FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Verdict Reached in Jacko Case (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Verdict Reached in Jacko Case
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Verdict Reached in Jacko Case
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
*Sits on edge of chair*
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
wagers, anyone?
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

GUILTY!

(should be)

(doubt it though)

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Reading of the jury's decisions expected at 4:30 pm EDT
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
*baits breath*
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Although I think he has molested children before, I fail to see how a jury-based on the testimony of his latest accusers-could possibly be beyond a reasonable doubt with him. From what I have watched and read on the news, they have a dubious at best history when it comes to celebrities and money.

But I haven't followed the damn thing much at all.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Maybe he said it best a number of year ago:

Just beat it, beat it, beat it, beat it
No one wants to be defeated
Showin' how funky and strong is your fight
It doesn't matter who's wrong or right
Just beat it, beat it

Jacko in jail would be interesting though!

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I don't know...

whether or not I personally believe he could be, or is, guilty -- I really think this is a much weaker case -- as cases go -- than the one they had against O.J. And we all know he walked.

I could see it going either way.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shepherd
Member # 7380

- posted      Profile for Shepherd           Edit/Delete Post 
WHO CARES?????
Posts: 242 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

good point, Shepherd
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Jackson, who climbed to fame with the Jackson 5
What an awkward sentence. I think it's the word climbed that bothers me.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

True, it doesn’t matter one way or another.
Other then there might be riots if he’s found guilty!

IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh great. More riots. Please, people can't be this dumb.

On second thought...

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Given that the last time there were riots in LA over a court case was because of flagrant police brutality being found not-guilty...I think not.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Yahoo has free streaming!!!

[Laugh] http://www.yahoo.com/

[Laugh] http://news.yahoo.com/fc/entertainment/michael_jackson

They're showing the cars rolling to the court. [ROFL]

Ok, this is to much.

Jay
Member # 5786

Not sure they'll make it by 4:30...
Jay
Member # 5786

Dooooouuughhh.............

Reading of the jury's decisions expected at approx 4:45 PM ET...

IanO
Member # 186

While that's true, race definitely played a role. There was a feeling that the judicial system, in this supposedly enlightened and fair age, was still perpetuating racism in so obviously a flagrant manner. A charge difficult to deny.

Since then, however, things have changed somewhat. Rodney King and OJ seem to be linked. OJ was acquited, in my opinion, because the jurors believed the LAPD WAS CAPABLE of framing him, rather than that the LAPD reasonably was thought to have done so IN THIS CASE.

Now, when any celebrity, especially a member of a minority (though does MJ really count as a minority member? [Smile] ) is on trial, there are defenders who automatically trot out the old charge of systemic racism and links to Rodney Kind and OJ- whether it is appropriate or not. When one factors in the love people have for this man's music, that is only excacerbated. I remember a Chappelle skit where Dave was a character witness. To every question, he answered, "the man made Thriller." In real life, DL Hugely (I think that's his name) kept answering, "I don't care what you say. Your mother. It's Michael Jackson, man!"

Not saying he's guilty or innocent. I haven't cared to follow the trial.

But this could be ugly.

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I remember a Chappelle skit where Dave was a character witness. To every question, he answered, "the man made Thriller."
Except for the question, "Would you let your son sleep over at Michael Jackson's house?" To which he answered, "Helllll no."
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

yeah. that was good.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I haven't quite figured out the "fans" that stand outside the courthouse for days at a time to show support for Jackson.

I mean -- don't they have a life or anything? A job to go to? something to do?

FG

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
wonders how many of them are paid to be there
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

With our welfare system anyone can be a fan! Pursuit of happiness, right?
Jay
Member # 5786

Make up your mind!!!

Reading of the jury's decisions expected at approx 5:00 PM ET...

Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody else listening to NPR's "Keeping Busy Waiting for the MJ Verdict"?
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

oops. I thought it was a live feed. Oh well.
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice one Jay; way to fold in some unrelated issue with this spectacle.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

This is looking even worse. If he is found guilty (which I doubt) then I think *some* rioting will occur.

There are no black people on the jury (except for one alternate).

The perception that will be noted is that no matter how famous, powerful, influential a black man becomes, the "man" can and will tear him down when it feels like it...

no matter how much of a crock that reasoning is.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
To a certain degree, isn't the composition of the jury the fault of Jackson? His lawyer was involved in the jury selection process.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

Like that matters to Joe Commonman in the street who is already predisposed to view the police and judicial system with skepticism (rightly or wrongly.)
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I hate highly televised cases like this. This is why I totally ignored the Laci Peterson thing, and all other cases like it. People form their own uninformed opinions "oh he did it, we know he did it." "He knows he did it, he's lying."

I hate that, people don't know, I don't know, no one really knows except the person who actually did it.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Not guilty on all counts
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder when the civil suits will be filed.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I'm not surprised.
Lady Eruve
Member # 6883

- posted      Profile for Lady Eruve   Email Lady Eruve         Edit/Delete Post 
I think something is very wrong with that decision. When that many people speak out against a guy that creepy, something isn't right. I don't think he's innocent.
Posts: 55 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not either.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I just won lunch at the office by betting he'd get no jail time.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

*hands Jay a Tylenol for his upcoming headache*
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Money wins again.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

At the same time though, where is the hard proof that it isn't anything more than people trying to make some money off a creepy celebrity? He looks weak, thus making him a soft target to wring some money out of.

I don't think that makes him seem any guiltier than he already seems be being such a creepy guy.

Edit to add: Anothing thing I dislike is the automatic assumption that he is guilty because he is rich, and he only won because he has money.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Thing is, we don't know. We really don't. He's creepy, he loves hanging around children, and he acts very, very strange. That's not a basis for conviction without evidence, and should never become so.

Apparently there was enough doubt to acquit. Doesn't mean he didn't do what he was accused of, doesn't mean he did. But if you're going to speak against the man, please find a more substantial reason than "he's creepy."

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand how he could have been found guilty. The case against him was ridiculously sketchy.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

The prosecution's case sucked. He could be guilty. We don't know... there's not enough real, compelling evidence.

I find the parents guilty for letting their kids hang out with him. What were they thinking??

Katarain
Member # 6659

One thing I don't understand... I thought it was pretty clear that he had given alcohol to minors... why wasn't he found guilty on the lesser offense parts?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

There was direct testimony from the victim. That's not sketchy. It might not be credible, but the events of the crime were clearly laid out.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I meant sketchy as in not having been, from what little I had heard, proved very well, not as in the facts weren't layed out. Pardon.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I guess the lesson is if you want to molest children, pick children with dishonest parents. [Frown]

Edit: I just realized that could be taken as a slam at you, Storm. It's not meant as one - I'm not sure i wouldn't have voted to acquit. But if the kid was molested, then it's his parents' fault that Michael got away with it.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:
*baits breath*

I think you mean *bates breath*.

Zing!

Is it just me, or do other people have a hard time even thinking of Michael Jackson as black? He doesn't have dark skin, he doesn't have the facial features or hair, he doesn't talk like he's black. . . . When people mention how race might be an issue, I have to remind myself that Jackson is actually black underneath.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:

Is it just me, or do other people have a hard time even thinking of Michael Jackson as black? He doesn't have dark skin, he doesn't have the facial features or hair, he doesn't talk like he's black. . . . When people mention how race might be an issue, I have to remind myself that Jackson is actually black underneath.

He is plastic underneath, not black. And underneath that he is a cyborg from the year 2019 that has come back in time to moles-- er, KILL John Connor.
Posts: 339 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.