FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » It is all over (in a good way)

Author Topic: It is all over (in a good way)
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I graduated yesturday. [Big Grin] They called my name out wrong, but the diploma says the right thing so I assume I do not have to come back. It is a bit scary to realize that my life will never be the same again, but it is also invigorating. There is so much to do and so little time.

I also had my first recital alone.(Megan came!) It was an interesting experience. I was surprisingly calm. I am glad to have the madness of the past few months over with. It is wonderful to finally be able to feel calm. [Smile]

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
[Party] Congratulations!
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
The recital was wonderful! And, I had no idea that you'd actually gone through graduation four hours earlier...that's kind of insane. [Wink]

And, congratulations. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

Who me? Insane? Nope, never. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*blink* You got your diploma at graduation? I have never attended one where the graduates got anything but blank paper!

Diplomas came somewhere from a month to six months late, depending on the bureaucracy involved. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I got my diploma at my graduation for both high school AND college. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Hats off to you! [Hat]
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I got my diploma at graduation, and I've only been at one where it didn't happen, rivka. [Dont Know] Admittedly, my experience is rather limited (mine, my sisters' HS graduations, my sister's college graduation from a UC, my two cousins' graduations from Cal Lutheran, and my cousin's husband's graduation from his seminary.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!

Rivka, at the college I teach at, the students get the actual degree at the ceremony.

Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Weird. But graduation ceremonies are generally conducted before all grades are in/final.

What happens if some students haven't really completed everything?

At the high school I attended, as well as the one I work at, it was several months before diplomas were sent out (although we send out letters attesting to graduation as early as June -- late May for a couple students with sterling records). It took over a month to get mine from UCLA.

[Dont Know]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kiwi
Member # 7982

- posted      Profile for Kiwi   Email Kiwi         Edit/Delete Post 
Our grad ceremonies are 6 months after you finished the degree, so they have plenty of time to make sure everything's completed and passed. And we get our piece of paper at the ceremony (at least, as far as I know we do, I haven't actually graduated yet [Razz] - but all the people I know who have, got theirs on the day).

Congrats Allegra. [Smile]

Posts: 69 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Ok, that makes sense then. Six months should be plenty of time to dot all the Ts and cross all the Is. [Wink]

My HS and college graduation ceremonies were each about a week or so after my finals -- too soon to get a real diploma.

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Allegra. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*thwaps self*

I never wished you congrats, Allegra! [Wall Bash]

CONGRATULATIONS! [Party]

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Allegra! The fun is just beginning, I'm so excited for you!! [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard the recital was outstanding.

Congrats on graduating, Alle. [Big Grin]

By the by, when can we expect you down to our neck of the woods?

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hat] Congratulations. [Hat]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, my sister's graduation from the UC was the one where she didn't get her diploma right away. [Smile]

And at my HS, they knew pretty well who was going to graduate and who wasn't. The ones who had to take summer school got their own quiet ceremony afterwards; the ones who were borderline got their tests graded first to make sure. There was a week and a half between the last final and graduation. And all finals except for English papers and art projects were done on Scantrons, so it wasn't too hard; the final English papers were always either in-class or due a month before graduation and followed up by a quick quiz (also done with Scantrons) or an in-class presentation for easy grading. Art projects were completed a month before the school year and displayed as a show, and they got the final for that period off.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, and congratulations, I wish you much luck in life, Allegra. [Big Grin]
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Our school gives out diploma's at graduation, but no other's I've been to do, so hmm. (ours meaning the one I graduated from last year, allegra graduated from this week, and stryker hopefully will graduate from next year). The teachers send notes to the office on any kid who may not pass but generally you're done a semester before you graduate and are just in fun classes, plus you can have a 2 class defecit and fix it later.

I was also very impressed by your recital, not that I'd never heard you play before (remember that terrible SRT I bugged you the whole time). Miss G asked me why you had your recital on Grad day, I said you probably had family in town you didn't want to keep for weeks.

Love and congrats

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations and good luck, Allegra!
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
My university handed out diplomas the same day as graduation, but not at the ceremony. There they handed out small paper rolls that had the school song, motto, and a note of congratulations on it. The diploma themselves were handed out at the receptions hosted by each college after the graduation service. If you didn't attend those, you could expect the diploma in the mail about two months later.

Oh, and congratulations on graduating of course. I'll refrain from asking the dreaded question that plauges graduates.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

Sorry it has taken me so long. I just got back from a week long music camp. It was fun. I got first chair but it wasn't really much of a challenge. I like it better if it is closer. Then I actually know the audition went well.

Everyone: Thank you for all of the good wishes. I am excited and a little nervous, but I think all will be well.

Trevor: I am actually flying into Atlanta tomorrow, but we are just flying through for orientation. I will be moved in August 10th. Classes start the 15th.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I'm late...

CONGRATS ALLEGRA! [Smile]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Six months should be plenty of time to dot all the Ts and cross all the Is.

That could really screw up some people's names! [Razz]
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Oh kewl!

Welcome to Atlanta, Alle! (albeit a bit prematurely) [Big Grin]

Fair warning - the traffic sucks. In Atlanta, it's our favorite contact sport.

You'll be heading south from the airport, so you will miss most of the sprawl that is our fair city.

Any questions, feel free to ask - there are several of us locals on or about the board and Megan used to be, whether she admits it or not. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by MidnightBlue:
quote:
Six months should be plenty of time to dot all the Ts and cross all the Is.

That could really screw up some people's names! [Razz]
Hey! Somebody finally noticed! [Big Grin]
TMedina
Member # 6649

Nah, we're adaptable.

-Irevor

TMedina
Member # 6649

Welcome to Georgia, y'all! [Big Grin]

We expect a full report.

-Trevor

Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Allegra!

Heh, you guys got pieces of paper? We just got to stand up as a big group while the President said, okay, all you guys are graduated now. Next!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

It was fun. There were a lot of parts where they just talked at us for a while. I really did not need the 20 min. of safe drinking or the 30 min on the sports program.

I met a girl there who is going to be a music ed. major on trombone. I am glad that I at least know one person. I got my ID(I only look sort of bad in the picture) and signed up for classes. I have all music classes except for english and anthropology. I am taking both of them through the honors college. I have heard that the teachers in the honors college really are significantly better then in the regular versions.

It really hit me that I wasn't going to go back to high school. It is very weird, and a little scary, but mostly exciting. I find out who my roomate is on the 1st. I hope I like her.

0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! [Hat]
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Woot! We didn't scare her off!

Alright, y'all kin bring out the chewin tabaccie and moonshine. The "Kissin Cousins" square dance and hoe down is back on for Friday.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

You're going to have a blast in college. Beats the hell out of real life. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Edit: Although, you might want to check out the college Phys Ed building and see what "classes" they offer - usually you can find cheap courses in things like dancing, aerobics, intro to weights and so on.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.