FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How does one make a husky happy in 85 degree weather?

Author Topic: How does one make a husky happy in 85 degree weather?
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Make it Snow!

Err..... well, sort of. Looks like snow in a section in the back yard. I’ve been brushing for a while now. Couldn’t get all of it in the pic. But thought I’d share my fun.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh yes, the exploding dog syndrome... I know it well.
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Jay, we had a mostly Malamute for fourteen years. By the time all the undercoat came out, it was fall and it would start to grow back.

He was miserable in the heat, but always seemed to find some stinky mud to burrow in.

One time when we were visiting friends in Vermont, he rolled in some fresh, liquid cow manure, jumped into a pond, and went over to some unsuspecting picnickers and shook all over them. The pond water had not washed off the manure, but rather spread it around.

H broke every screen in our house trying to get either in, or out, whichever direction he wanted to go.

He was naughty, but he was the most beautiful dog I have ever seen, and the sweetest, and I miss him every day, though it has been four years since he left us.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always wanted either a malamute or a husky.

What kind of pets do they make? Care? Health? In general maintenance? Temperment? Special instructions? Shedding? Things I'd want to know to expect before getting one?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
You could get him a nice kiddy pool to lie in. My mostly husky dog loves hers, especially when you put rocks on the bottom.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Shave it.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Or both.

Jay, that's one beautiful dog. [Smile]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

KC’s mother is a registered Malamute and her father is a registered Siberian. So a full husky, just two types! Fun! I know what you’re saying Elizabeth. KC is getting up there, she’s 10 now. I’ll probably go into some kind of psychotic depression when she goes. Sigh…

I think she’s a wonderful pet. Very friendly great with people and kids and always wants to play with other dogs, even the viscous growing ones….. She sheds a lot, but if I brush her it’s not to bad. She’s able to get under the porch in the dirt to cool off. Oh, and she’s the best at killing skunks… 4 so far. Lovely baths there. She’s been very healthy. I used one of the flea things on her a couple of years and now she doesn’t seem to get fleas!! Sweet. Haven’t had to worry about that for a number of years.
Also, she howls, learned how to bark some from the neighborhood dogs. But you can tell she’s faking it! Plus very smart. Knows not to jump up on me or lick my face, but likes to see what she can get away with. She’ll try to jump up on visitors or lick them. Once in a blue moon she’ll try to see if she can get away with it. It’s almost funny to see her testing.

I like the kiddy pool idea. I think she would like that since she seems to like the river so much. She’ll get into the water when I take her down there. I could fill that and never have to fill her water dish over the summer! Just kidding!!

Shave? I’ve wondered if that would work with her since she has so many layers of fur. Plus I wasn’t sure if it would come back right for the winter. Have you done that to a husky before?

Thanks Mac!

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a collie, RIP. We never shaved him because supposedly he'd get a nasty sunburn if we did. He spent a lot of time in the shade on cool ground (90+ degree weather), but he would do absolutely anything to come in to the air conditioning!
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

We never shaved Kazak. Once his undercoat came out, he was like any other dog in summer: miserable.

Lyrhawn, some words on the husky-Malamute tribe.

Though I loved this dog like one of my children(until i had children, at which point he really ticked me off for needing stuff-long story most new parents understand, and for which I had incredible guilt), I would not get another of this breed unless I lived in the woods and could let it roam.

We did let Kazak roam, and he was incredibly intelligent about the road. He was smart in all the wrong ways. He could get out of any enclosure, was perfectly trained on the leash, but always stayed out of range of capture when off leash, and was a hunter. Many a chicken met their maker at his paws.

Other than being incredibly naughty in those ways, he was the friendliest dog going, would come to the call for strangers(which I used to my advantage at parks. "Could you call my dog, please, and then hold on to his collar?"), and loved our kids from the bottom of his heart out. He was a magnificent animal.

Still, he was a handfull. Big time.

And yes, he howled. When there were coyotes around, he howled with them. It was eerily beautiful.

