FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Verdict Reached in Jacko Case (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Verdict Reached in Jacko Case
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Frankenstein's monster... he's an abomination... look at how he appears... hangs out in that creepy castle... grab the torches.

It's easy to villify the creepy, scary guy. Really easy to do it.

And it's really easy to find innocence in someone you think is an angel sent from heaven. Even if they are caught red handed.

I wouldn't have wanted to be on that jury.

And I sure wouldn't let my child visit his version of Neverland.

What I think it boils down to are shaky reputations for the accusers and a really, really weak case from the DA. Mix in a dash of the polarizing influence of the accused and reasonable doubt isn't so far off.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the Tylenol Farmgirl, but I’m already on mega Ibuprofen for my ankle! Did I post about my MRI yet? Guess I should do that…. New thread!

What a charming result. Think of the party at Neverland tonight! All little boys let in for free! So much for Michael finding out if he likes big boys better! Poor Bubba, he made up the cell so nice too.

Wow…. Thought they would at least find him guilty on one of the lesser charges.

I heard a news report on the drive home and they played “Beat it” in the background. How funny.

Wonder if they can charge any mothers who let their kids go to Neverland for the night now?

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
I followed the case more than I should have. It seemed like every prosecution witness was "tainted" in some way - ex-employee with a grudge, etc. I feel really bad for the kid - he's either someone who's been coached to lie by a whacko mom or he's really been abused and the perpetrator was just let off the hook.

The standard being "reasonable doubt," I don't think I would have rendered a guilty verdict on any of the counts if I had been on the jury.

But I also would scream at my sister if she told me my nephew was going to visit the Neverland ranch.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, there ain't no doubt that the kid's been coached to lie from a very young age. He was one of the "witnesses" to his mother's "physical abuse at the hands of a ?KMart? security guard" which was settled out of court a few years ago.
His ex?step?father is known to have been the person who created the bruises for that particular lawsuit.

[ June 13, 2005, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but that just means he's a victim with no recourse if someone does molest him.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know whether he did what he was accused of doing or not. Obviously, the jury didn't think he did, or at least didn't think that the prosecution came up with enough credible evidence that he did it. But I am really uncomfortable with the attitude that because Michael Jackson looks weird (which he does) or that he seems like kind of a strange person (which he does) that it automatically means that he "did it". Have we decided that anyone who isn't relentlessly "normal" is guilty of things? I don't like the places where that kind of attitude could lead.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I find the kid credible, frankly (although note again I don't know if I would have convicted). His story has maintained general consistency and holds together.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
When watching the reviews and hearing all of the not-quitly, i was prepared to hear the women on the speaker say "just kidding. Wacko jacko is guitly on all casses". I was totaly suprised by the outcome, and i do believe money was somewhere put into the equation, but im just saying what comes to mind to me.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend just woke up -- he works nights -- and I informed him of the verdict. He nodded once, and said "Yeah, but if he'd been black he wouldn't gotten off."
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
A report on the celebrations on Jackson's website:

quote:
The multimedia website opens solemnly with the word "Innocent" displayed in black and white as triumphal orchestral music plays.
Then an image of a hand flashing the "V" for victory sign pops up, before dissolving into a montage of photos of Jackson and fans as the phrases "vindication", "victory" and "The truth runs marathons", scroll across the screen.

A pop chorus swells as the images move and the site shows a series of significant dates, including the birth of US civil rights leader Martin Luther King jnr; the fall of the Berlin Wall, which is associated with the end of communism; and the release of South African dissident, later to become president, Nelson Mandela from his apartheid prison.

"Remember this date, for it is a part of HIStory," says the site, http://mjjsource.com, which the 46-year-old singer set up to provide information during his trial.

Story.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
i can't wait to watch late night tonight
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
Exploding Monkey made me laugh.

That is all.

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so pleased to see you posting, Mega. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
I have strong feelings about this case, so I tried to follow it as closely as possible throught the means availible to me.

