FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I think I've found the key to human development...

Author Topic: I think I've found the key to human development...
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
...and it's illness.

Whenever Sophie gets sick, she always leaps through major milestones immediately thereafter. She's had a croupy-sounding cough and a high fever for the last two days, which has left her lethargic and cranky. So we broke down and gave her some Tylenol a few hours ago.

Since then, she's played and sung along with the piano, stacked three blocks, said her first word ("Kaboom!" Seriously. Don't ask.), and -- most impressively -- walked three steps.

So I think it's something about the bacteria....

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
said her first word ("Kaboom!" Seriously. Don't ask.)

[ROFL] [Laugh]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever Christy would stack blocks with Sophie and the blocks would fall down, Christy would exclaim "Kaboom!" Sophie has now taken to stacking blocks -- or letting me stack them -- and then whacking them with a mean backhand, tossing them across the room with a clatter. And afterwards, she claps gleefully and says "Kaboom!"

Although she accents the wrong syllable; it comes out "KAH-boom" rather than "ka-BOOM." But that just makes it cuter. *laugh*

She's been signing for milk, food, and drink for a while now. (The sign for milk also means "Mommy, pay attention to me!")

Other words she's been working on include:
Duck ("Dud-kuh")
Book ("Buk") (coupled with holding a book up for reading)
Kiss ("Mmmuh") (the sound of kissing)

("Ma-ma" and "da-da" have been around for a while, but I can't count those since "ma-ma" also means "I need something" and "da-da" means "that's interesting.")

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eyetell
Member # 8229

- posted      Profile for eyetell   Email eyetell         Edit/Delete Post 
That may be truer then you think. Just think about it, in order for man to fix a polluted city, they must have an epidemic and find a vaccine. We must go through trials to mature, and many other things. Y can't the inner parts of our body be the same?
Posts: 46 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. I almost never got sick when I was growing up, and....

Um....

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Superstation has only two words at this point. "A-da" (possibly an attempt at "all done"), which basically means "verb," and "Da-da," which means "noun." Highly nuanced words, it seems, since Mama and I usually know exactly what he means.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Um...you've made up for it ever since?
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eyetell
Member # 8229

wow....
Posts: 46 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eyetell
Member # 8229

wow....
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's not the illness.

Maybe it's the Tylenol.

<goes off to dose kid with enough Tylenol to ensure a merit scholarship>

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

KABOOM!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was little, if one of us got sick, mom made sure we all caught it together. Now I know why. She wanted us to be equally smart. And all this time I thought she just assumed we'd catch it anyway and it was easier to have us all sick at the same time.

Thanks for the theory Tom. It actually might have some merit. Especially if a fever is involved.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, Bob? How did she manage to get you all sick? I mean, it usually happens anyway, but that is some trick.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Well, shoot, you shove all the kids in the same bed and yell at them to NOT cover their mouths when they cough. Worked like a charm.

[Wink]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

And if that didn't work, she'd have us swap blood or bite each other.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I might be misremembering this. I had a fever at the time.
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
This reminds me of a very funny encounter I recently had with my advisor's two-year-old (hereafter: Boy Genius).

Boy Genius seemed to be very fond of saying "Honey ducky ducky ducky ducky ducky..." etc. I asked his mom (my advisor's wife) why he was saying that, and she replied that Boy Genius is a big fan of Winnie the Pooh. Instead of saying "Hundred Acre Wood," he's taken to saying "Honey Ducky Wood."

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard stories about way back when, when one kids got chicken pox, they sent all the kids in the neighborhood over to his house to play.

I don't think they encouraged biting or fluid swapping though.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Biting and fluid swapping was encouraged where we lived. [Dont Know]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Boy do I wish I could find the OOC thread, quid.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Friends STILL call friends when their child has chicken pox and they know their friend's child hasn't yet . . . *grin*
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I tried that. A friend brought over her poxy sons, had them drink from my kids cups, roll in their beds, and when one had a poopy go down his leg she showered him and rubbed him down with every one of my towels. And not one of my kids got it. They are waiting until it's least convenient.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I had it twice! [Mad]

Has anyone ELSE seen the South Park episode about that particular parental idea regarding chicken pox?

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.