FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Check Engine Conspiracy (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Check Engine Conspiracy
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
So this little light comes on: "Service Engine Soon". Yikes! What does it mean? I call my mechanic who tells me "You'd better bring it in, it could be anything."

So I bring it in. They work on it all day, trying to diagnose the problem. The verdict: The gas cap wasn't screwed on tightly enough. The remedy: They screwed it on tighter. Cost to me: A cool C-note.

Good Golly! Now I have a little light on the dashboard of my car that can come on periodically when there is not a thing wrong with the car, except that it feels sorry for the poor mechanic, and wants to slip him $100.

Can the mechanics activate these little lights by remote-control radio frequency? To whom does my car owe its loyalty -- to me who feeds and shelters it and takes it out for exercise and to parking lots to meet other cars; or to the mechanic who gets under its hood and lubes it up real good?

I am disgusted with my whore of a car! I asked how much it would cost just to remove that little light bulb, so the car won't play this trick on me again. No surprise -- the mechanic was unwilling to do it. One wonders why.

I'm looking into getting a horse and cart. Or maybe a dogsled.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Just don't, whatever you do, ignore that light for months on end. [edit: actually, it was a different dash light, but the point remains]

That can get really expensive.

How do I know? Uh . . . no reason.

*whistles innocently*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of car?

This sounds like a job for the Tappit Brothers!!

Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a similar problem. My "low coolant" light came on one day, and I panicked, being pretty far from home and my nice, trusty mechanic. I thought about getting the coolant leevl checked at Canadian Tire service centre, and they wanted $67! To unscrew the cap and say "yep, it's low."

On the advice of my mechanic, who is a dear and gave me his cell number, I ignored it since my engine was not overheating, and continued on to my destination.

Next day, I take it up to get checked, and he looks, says, yep, let me top that up for you, does so, and I go on my way.

Worth his weight in gold, is rich (and his brother Vic). I can't imagine not having someone I trust.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by screechowl:
What kind of car?

2003 Chevy Venture
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
They now make a little device for about $150-$200 that enables you to read your own car's computer. I've been tempted to buy it.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

But you still need to have the little light professionally extinguished, or else the car won't pass state inspection (at least that's the law in New Jersey).
screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
Different states. Kansas has no vehicle inspection laws. Most Kansans west of highway 81 just take a hammer to the light and that takes care of the problem. Pick-up drivers anyway.

If you know Click and Clack on NPR, you know what they would say about that little light.

Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I get a low coolant light periodically. Just watch the temperature gauge carefully, and fill it up with water as soon as possible.

My mechanic wouldn't have pulled that stunt with me. I'd find another one, Tante.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
My check engine light has been on since I bought my van. The alternator went out a couple of months before I bought it, and the lady replaced it with a part that didn't come directly from Ford. Apparently, the new alternator is slightly off in the energy department, and the little light WILL NOT shut off until/unless I replace the alternator with a factor Ford part. [Mad]

I wouldn't mind the little light, if it only came on when the engine really did need service. (I had it checked over by 3 different mechanics before I bought it, and they all said the new alternator is fine, the check engine thing is just sensitive, and to have the van serviced regularly and ignore it.)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could ignore my truck's Check Engine light, but I can't pass state inspections with it on.

It used to turn off when the gas was about 3/4 full and come back on at 1/4. I had a half a tank of nag-free driving. Now it just stays on.

The dealer I bought the truck from footed the bill to have the light taken care of. So the light stayed off for a few days and then came on again. And I didn't feel like going back to the dealer's mechanic, because I hate how slimy mechanics deal with chronic car problems.

You CAN have your codes checked for free at Autozone. However, I have also been tempted to get a reader. It's one of those must-haves for the wannabe DIY mechanic.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
You can go to Auto Zone and they will turn it off for you AND wipe the memory, to pass inspection.

I know from experience. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky4
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for Lucky4   Email Lucky4         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, [ROFL]
Posts: 186 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
My check engine light recently cost me about 500 dollars. The light is evil.

One way to reset it, however, is to unhook the positive cable from your battery for several hours. Then hook it back up and drive it. This will reset the computer in most cars, and its a good way to test whether your check engine light is something serious or small.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
More and more I feel very appreciative about having a mechanic for a father.

And he's an honest mechanic.

Tante, why couldn't you top off your own coolant? It's pretty easy to find and fix. Instructions are even in your owner's manual.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
My owners manual for my Nissan truck actually very emphatically states that if the "check engine" light comes on, the very FIRST thing you should check is your gas cap. Loosen and re-tighten it.

