FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Was a mayfly - now a discussion on favored fonts and stationary :) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Was a mayfly - now a discussion on favored fonts and stationary :)
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
No, because then I would feel inferior to you in all respects.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I think that'd be ideal. I had a hard enough time just finding a regular copy editor job, though, so it might be a while before I snag my dream job.

Edit: This was supposed to come right after Kat's. It reads a little different coming after Annie's. [Smile]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*laugh*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

[Smile]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

If it is the person I think it is, it helps that they are clearly completely, totally bonkers.

Well the last part of that sentence applies to me. [Dont Know] I just can't help it!
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

If it's any consolation, I think I'm good at page layout and typography, but not so much at the artsier stuff like logo design—you know, real graphic design. So I think you're safe.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Futura is another I love. I used it to make a bunch of t-shirts at www.zazzle.com.

Which, by the way, is a fun site.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not so bad at the graphic design either. Maybe I just blocked the name of the font because I hate it so bloody much.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it bizarre that anybody gets so worked up over fonts.

That's not a slam or anything -- it's just something that I don't get.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever it was, it wasn't me.

I know I'm probably on the list of suspects (Being nuts and all,) so I just thought I'd mention it. I read about it on the Dear You thread, but just saw this thread. I thought those weren't supposed to be about people we all knew in common? Or was it just Galactic people?

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I don't know who it is.

Actually, I think it was for that purpose that Dear You threads were created. I can say exactly what I mean, the person will get it, and it will only mean something to that person. Communication possible only because of that thread. I am impressed by it.

I really don't know who it is. It could be anyone, it could be a lurker, or it could be someone who will never see either GC or Hatrack. The last seems unlikely, but I don't know. Whoever it is, they still haven't e-mailed me to fess up.

So, to whomever it is: Pansy. Come on out and show yourself.

I'll be gentle. [Smile]

[ June 15, 2005, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
Hey! What's wrong with comic sans??!! I love Comic Sans font!

Yes, my dear, but you also like this!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
That is a beautifuly hideous couch. I would love that in our house.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Oh, let me mention that I have no idea what you are talking about, so it can't be me.
Annie
Member # 295

Porter, I hope it doesn't come across as despising people who use certain fonts. That's certainly not how I mean it.

For me, most of the annoyance comes from the prevalence of desktop publishing and the fact that just because everyone can do things themselves they think they should. I went to four years of school and studied fine art - not just computers - to learn the basics of visual design and then there are people around me who sell second-rate design work because they have a computer that will do it. One day I counted how many signs in my town are in Algerian and it was rather depressing. People are getting ripped off by the sign company and by the local marketing company that makes all their newspaper ads. It's not like it ultimately matters, especially in this small town where not a lot of people are bothered by shoddy design or can even tell the difference - but a lot of these businesses are trying to get statewide and regional appeal and don't realize how very unprofessional their publicity looks. Bigger time enterprises are laughing at them, and they spent good money getting advertising done by someone who has no clue about visual design but has the chutzpah to charge for it.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I'd like to echo what Annie said: I don't actually hate people just because they like fonts like Comic Sans. But if I did rule the world, I would at least ban its use. [Smile]

This is what I hate about word processing programs, particularly Word: they turn anyone into a designer without giving them any sort of training or expertise.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I recall when Word was new, everyone had to experiment with all the different fonts, point sizes, italics, bold, colors...

Office memos started looking like ransom notes.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:

Bad fonts
Bookman

NO! You can't take my Bookman Old Style away from me! I love that font!

[Cry]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

<mulder>
I have assembled a profile of the poison penner, since they have refused to own up to it themselves.

Traits that are for sure:
1. Live journal user, probably heavily-invested live journal user.
2. Part of ad hoc Hatrack community on Live Journal, but may not be part of the official one.
3. Reads the boutique forums and sites of our 'verse here.

Profile of a personality:
4. Spiteful/malicious
5. Passive aggressive
6. Self-righteous
7. Evil and/or bonkers
8. Hates me.

There was a witness. We have an artist's rendering.

----

I can't help it. I'm starting to be amused. Not because everything's fine - it isn't. Someone did the equivelent of e-mailing my dad to link him to my most hurt moments of anger about him, and they did it anonymously and for no reason other than spite. No, things are not all better, although I trust that they will be. Hope, anyway, but leaning towards trust.

