FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Tell me something I DON'T know (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tell me something I DON'T know
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll start and tell you something that I'll bet you don't know, but that I found out today.

If you are in the bathroom and need to wash your hands, but there is no soap, you can wash your hands with toothpaste. (my hands are minty-fresh!)

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Flavour-changing neutral currents do not exist at tree level in the Standard Model, but may be imitated by one-loop penguin diagrams. The existence of penguins was confirmed at BaBar in 1995.

*Nods*

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a capricorn.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Gee. I didn't know that!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kayla:
I'm a capricorn.

I'm not.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Who knew?
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I wear fairly thick glasses.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
The rations of Ghengis Khan's army often included yogurt.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Putting lime juice and black recado on raw chicken makes it turn purple-black...and yummy!
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
We are all spirit children of God, greatly beloved, and as such we each have a divine nature, unlimited potential, and are of infinite worth.

I just found out yesterday that every object is precious to Him as well, similar to the way that your favorite tree you used to climb as a child is precious to you, for instance, or maybe some trifle given to you by the one you love, which appears to the unknowing eye to be some inconsidered nothing, but is actually one of the keys of the universe, precious beyond jewels, do you know what I mean? Look around you. Every single object is beloved by Him in that same way only much much more so. It sort of made me look at the world with new eyes to realize that.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
The Ravenous Bug Blatter Beast of Traal thinks that if you can't see it, it can't see you. And I can go for weeks quoting only Douglas Adams.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
The way to catch a heffalump is to dig a hole where it's standing, but before it gets there.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
The human body can be drained of blood in 8.6 seconds given adequate vacuuming systems.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
When a wheelchair goes out of control and rolls down a hill into a ditch full of water, face down, don't let go of the wheelchair YOU are holding so you can go help.

This might seem self-evident, but I learned today it is not.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Gosh! The things I didn't know.

I'm so glad that I have an inadequate vacuum system.

I don't even know what a black recado is, but if I ever get one, I'll try feeding it to the heffalump I just caught.

SteveR, why do you think that I don't know Douglas Adams?

Do you think the Khan Army started out carrying rations of milk, and it just kind of turned to yogurt on the long march?

And Megan, I wear thick glasses, too, when I'm not wearing my contact lenses.

And I hadn't thought about every object being precious -- I was just getting my trash together to take to the curb, and I wonder if I should be feeling unappreciative.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Eaquae Legit, I actually did already know that about the wheelchair, but it sounds like an interested story. Care to share?
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, second hand, but I work with these folks so it's actually a bit better than second-hand.

Group from my support centre goes on an outing to an amusment park. Fairly large group, some in wheelchairs they can't push themselves, several with behavioural issues. One chair soemhow gets loose and rolls down a hill, splat, facedown in a ditch of water. The staff pushing another client's chair rushes to help, forgetting that gravity is a ahrd habit to break. THAT chairs goes rolling down the hill, splat, facedown in a ditch of water. Client #3 has a major meltdown in all the excitement, and needs to be restrained facedown on the grass all covered in goose crap. Client #4 starts running around and yelling. All par for the course as far as this place goes, except a concerned bystander calls 911. Those poor cops went first to the client in restraint, then to the one who is still running around and yelling a bit, and finally get directed to the guys in the ditch, who by now have been righted. Everyone makes the evening news.

But the part that gets me is I know these people, and these situations, and it doesn't seem very far-fetched at all. But at least I could tell you a story you didn't know before.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Well! That is good to know! Sounds like quite a wild ride. Less of an amusement park trip and more like an abusement park trip.
Lara
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for Lara   Email Lara         Edit/Delete Post 
alluvion's sister used to be my boss
Posts: 377 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

The staff have been on story-telling mode recently, and that is actually the least disturbing of them. For example, no one was naked, biting the tops off toothbrushes, or throwing barbeques around. [Big Grin]
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I apparently have a wallet that is both sentient and motile.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

[Eek!]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

And it talks! Don't forget that important detail.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Your wallet is WHAT?!!

Could it be that you have a trained rat in your pocket -- a Rhodent Scholar?

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

And, oh yes, EqL, Mazel Tov on just reaching your 1000th post!

I salute you [Hat]

Parsimony
Member # 8140

Since you asked, it wasn't milk that turned into yogurt. They carried yogurt because there was leftover product when they made cheese. This leftover they turned into yogurt. [Smile]

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I didn't know that.
Parsimony
Member # 8140

For another thing you may not have known: The oldest sport in history is polo.

--ApostleRadio

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I'd have figured hiking.
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
what's the wager?
Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lara
Member # 132

hiking is a sport?
Posts: 377 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

I don't think hiking is a sport. Nobody wins.
alluvion
Member # 7462

golfing takes balls?
Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Well, they sell the gear for it at the sporting goods store, so, yeah, it counts as a sport.
Parsimony
Member # 8140

Speaking of sports: In tonight's intermural softball game, I was 7 for 7 with 12 rbi's and 6 runs scored. I bet you didn't know that!

--ApostleRadio

Lara
Member # 132

They sell tents, too, but I wouldn't call backpacking a sport.
alluvion
Member # 7462

What the pro-shop needs is a ball-finder. It'd sell like hotcakes and cut-short all those hikes into the rough.
Parsimony
Member # 8140

THe definition of sport: An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

I don't think hiking qualifies.

--ApostleRadio

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Well, you're right about that, I didn't know that you played intermural softball.
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

The sound a pygmy goat makes is eerily like a baby crying.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

So, is mountain climbing a sport?

Physical exertion (yup)
Skill (uh huh)
Rules or customs (I suppose)
Competetive (yeah)

And hiking is mountain climbing with the mountain being optional.

It is more of a sport than NASCAR, in my opinion.

Parsimony
Member # 8140

Currently, I would consider competitive mountain climbing a sport. However, 4000 years ago were people racing up mountains? I can't say for certain, but I would imagine not. They were too busy looking for food. [Smile]

--ApostleRadio

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

And EqL, babies are remarkable in their accuracy in imitating the call of the pygmy goat. [Wink]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Parsimony:
4000 years ago were people racing up mountains? I can't say for certain, but I would imagine not. They were too busy looking for food.
--ApostleRadio

And playing polo? [Smile]
alluvion
Member # 7462

Is a pygmy goat short of status by physical size or by the label pygmy?
Lara
Member # 132

If physical exertion is a prereq, why does ESPN air poker live?
Parsimony
Member # 8140

They played polo in persia and india as training for warriors. [Smile]

--apostleradio

Parsimony
Member # 8140

ESPN airs poker because it gets ratings, and ratings brings money.

Fine, a less contentious sports fact: Max Schmelling, the German heavyweight who boxed Joe Louis before WWII, fell out of favor with Hitler for hiding Jews in his home to keep them out of concentration camps.

--ApostleRadio

alluvion
Member # 7462

polo?! are you mad?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.