My original thoughts we're that based on the mom, Jacko would get off, but when the judge introduced the California Pattern of intent allowing the jury to hear about his past settlements with past families to end their allegations of molestation.

I thought that would sink him.

There is a very, very obvious pattern here, Jacko says he loves children, has slept with HUNDREDS of BOYS and ZERO little girls (or big girls from what we know.)

I would have tossed him in jail.

What set him free?

The mom was flakey and an oppourtunist.

...But here is my deal with that, NO SANE MOTHER IS GOING TO LET HER BOY BE WITH JACKO UNDER THESE CONDITIONS.

Yes. I know the mom was crazy and a liar, but this is the ONLY type of mother Jacko could prey on, anyone with a shred of sanity would not ever ever ever let their boy sleep in a bed with Jacko.

End of Story.

So this woman being a fruit cake didn't bother me that much, that's how it'd have to be.

So now he's innocent.

*Sigh*

Every time the American words Justice and Freedom they will have less meaing than they do today.

Justice for sale.

THOR

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Silverblue Sun:

There is a very, very obvious pattern here, Jacko says he loves children, has slept with HUNDREDS of BOYS and ZERO little girls (or big girls from what we know.)

I don't think anyone would have tolerated an admission of a grown man sleeping with a little girl who wasn't an immediate family member under dubious circumstances for even a nanosecond.

So...maybe he hasn't. Or maybe he has, but knows admitting it will be the thing certain to damn him? *shrug*

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altril of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altril of Dorthonion   Email Altril of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, this veredict is bull crap if you ask me.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
His Savageness
Member # 7428

- posted      Profile for His Savageness   Email His Savageness         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto.
Posts: 194 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So now he's innocent.
No. He's not guilty. Huge difference.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer say he is rich...
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any reason to expect him to stop his behavior? Child molesters don't just stop because they're afraid they're going to get caught.

I honestly think that Jackson doesn't believe he is guilty of child molestation. I think he's a sick man with severe psychological problems, and probably sees his activities as child-to-child exploration and expirementation.

No mother should have allowed her child to spend so much time with him at the ranch or anywhere--but unfortunately for some children, his fame overshadowed everything else. Wow! Someone famous wants to do special things with MY son. How lucky we are! And then she turns a blind eye to the strange things she sees--oh, he's just a child at heart. Uh huh.

In my opinion, the DA jumped the gun here. They should have waited for a more credible victim...created a sting operation... SOMETHING better than what they did. Now if they prosecute for another child in the future, it would be a major PR mess, "proving" that they have a vendetta.

His looking weird has nothing to do with it--his own comments about sleeping with children, etc., are enough to cast large amounts of suspicion on him for me.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Is it really so odd to think that some people might enjoy sleeping with children in general in the same way that some people might enjoy sleeping with cats or dogs in general (like me)?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Yes... I think it is. Odd. About the children. Not about cats or dogs.

[Smile]

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Can you elaborate? I am really curious what people's answers are to my question.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it really is weird. He has his own kids, and if he enjoys snuggling in bed with kids so much, then he should snuggle with them. He has an unhealthy fixation with children, particularly other people's.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Well, I assume by sleeping in general, you mean that they derive some sort of pleasure or comfort from sleeping next to or alongside a child who is not their own. When I say pleasure, I don't necessarily mean sexual. Is that a fair assessment?

