FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Moving update (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Moving update
KrabbyPatty
Member # 7055

- posted      Profile for KrabbyPatty   Email KrabbyPatty         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, but you were driving a little truck.
Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Are you intentionally insulting 'cause I haven't called you back yet? I called you three times this morning and you didn't answer. [Razz] (No, I didn't leave messages.)

Anyway, I'll call after my next meeting. [Smile]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
We made it.

Dana did, in fact, beat the movers here. And she got to see the beautiful job that Krabby & P_Nurse did finishing the floors that she and they had started working on last week. All I can say is "wow!" The floors came out looking so cool. Not too light, not too dark. Lots of character that you can only get by using the floor for 100 years or so.

Wow!

The movers were working in 93 degree heat. Going up the slope from the street to the front steps, then across the porch, then, about 1/2 the time, going up the stairs to the 2nd floor. They didn't gouge a wall or break anything that wasn't already kind of iffy anyway (the top of one chip-board bookcase got nailed, but that's it!)

We did indeed have too much stuff left over after the moving van departed. My trailer was already overweight with the motorcycle, so we couldn't really do much more in there (bedding and other light items). My car and dkw's car were full. Then Mike called and we begged him to keep Smokey and come up and take a load of stuff and bring it to us later.

Mike and Patty are the kinds of friends I wish I could be.

Too wonderful!

So, now the house is full of boxes. We have managed to carve paths through to the places we need to get (like the kitchen and bathroom and a corner of the bedroom). I got the computer set up going, sort of. My router isn't happy. Neither is the router that dkw had at her place. So, we aren't networked yet, but we will be soon, I hope.

The cable modem is working though, so we have high speed internet. Just one computer at a time. Ugh.

The living room is cleared of stuff so we can sit in there and so dkw could take a picture and so we could have some sort of sanctuary.

Sanctuary!
Sanctuary!

Which reminds me, I'm supposed to be putting up the new doorbell button.

I guess I'll let dkw play now.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

Yay!

Happy new house!

Here's to many happy years in it.

*cheers*

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the top of one chip-board bookcase got nailed
Those wouldn't be the bookcases that rivka bought ya for your wedding would they?

Edit: This is Xavier by the way

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
No! Rivka's were the ones that stayed in their boxes until we're ready for them here. The are marked "Team Lift Only" and "Heavy." One of the movers grabbed one under each arm, and walked up the stairs with them.

I tried lifting them one at a time with both hands and had a really hard time.

These were REAL men.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
He picked up two at a time!? Wow, I think it took two of us to pick up those boxes.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Yeah, he had bulging muscles with a tattoo of a chain on each bicep. It was really amazing to see the links stretch.

Not that I was "looking" or anything.

I'm just saying, I acknowledge it, he is a REAL man. Probably kills his own food with his bare hands. And makes stuff.

I have to wonder though, would weight-lifting be a good stress-reliever activity if your job involved moving boxes and furniture? I mean clearly the guy is a body builder, but is there no down time?

I tried to dislike them, but these were the nicest bunch of movers I've ever met. Personable. They came with us to the church-lady lunch in Radcliffe and were so darned polite it made me ashamed of my own poor manners.

Great guys. It's a family business located not too far from here. They were one of the first movers to join the Mayflower line (back in the 1930's). I heard the driver/foreman call the office and he said "Hi mom, is _____ there?"

So nice.

Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Probably kills his own food with his bare hands.
Uh-huh. And who knows what else.

quote:
I tried to dislike them, but these were the nicest bunch of movers I've ever met. Personable. They came with us to the church-lady lunch in Radcliffe and were so darned polite it made me ashamed of my own poor manners.

. . . . I heard the driver/foreman call the office and he said "Hi mom, is _____ there?"

Yeah, yeah, right up till you read in the newspaper he's been convicted of killing his mom. It's always the nice, quiet ones that flip out.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I know exactly what you mean, I've been suspicious of you for years!
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
One of our movers was a short little guy, kind of skinny. He wrapped a moving blanket around our 36" television and carried it over his shoulder down the stairs and out to the truck.

Eve and I were just flabbergasted. I can lift that TV by myself, but I can't carry it anywhere. And I could have military pressed this guy, he was so small.

Expertise, in all its forms, is awesome to behold.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Dag. Our movers were all small skinny guys too and they had no problem moving the biggest stuff. We had to put things in storage for a while and it was amazing how high they had things stacked in the storage unit.
quote:
It's always the nice, quiet ones that flip out.
Bob posts a lot just to avoid this very suspicion.

I had some friends that bought a fixer-upper years ago. They stayed in their apartment for 3 months while they went to the house every night after work. They stripped all the wallpaper off and painted, pulled up the linoleum and put down new tile through the kitchen and halls, etc. They bought it for $90k about 10 years ago in the Delaney area south of Orlando (I'm sure Bob knows where that is). It's easily worth $400k now.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Very cool.

My big worry is buying a place, fixing it up, and having it be worth LESS than when I started.

Fortunately, dkw is here to make sure I don't do anything really crazy.

Our A/C team came through here yesterday. Like a blizzard in June, let me tell you! The owner pulled them off another job and had them over here before lunch. By 5 pm we were chillin'. Air is blowing. Cool is spreading.

This is the best!

It's still a tad warm in the house, but several hundred boxes make a rather large heat sink, plus the walls of this place probably soaked up their own reserve of energy to dissipate.

Now if only I could find my coffee maker.

Other news: I got the wireless router working. I couldn't connect to it to change the settings from static to dynamic addressing. What I forgot is that for some bizarre reason I had gone in and changed the router page address to something other than the one listed in the documentation. Crud.

Well, it turns out I'd changed it to the default address that the OTHER router uses, so I could just use one address... Duh.

Now, all is back to default settings and the world is fresh and new again.

And my e-mail comes through 10x faster.

Yippee

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Still have yet to locate any of the coffee pots/cofee makers. I own several. None have been in the boxes I was sure they were in. I know they are in separate boxes, though, because I purposefully didn't put them together for fear that I'd be without coffee for days.

I've managed okay with coffee from various restaurants & stores, but as any true coffee afficionado knows, you can't go get coffee without first having coffee. Far too dangerous.

We found a Melitta single-serving plastic cone and a set of the #6 cone filters (designed for making about 10 coups I think).

I'm using one huge filter per cup of coffee.

It'll do.

Not the best tasting coffee this way, but it's far better than no coffee at all.

You should see the pantry. Dana built huge metal racks and has installed all the dry goods and devices in the downstairs bedroom (now pantry/butler's room, etc.)

It looks so cool!

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Today I broke apart the strange wooden contraption the previous owners had constructed next to the front door. It looked good at a distance. Beyond the horizon to be exact. Up close, it was a strange mix of plywood and various ornamental wood strips in a contrasting stain.

Lovely.

On it's right side was attached the guts from an old 4-tube doorbell mechanism. It was also placed in a homemade wooden box with contrasting ornamentation.

I kept the four tubes to make a wind chime.

The rest of it took me 2 hours to dismantle using a hammer and crow bar.

My neighbors think I'm insane.

But now the stupid thing is off our porch. Good thing too. We need room for the rusted appliances and the old overstuffed couch.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.