FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Technical (yet non-computer) help please?

Author Topic: Technical (yet non-computer) help please?
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
The timer on our washing machine has gone out, and the replacement part with tax & shipping is about $115.

The annoying part is that it's mose likely not the entire timer that's bad, but simply the small motor (1/2 rpm?!) that's part of the complete timer mechanism. I don't think it's entirely shot, because the timer has worked in fits and starts, but it won't stay working.

Is there any way to coax this motor to work? Can I squirt some lubricant into it somewhere or something? There aren't any obvious places on the motor to do this, but can I put WD-40 or some graphite lubricant or something into the very small hole I can find without having a danger of it igniting or exploding or anything when I put it back in the washer? Or am I totally sunk?

Unfortunately, the motor doesn't remove easily from the timer. It's not welded on, but there are metal prongs bent to hold it in, and it's pretty darn snug. I might be able to bend them enough to get the motor out, but I almost assuredly couldn't bend them back in position and have the motor in as tight as it is now.

Thanks in advance, whether anyone is able to help or not.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Does the motor spin easily? You probably can't tell, because it's trying to turn the timer mechanism.

I'd suspect the brushes aren't making good contact with the commutator.

Can you see any part inside the motor, like a commutator? Or does it just look like a metal can? The best way to clean a commutator is with emery cloth, but you have to get inside to do that. Sometimes there are little screw plugs that allow you to remove the brushes and clean it that way. You find those on drills, but I doubt this thing was designed to be serviced.

You could get some electronics cleaner and see if just spraying it inside the motor brings out any gunk. In addition to the commutator, that might clean the bearings as well. I don't know what effect WD-40 would have on the brushes if they get wet, so cleaning the bearings might be a better option anyway. Make sure you let it dry well before you run it again.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's pretty much a can. If there are any openings, they're on the side that faces the rest of the mechanism -- the side I can't get to. I can see inside and there's a small hole in the middle of the mostly-unreachable side. A WD-40 tube would fit in there, but even the briefest squirt of that junk would undoubtedly be way too much if I can't get in there to wipe away the excess. And I can't tell if the motor is spinning because there's no real way to see it if it's connected to the washing machine -- at least not without tools I don't have.

I think this was specifically designed not to be serviced, just so that I'd have to shell out big bucks for the replacement assembly. (Flargan Schnargan Beeblebrox!)

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Welllllllllll

Since you are going to end up replacing the thing anyway, my advice is to take it apart and have a fun learning experience.

Motors are a pain in the following ways:

1) The motor itself is cheap and pretty much standardized.

2) The housings are NEVER standardized. Or usually not.

So, even if you could do something to the motor to "fix" it, if you damage the housing in any way, you're buying a new one whether you want to or not.

Spraying oil inside a motor is a patently bad idea. In fact, you could patent the idea if it weren't for the fact that I've already beaten you to it.

Sadly, while motors do sometimes need oiling, most are designed never to be oiled. In other words, they wear out and are replaced.

The suspicion that it's the contact between the brushes and the commutator is probably a good one as well. So, really, it's not likely that there's some friction that must be overcome by the application of a drop of oil and the thing will run great afterwards.

Most likely the brushes have fouled in some manner and would need to be cleaned.

So...here's a thought. Buy the new one. Take apart the old one. If you get it working, send the new one back. If you don't (and trust me, you won't) you won't have waited to order it.

Good luck!

Happy motoring.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.