I don't see sleeping with children to be parellel to sleeping with dogs or cats. I find it odd because I want to know why does this person get enjoyment from sleeping next to a child? What is the child's presence providing to them? I can't think of an answer to that question that doesn't creep me out. Also, what is it about this person that they get enjoyment/comfort from sleeping next to a child? Is it the calming presence? Well... okay, but why not get a cat? Another thing... what effect does it have on the child to fall asleep next to this non-parent/grandparent adult? Do they feel comfortable? A few times when I was growing up I had my "Belly Alarm" go off in situations that made me nervous to be around grown-ups. I imagine that many children have that same alarm--should they be subjected to that possibility just because said adult enjoys sleeping next to children? And finally, what guarantee is there that this person is NOT a predator? And considering that child molestation is a very real danger, what sort of adult would seek permission anyway to sleep with children? An adult should be able to curb their desire, as innocent as it may be, simply because it looks bad and it is asking a parent to forego natural impulses to not allow adults to sleep with their children, and to trust this other adult--and that his desire to sleep with children is somehow innocuous.

So yeah... I think it's odd and suspicious.

-Katarain

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Thank you for your elaboration.

Please note that I am not defending Jackson specifically. I am more just exploring the idea in general.

Katarain
Member # 6659

I understood that. So I tried to go from an "innocent" I like to sleep with kids standpoint.

I happen to find fat babies completely adorable--with their chubby little arms and legs. I always wanna hold them and squeeze them. But I don't. Cause they're not my kids or nephews. I also don't wanna seem like a weirdo. [Smile]

So, what's YOUR reaction? I wanna hear more exploring from you on the idea. [Smile]

-Katarain

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

quote:

I happen to find fat babies completely adorable--with their chubby little arms and legs. I always wanna hold them and squeeze them. But I don't. Cause they're not my kids or nephews. I also don't wanna seem like a weirdo.

This post illustrates the problem that I am thinking about. That last sentence alone pretty much sums up what I and others are seeing as a result of all this goddamn pedophilia hysteria.

Can society mold how people desire others, their sexuality, through media? If it can, then would it not make sense to show men and women interacting with children not as sexual objects, but objects of asexual affection? If we are to desexualize children, does this not mean that we should ignore them as sexual objects completely? That we should potray them as something like neuter people?

The fact that there are 'deviants' in society who desire children shouldn't matter, no more than it should matter in the potrayal of male and female friendships that some men and women abuse each other. In fact, if we believe that the potrayal of children of sexual objects enables or causes their desire, then, again, desexualizing children will cure or inhibit their desire, won't it? If we want to model healthy relationships, it makes sense to model the healthy relationship as positively as possible such that it becomes appealing. Making people nervous about showing affection to children in any way for fear of being labeled pedophiles defeats this purpose.

I grant you that what I am proposing is idealistic, but let's play what if. What would happen if such a thing occured? Would it overall hurt or harm society?

The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That last sentence alone pretty much sums up what I and others are seeing as a result of all this goddamn pedophilia hysteria
We have a case where a grown man, between the ages of 35 to 45, has slept with and shared his own personal bed with hundreds of BOYS, age ten and under.

I do four things in my bed: sleep, read, cuddling/kissing/physical romance, and masturbate.

What is it about Jacko's bed and bedroom that makes him adore sleeping with boys sooo much?

Who ELSE in America would be allowed to get away with this?

He paid off two different families who accused him of the same thing.

This was a tragedy and a crime.

The 3 Laws Never to Be Broken that ALL of civilization must always ALWAYS agree on are:

1) Murder
2) Rape
3) Child Molestation

This was another bad and sad day for America.

T

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
It would be a far sadder day if we violated our basic civil and human right to a fair trial.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny thing Thor...the rules for even those three have varied widely , even among the most famous civilizations in the history of the world.
[Big Grin]

Hi Icky!!!

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

quote:
It would be a far sadder day if we violated our basic civil and human right to a fair trial.
It is that sadder day. Did this man get the same "fair" trial that someone of my 12,000 dollar a year economic situation would recieve?
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I think if the 12K's accuser had a history of lying and blackmail and coaching, that accuser would not be vindicated, either.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Side note:

CABLE NEWS RACE
JACKO VERDICT 5:15-5:30 PM ET

FOXNEWS 4,804,000 VIEWERS
CNN 3,479,000
MSNBC 1,457,000

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.