Ever single time I've had the light come on, that has always been the problem. I'm glad Nissan states that up front, so I haven't had to spend any money for a mechanic to tell me something so obvious.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. If the check engine light comes on, pop the hood and check all your fluid levels before going to a mechanic.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
My ucle is a mechanic, but he's an ass. Won't give free service to even his own daughter who needs the car to work and support his own granddaughter. He says he will, but leaves the car unattended for long periods of time while my couisin hitches rides from friends and stuff.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Promethius
Member # 2468

- posted      Profile for Promethius           Edit/Delete Post 
I also have an excellent mechanic. Just a few days ago my cars front left tire was making a squeeking sound whenever the wheel turned to the left, I took it to him immediately(I was already on my way into town) When I got there I told him the problem and he immediately backed another car out of the garage and put my car up on the lift. He pulled off both front tires and yanked a piece of gravel out from between the break pad and its contact point. The whole thing took about 15 minutes and he didnt charge me for it. I know alot of places that charge a flat fee just to look under the hood. This guy has won himself a customer for as long as I live in this area which is far more lucrative for him than the 65 bucks he would have gotten for charging to look under the hood.
Posts: 473 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
So this little light comes on: "Service Engine Soon". Yikes! What does it mean? I call my mechanic who tells me "You'd better bring it in, it could be anything."
Which just goes to show...

... always ask Hatrack first!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhtTigress
Member # 8123

- posted      Profile for WhtTigress   Email WhtTigress         Edit/Delete Post 
I had my check engine light come on once. The car acted like it had bad gas, which is one of the things the manual says it could be. The light went off a couple of days later, and everything seemed fine. The car is under waranty though, so when I took my car in for an oil change I told them about it and it turns out there was a blown gasket in the engine. They fixed it for free, but I'm sure glad I mentioned it when I went in.

Rhiannon

Posts: 14 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:

... always ask Hatrack first!

O! Great Hatrack! So wise, so compassionate, so all-knowing! Your poor and humble servant has learned her lesson.

<submissively bows low, and backs out of the room>
[Hail]
<ow! bumped my butt on the way out the door>

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Tante- Check out your other thread.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! My car is doing that and my mechanic told me the same this about the gas cap and not over filling it. I had it in for other stuff so he didn’t charge for the gas cap and filling advice, but now it comes on all the time. I’ve noticed that where the cap fits in seems loose so I’m wondering if this could be the deal and it’s not getting a good vacuum or something. Wonder if I could get a new gas cap or if I’m going to need the whole length of the thing.
Grand AM by the way before someone asks.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Great Hatrack
Member # 8233

- posted      Profile for Great Hatrack           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Tante! You must bow down to me!
Posts: 9 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Great Hatrack:
Yes, Tante! You must bow down to me!

[Hail]

[Roll Eyes] (I'm the newbie and you have a post count of ONE. Presumptuous!)

Great Hatrack
Member # 8233

You are correct, my divine form only has one post. But total, I have more than enough to rule the universe! *bwhahahahahahahaha*
Posts: 9 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Sheesh! Posing as a Pillar with one Post!
Great Hatrack
Member # 8233

Luck is in your favor, for I am only kidding. If I was serious I would have fried someone's hair. Now, I will return to the abyss until Hatrack needs my power.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

[Wave]
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Tante, you realize that was me, right?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Tante,

A lot of times you can reset the computer by simply disconnecting the negative battery terminal for awhile. I, uh, did that to pass my emissions test.

To note, the CEL was on because I'm having a problem with my torque converter. However, it doesn't seem to be effecting engine power (except when doing hard accelleration on the freeway) nor is it effecting my gas mileage. Therefore, I can only assume that it's not bad for the environment (beyond what a gasoline engine normally does). So, bite me, CEL. I'll worry about the torque converter later. I'd rather not crack open my transmission right now, thanks.

Of course, newer cars have no access to the battery because the manufacturers think that you'll eff it up by reversing the terminals or putting jumper cables on backwards. It can kill all of the one-way switches in the electrical system- effectively destroying yoru car, but I'd rather be given the benefit of the doubt. It's not like some retarded mechanic wouldn't do the same thing.

As to the gas cap thing. It is important. Your fuel system needs to remain pressurized in order to work properly. A loose gas cap or a gas cap with a crappy gasket will prevent the tank from pressurizing (you should hear a hiss when you loosen your gas cap). So, yeah and stuff.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, in a lot of cars the check engine light is triggered by the O2 sensor, which indicated either you ran it on bad gas, or your gas cap is loose.

My last two vehicles (GMC Jimmy, Honda Accord) there was some combination of turning the key for a certain length of time and some other stuff simultaneously that would reset the light.

Moral of the story - check the owners manual before you go to a mechanic.

With one exception The overheating light.

Do. Not. Play. With. This.

If you overheating light comes on, pull over ASAP (less than a minute) and let your car cool and have someone who knows look at it. Otherwise you may be buying a new head gasket/new engine.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
" Yeah, in a lot of cars the check engine light is triggered by the O2 sensor, which indicated either you ran it on bad gas, or your gas cap is loose."

Or you have a vacuum leak in the intake system, or you have a fuel injector stuck open, or your ignition system isn't quite doing its job, or you have low compression in a cylinder from bad rings or a stuck valve, or your mass airflow sensor is bad, or you have a bad O2 sensor, or you have a leak in your exhaust, or you have a bad temperature sensor or themostat that's keeping your engine from running at the right temperature.