Maybe it's a reaction - it's just funny.

Dear PP: Do you want my attention? Or are you just trying to make someone else as miserable as you are? Seriously - I hope you're doing someting about your life because that's not healthy.

Also, you did it on the anniversary of my mother's death. You are so going to hell.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

quote:
5. Passive aggressive
Well, that's not me. I'm just aggressive. [Big Grin]

Well, to be more specific, since I certainly could be counted as a suspect...

quote:
1. Live journal user, probably heavily-invested live journal user.
2. Part of ad hoc Hatrack community on Live Journal, but may not be part of the official one.
3. Reads the boutique forums and sites of our 'verse here.

Profile of a personality:
4. Spiteful/malicious
5. Passive aggressive
6. Self-righteous
7. Evil and/or bonkers
8. Hates me.

1. Definitely not me. I think that blogging, in general, is a bad idea if it's about personal things. Diaries I can understand, but you're posting personal things on the internet someone you're talking about is eventually going to read it and feel wounded (happened to me once).
2. See previous statement. Hell, even look at my profile. I put that LiveJournal ID thing in there when they first put it in, just as a joke.
3. I'm assuming "Boutique Forums" means places like GreNME, Sakeriver, Gamesmaq and Galactic Cactus. I do read them, so I certainly qualify as a suspect here.
4. I wouldn't say I'm spiteful. You have to care to be spiteful. I'm definitely malicious, I'm just more direct about it. [Evil]
5. Stated above.
6. Not self-rightous. I think I'm right all the time, but that just makes me a smart-***.
7. I'm not really evil. Just bored and mean. Definitely not bonkers, though.
8. Well, I wouldn't say I hate you. I don't really like you all that much, and I do think that you're crazy, but even if I did hate you, I'd never send your personal thoughts about your father his way. That's not cool at all. Not even funny, really (my main motivator for being mean).

[ June 16, 2005, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: Primal Curve ]

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I have/had it because I don't want to burden y'all or my e-mail friends with frustrations. This also means that it's horribly tilted - only the bad stuff goes in there, by definition.

---

*sigh* No PC, you're not crazy, you're just worthless. Thanks for making it worse. Really.

---

I do realize that it was public, and that revelation was a possibility. It also helps that my worst is really not that bad. Also, nothing new.

It was just mean. I can't believe I'm shocked by it. I still don't know who it is. The list of possibilities is dwindling, and I have a prime suspect. I'm not sure what I'd do if I had it confirmed. Part of me wants to take them apart with my bare hands (gently, of course), but most of me doesn't care about them at all as long as the consequences are fixed.

It was so cruel, though. What is wrong with people?

[ June 16, 2005, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

quote:
you're just worthless.
Yes, well, f*** you too.
katharina
Member # 827

PC, you just called me crazy and unlikable. You were expecting a kiss?
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

One turn deserves another.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Maybe it's time to delete this thread, eh?
katharina
Member # 827

What are you talking about?

By the way, you were never on the suspect list.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Porter, I hope it doesn't come across as despising people who use certain fonts. That's certainly not how I mean it.
You didn't come across like that at all. It's just obvious from your posts that are passionate about which fonts ought to be used. It kinda boggles my mind that a normal person (you qualify [Smile] ) could care so much about that.

For me, the only time that fonts bug me is when it makes it hard to read what is being written. Other then that, it's all good.

As a result, I never use anything but Times for printed stuff. (I can't use Times for my everyday computer work, because a need a constant-width font.)

Annie
Member # 295

That's just awful, Katie. [Frown] I don't suppose there's any possibility it could have been a misunderstanding?
katharina
Member # 827

There's no way it was a misunderstanding at all. [Frown] That's why I put the bonkers element up there - it wasn't in the heat of a moment. It had to be planned, and it was so incredibly mean. That's just not a product of a happy, healthy mind.

I certainly bear some responsibility - I did write it all, and I put it in a place that was linkable. I guess I counted on the extreme, extreme unliklihood of him stumbling across it himself, which would have been true. I didn't imagine this as a possibility.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I understand now why Sara always deletes all her past posts.

Perhaps I should too - I have talked about my family before.

I just hate to think we can't trust our friends here. That idea really saddens me.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to post some favorite fonts, but we're past that, I guess.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.