They are some of the smnartest animals on earth, and the hardest to train. Man, do I ever miss him!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I have not shaved a dog, but I know a lot of people with cold weather dogs who do, and tehy swear by it. You do have to be careful how close they shave tt because you want to leave SOME fur, to avoid the sunburn mentioned above.

quote:
Oh, and she’s the best at killing skunks
Man, I hear you there, I had a Brittny/Springer Spaniel who loved to do that. She also once chased a small black bear out of our yard, although I got the feeling that teh bear was more confused than scared....

[Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
A good "scraping-blade" outdoors, and a good vac indoors?
Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Jay, your dog looks pretty happy. [Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B-HAX
Member # 6640

- posted      Profile for B-HAX   Email B-HAX         Edit/Delete Post 
Bears? Letting dogs roam?! Where do you people live?

BTW Beautiful husky, I enjoyed seeing your dog. I have a golden retriever, he's my first golden and I'll swear by this breed. Awesome companion dog!

Posts: 70 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Eruve
Member # 6883

- posted      Profile for Lady Eruve   Email Lady Eruve         Edit/Delete Post 
What a beautiful dog! I love huskies. [Smile]

I used to have a german shepard/husky, and he was the best dog in the world. He was sweet and gentle with kids, but big and scary looking enough to scare people away. He was good as a watchdog until you petted him, then he would stop barking and go away. He liked to howl a lot, too. He would "sing along" whenever my dad would practice the bagpipes. He was also a really smart dog. We tried to keep him in a pen, but he always found a way out. I also noticed that he was kind of the "King of the Neighborhood". When we went for walks, all the other dogs treated him like he was the boss. He died a few years ago in a heat wave. [Frown] I really miss him, he was a great dog.

Posts: 55 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
We always had my dog in a run or a pen (a golden retriver/English setter mix). He hated being indoors in the daytime (even in the hot humid summer), so he had plenty of water and shade outside, and when he came inside he'd sack out either in the basement or the bathtub.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

B-HAX,

When I forst got my dog, I lived at a farm school. Then California(hell for him), then the woods of Western Mass., then a farm in Western Mass., and by the time we moved to rural suburbia, there was no way to keep him in. He was one of those dogs who would have gone through an electric fence, chossing to experience a bit of pain in order to get to freedom.

We just had some people from Freecycle take down the 500 dollar chain link fence we bought when we moved in. It held him for one minute. We kept reinforcing it, but he finally just pulled the links with his teeth and made a hole.

Like I said, he was smart, but in devilish ways.

Jay
Member # 5786

Yeah, KC hates being indoors now. She’ll want to come in for a little bit, but would rather be outside at night now. Oh well. Guess more evening walks.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Shave that dog, man.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
I second the kiddie pool suggestion. My dogs love the kiddie pool. They will both lay in it on hot days. They also love it if you throw things in the pool. We throw baby carrots and they are incredibly amusing to watching trying to get the carrots up.

Theresa

Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I have seen the kiddie pool in use for dogs, and it is cool. They really love it, but PLEASE don't get an inflatable....

Yes, I do know someone that dumb. [Wink]

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm anxiously awaiting our fence, because we gave the kennel to a friend, when we decided we'd fence the back instead, and my pups absolutely love being outdoors.

It's driving me crazy because until we get it fenced I must be out there with them, to keep them from wandering off and in case some neighbor dogs wander over.

They love water - they both like to jump and splash in their water bowl, which is annoying because it means I have to refill it for them. I swear they do it on purpose now - "Let's play in the water and make her go turn on the hose again!"

I also swear that Belle (for those that don't know my daughter named her new puppy Belle, against my wishes, but hey, she wanted her to have a "princess name") is younger than Shadow. Even though they're littermates, Shadow acts like the older sister. Belle is immature and flighty. Shadow almost acts as if Belle gets on her nerves with her antics. They are very fun to watch.

Since this is a dog thread - does anyone have any suggestions on the registered name for Shadow?

Belle is going to be registered as Bamawards Liberty Belle but I don't know what to register Shadow as. Yes, I did think of Shadow Puppets or Ender's Shadow, but my husband would never stand for it. Liberty Belle came from my oldest daugther, her suggestion once Abigail named her puppy Belle was to name the other one Liberty and call her Libby. Daniel however, insisted on his right to name his puppy and named her Shadow. So I told Natalie we would put Liberty Belle in the registered name instead.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
My in-laws have similar issues with their big Samoyed. He is enough of a housedog that he ends up spending a lot of the time indoors, where there is a swamp cooler. In addition, they often give him a ridiculous looking haircut that leaves him looking like a 100+ pound toy poodle. He looks terriby undignified, but much more comfortable.