I could go on. Actually, in some cars the check engine light also just comes on after a certain number of miles, like 60,000 in the old Mazda B2000, so you have to bring it in to a Mazda dealer to have the O2 sensor checked, because so many people just ignore service intervals and drive the car with a bad O2 sensor and thus put out way more pollution that they would be if they bothered to have their car serviced the way they ought to.

But by all means, read the owners manual, and it may well tell you how to reset the Check Engine light in case it's a transient problem like a loose gas cap. Then, if the light comes back on in a week, take it the dealer and get it fixed.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Eruve
Member # 6883

- posted      Profile for Lady Eruve   Email Lady Eruve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Just don't, whatever you do, ignore that light for months on end.

Especially when that light is joined by ALL the little lights on the dashboard, and a strange clunking/jerking sound from under the hood...
Posts: 55 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:
(you should hear a hiss when you loosen your gas cap).

PC,

I live in New Jersey, where it is illegal to pump your own gas. Really, and no kidding, Full Service is the Law of the Land. So I don't loosen my own gas cap. I mean, I guess I could, if I was in my own driveway and not at a gas station.

Sometimes I cross state lines and need a fill up, and I am forced to pump. Oh! The horror! They don't even supply packages of Wash'n'Dri to wipe the shmutz off your hands!

It makes me realize what a spoiled princess I am. And I am grateful for that, because there are few better roles in life than being a spoiled princess.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:

I suspected, but wasn't sure. You are adorable! [Kiss]
advice for robots
Member # 2544

It's hard to imagine having someone else pump my gas for me. I think I've only been to one full service station in my entire driving life.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Well, next time you come to the Great Garden State, we will expect you to do teshuvah, and not only have the attendant fill your tank, but also check your oil and wash your windshield.
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Oregon doesn't allow self serve either, but when I lived there, I owned a volkswagen with a modified fuel 21 gallon fuel tank. Nobody but me could figure out how to get the pump nozzle to flow continuously; the auto shutoff feature kept clicking it off. So, eventually the stations I went to most often just let me fill it myself. (especially the one where the guy laid the nozzle half out of the filler neck and pumped gas all over the ground)
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
The true conspiracy:

My little "Check Engine" light came on. I took it to the dealer.

"Oh dear, the Oxygen sensor is bad. $300 please."

@$#@$@#. I pay for that and some brake work. Apparently they read break work. I get into the car to leave the service center after the work is done, and another little light comes on. Now its time to change me oil. Coincidence, or did someone reset the computer wrong?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

This is the real Check Engine Light Conspiracy. It happens way too often.

Get a different mechanic.

This happens all the time with incompetent mechanics. Look at the list of things that could be wrong with your engine that will cause the check engine light to come on (from my post above), especially vacuum leaks, which can be very difficult to track down.

Now remember, that's just the stuff that can cause the light to come on that will trigger an O2 sensor code. Your mechanic looked up the code that said "O2 sensor" and stopped there. He doesn't realize that O2 sensors rarely go bad, but they often indicate that the combustion process isn't happening the way it's supposed to.

So (sorry to say it this way) you replaced an O2 sensor that didn't need replacing, and there is still something wrong with your car. It could be the gas cap is loose. We've covered that here, and it really does happen. But it could also be one of the other things I listed above. You could go back to your mechanic and try to get him to actually go through the troubleshooting process, but I doubt he'll give you a refund on the price of your sensor, even if he finds the real problem. (He should, but getting him to do it will be a bear)

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

The oil change light is probably just on an odometer timer. They won't reset it unless they change your oil.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
But you can reset it yourself, if you're not blindly following the oil company convention of every 3000 miles.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Sometimes the instructions to reset the change oil light are in the owner's manual, and sometimes they aren't.

BTW, if you are implying that the "oil company convention of every 3000 miles" is just a scam to get you to change oil more often. Sorry. I can give you dozens of cases of first hand experience where oil that was changed at 7000 miles was WAY too long to wait. Mazda 323's used to snap the camshaft if the oil degraded too far. It meant repacing the cylinder head. Mazda's original service recommendation was "not more than 7500 miles," which caused a lot of warrantee work. But customers who'd let it go 8000 miles had to pay for it themselves.

Once that started happening, I started to really notice the changes in oil quality that happen after 3000 miles. It really is significant.

advice for robots
Member # 2544

How hard is it to clean out an EGR valve, and does that help?
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on driving conditions, you could probably go past 3000 in many cars. And with synthetics, you can usually go to 10,000, though most car companies in the past have not recommended that.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:

I suspected, but wasn't sure. You are adorable! [Kiss]
Thank you.......I think.....
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
My check engine light has come on and gone off intermittently for more than a year. I took it to autozone, and they said that their thing that checks the computer was too new for my car, or my car was too old for it or something. (My car is a 94 Escort.) So I checked all the fluids (or rather my boyfriend did). Still goes on and off. So then my car started giving off a foul-smelling smoke, so I took it to a mechanic for that, and I asked them to look into the check-engine light, where they said that they couldn't diagnose THAT unless it was on, and it's never stayed on more than like two or three minutes, and only then if I happen to be driving like eighty in the middle of the night.

I have resigned myself to not-knowing.

Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

you drive eighty in the middle of the night???
[No No]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.