landed on hard surfaces in impossible angles and yet never done anything but sprain my ankle once (and that was from jumping literally an inch off the floor and crumpling when I came down).

Bad:
I miss about every other bus I try to catch by less than 30 feet, even if I'm early. Once I ran up and was knocking on the door to it as it had just pulled over to let someone else on and the driver looked at me, then signalled and drove away without me.

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. Well, things around me break. Screws become looser. Paper tears more easily. I generate a cloud of fundamental chaos and entropy.

Oh, also, I can go on any watery ride, sit in the splash zone at Shamu Shows, and jump in swimming pools, and I always come out bone dry.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I think you must be the unmaker.
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
Well yea, I would have to say carving.
See "Got Wood" thread.)

Is remaining single a knack?

If so I am the king.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I can find four-leaf clovers in a field of normal clovers just by bending over and picking one at random.

Cool. But totally pointless.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't pointless, its good luck.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
And I thought this was going to be the old thread bumped up. LOL
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Sigh...if only I could believe that mutant clovers had anything to do with luck.

Luck is not something that is acquired by plucking greenery. Everybody knows that it is bestowed on you at birth by good fairies.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a crying shame. There's a patch of 4-leaf clovers beside our house.
Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
You must be so lucky! I've only ever found one 4-leaf clover, and that was last year, despite looking long and hard for years and years, ever since I learned that song (10 points to who guesses the title!). I may have found one as a very small child too - can't quite remember. I used to think if I found one that meant the fairies were watching me and liked me... (And by "used to think", I naturally mean "still think").
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roger Parkinson
Member # 7394

- posted      Profile for Roger Parkinson   Email Roger Parkinson         Edit/Delete Post 
This is going to sound really boring but I have knack for taking really big datasets and producing graphs and statistics that answer all sorts of neat questions. I have only aplied this knack to business situations.

In a sense though, I guess you could say that I am capable of doing a very small portion of what Jane does for Ender.

Is that lame or what?

Posts: 10 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't fret, Carver - you're in good company. There's LOTS of single royalty floating around here. *grin*

My knack: hmmmm. I remain willing to learn and grow. Perhaps that's more of an attitude than a knack, but it makes for an interesting life.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess if I have a knack, it is the friendship knack (though I have always called it the friendship vibe). People seem to see me as a friend...and often tell me things they would not tell others. This is not only true of people who know me, but of complete strangers as well. You would not believe the conversations I have had on the city bus.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Learning songs and stories-- and spinning them back out.

Cooking, but not necessarily baking.

Small children love me, and I can get almost any baby to calm down.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey you are up late! Mine is being right!

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm up late because I just got back from Oklahoma and am waiting for Emma to fall deeply enough asleep that she won't wake when I wash the smoke out of my hair. [Smile]

And I so was not going to say that.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a knack for finding things that have been misplaced. I use the time-honored tradition of trying to imagine where I would be if I was that object. It works much more often than not.

I also have knack for taking tests. I once made an A on a multiple guess test where I just made pretty patterns on the test form because the answer choices for each question had no earthly relation to the questions they were associated with. I've also made the only A on an all-essay exam in a class of about 40 students by just guessing what the instructor might have been looking for (because I sure had no earthly idea what he wanted).

I have a knack for writing, or so I'm told. I wouldn't presume to make that assessment myself.

On the negative side, I have a knack for getting in the way. I don't know how I manage it, but it's been that way all my life. I can stand in a corner far away from where anyone else is or will be in the foreseeable future, and I will still manage to get in someone's way. It's a gift, I guess.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of which, hi, Mom...I'm home!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
When I'm around, suddenly and inexplicably, computers just work the way they're supposed to.
Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Well good - come on over and visit mine. I have update software that I can not get on the damn machine without trashing the e-mail program.
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
I can take insane amounts of drugs and not die.

I am great at taking tests. I do need to know half the material though.

I can write papers that the graders like. Nothing feels as good as half-assing a paper because it was already late and getting an A.

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
Art!

Drawing is definitely my knack, though I also have good "animal skills". Animals like me and I'm good at handling them.

Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Danzig:
I can take insane amounts of drugs and not die.

[Eek!] You mean, so far...

But why tempt fate? Can't you just stick to "sane" amounts of drugs?

(from your worried Tante)

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a knack that when I lose something or something is taken from me, it comes back or is replaced... I trashed my free car, I got a new free car. My Game Boy Advance was stolen, I got a new one for Christmas. I spilled water on my laptop, the motherboard was replaced for free. It doesn't always work, but it often works, and I'm thankful for it.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
I not only have two green thumbs, I also have eight green fingers. My toes are kinda green as well.

I grow girl!

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the knack at being good at something that hasn't been invented yet, nor do I know what it is.

Sounds confusing, eh? I honestly believe that the reason I have no talent in any obvious field, is because I am destined for something that has yet to present itself. Until then, I wonder if I could sell a book of bad poetry and make a couple of extra bucks.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
I can feel other people's emotions.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I lack the proper mental equipment to understand what is appropriate in a conversation and what isn't. Some people say that it's good that I so unabashedly speak my mind, but these same people usually wind up telling me that I really need to shut up five minutes later.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
My knack is that children and animals love me - it takes a remarkably small amount of time for them to feel comfortable around me.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
If I had to pick, I guess my knack would be planning. I don't always follow through on the plan, but given a starting point and a goal, I can find an efficient path between the two.

Planning is also how I cope with stressful situations. I think of all the really bad potential outcomes, and plan for how to cope with them.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Helping others while not helping myself. Seeing how many people I know need help that's quite a useful knack, if it weren't for the second part of it... [Wink]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mirkmaid
Member # 8208

quote:
Originally posted by Avadaru:
Art!

Drawing is definitely my knack, though I also have good "animal skills". Animals like me and I'm good at handling them.

Hey, pretty good! [Big Grin]

~ See my art - www.enders-game-art.i8.com ~

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Avadaru,

Your drawings are terrific! Wish I could draw like that. What did you use, pencil or charcoal or what?

Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
Cats dig me. A lot. Get me a cat and a few days, and they'll be rubbing up against me like I were made of catnip or something.
Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a knack for running into people from my hometown whereever I go. Being that my hometown has a population of about 1,200, chances are also that I know the person or they know of me.

So far I've run into folks from home in places like Florida, upstate New York and at rest stops all places between.

It drives my wife crazy to be on vacation, go into a store and someone come up to me and call me by name.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.