I knew a family in Guatemala, near the Pacific coast, that bought a collie. Collies were never meant to live with that kind of heat and humidity. He was the most miserable creature I ever saw. He would sit all day on the screened-in porch, under a chair, panting his little heart out, and shedding like there was no tomorrow. Poor guy.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
even the viscous growing ones
Does that mean they're getting sloooower and slooooooower?

Heh.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a collie/german shepherd dog... whe we lived in the country he would lie in the creek on hot days, but he prefered to come inside and lie over the vents and let the cool air-conditioned air blow on him.

Now we have no air-conditkoning and poor Toby has been miserable. So my daughter and I grabbed some scissors and cut his hair short. He looks silly but he is so much happier, he frisks about like a puppy.

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Promethius
Member # 2468

- posted      Profile for Promethius           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a husky and she is miserable in this weather, she is always panting and I dont know what to do. I do live on a lake so she can swim but she only goes in up to her chest and wades. Even after she gets out she still pants! I brush her almost daily get piles of hair.
Posts: 473 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
That dog looks a little chunky. Weight problem?
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ahh yes, the exploding dog syndrome... I know it well.
[ROFL]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Chunky? She's a husky. And doesn't eat that much
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"That dog looks a little chunky. Weight problem?"

Jay, the proper response is: it's just fur."

Of course, our vet then informed us that our dog was a porker.

Jay
Member # 5786

Layers upon layers of endless fur that seem to get into the strangest places. I’ll be out somewhere and find a husky hair on something of mine. Seems to be like desert sand, gets into everything…….
The vet has said that KC was just right. Now some of KC’s kids that my parents have. Wow! One of them is a huge porker. Might have a pic of them at home. Fun!

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Jay,
A woman I knew used to spin her husky's hair for yarn.

Jay
Member # 5786

Really? Wow….. I think I could get enough to stuff a king sized bed.
I’ve heard of people using it for tying fishing flies too.
I should sell it on ebay!!!

Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Your yard looks like you ran over the dog with a lawn mower [Wink]

And beware of clothing or other articles made from dog-hair yarn, when they get wet they smell like wet dog (obviously).

Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

You can tell if a dog is overweight or underweight by putting your fingers on his ribcage. If you can feel the ribs but not SEE the ribs, he's the right weight. If you can make out all the ribs, the dog needs to put on a few pounds. If you can't feel the ribs, then the dog needs to lose a few. With an active husky, it's most likely fur. I highly doubt that KC is overweight.

I forgot I have another dog story. I was hiking the other weekend and descending the trail when I came across the largest animal I've seen while hiking.

A Saint Bernard. He was HUGE. I've never come face to face with one until then. A great big dog with shaggy fur and a big ol' friendly face.

Problem was this poor guy was 2 miles up with a signicant amount of elevation gain in 85 degree heat with 75% humidity. He was MISERABLE. His humans were trying to get him to keep slogging up the trail when he was already quite obviously knackered.

I nearly laughed out loud when he plunked himself down on the trail and absolutely refused to move. I wanted to cheer him along!

Not long after, the group passed me again as they were descending. They found a nice water pool in the nearby stream and the saint bernard happily sat right in it.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"And beware of clothing or other articles made from dog-hair yarn, when they get wet they smell like wet dog (obviously)."

Actually, it doesn't.
Clean wet dogs smell nice.
I remember asking her about this, and she said it does not smell bad.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Mack, hugest dog I ever saw was an Irish wolfhound. They are like ponies, for crying out loud.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Ha ha! Can you take a picture? I would love to see it.
mackillian
Member # 586

Liz, I know about Irish Wolfhounds. Lead (very lurking hatracker) fostered one and is now fostering another. She's also awaiting her own IW puppy in coming year.

One day, I want an IW. Yup. I love big dogs.

Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Shave him. Give him a lion cut!
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.