FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » nous sommes les champignons

Author Topic: nous sommes les champignons
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I know.

At my son's 8th Grade graduation ceremony, there was a slideshow presentation. In the part where they extolled the class's prowess in various teams, the background music was (of course) "We Are the Champions", and at one point, the phrase was up on the screen translated into various languages.

What other interesting mistranslations have you come across.

And if you could be any kind of mushroom, which would you be?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:

And if you could be any kind of mushroom, which would you be?

Magic. [Wink]
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm... champignons. I'm ready for lunch.

I was reading some missionary stories from France and came across a list of common translation errors that English-speaking missionaries make. Some are mistakes in pronunciation, such as rendering aliments (food) as allemands (Germans). Others are mistakes made by using false cognates - apparently, several missionaries have tried to translate to bless as blesser, rather than benir. Blesser is a French verb, but means "to wound or injure." Thus, some poor missionary intending to pray for a blessing on a meal instead asked God to please blessez ces allemands - "Please wound these Germans."

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite is "soutien-gorge."
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, we are the mushrooms! I love it!

I remember in French class once, a kid was trying to say "Pour le petit-dejeuner, je prend du pain," (for breakfast, I have some bread) but accidentally ended up with "je prend deux lapins" (I have two rabbits).

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite sign in Sri Lanka - Chainees Restaurant. Okay, not what you're talking about, but still.

What kind of food is Chainees, exactly? Steel chains? Iron chains? Chains of dandelions or marigolds?

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

There are a few like that in Israel, too... it's so much fun, I love it!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Annie:
Thus, some poor missionary intending to pray for a blessing on a meal instead asked God to please blessez ces allemands - "Please wound these Germans."

Annie- You must have been reading about one of my companions- she was new and we were at a dinner appointment with some members who happened to be German. She prayed to "blessez ces allemands"

I was horiffied but fortunately, they were used to missionary mistakes so they took it in stride. We laughed about it often.

The other mistake she made the same day.. after the meal she pats her stomach and says "Je suis plein!" (I'm pregnant).

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
What about the classic "Je suis un Berliner"?

In my french class in sixth grade we were asked what we wanted to be when we grew up, but a friend of mine mis-understood the question, and answered "my cousin". She thought it had been "who do you know who is thirty?"

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

(psst... Les Berliners parlent allemand, en general. [Wink] )
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

We were having breakfast in Mexico, and my friend Jeni, who spoke no Spanish at all, yelled down the table to me, asking how you say fried egg in Spanish. I was glad to answer her, but I had heard Friday, so I said "Viernes!"

She ordered a Viernes, to the confusion of the poor waitress. When we got our food, Jeni looked at her plate of scrambled eggs and beans and said "this isn't what I wanted!" It was, however, the dish they had had on special last Friday, and I was impressed.

Annie
Member # 295

quote:
she was new and we were at a dinner appointment with some members who happened to be German.
[ROFL] That makes it even better!
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Chainees Restaurant
quid, I think that means they specialize in serving chain gangs.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Ich bin parisien!
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
This tread is fun ! I laugh about "Blesser les Allemands" ! [ROFL]
But i don't remember some equal sentenses In my school period... sorry.

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grisha
Member # 6871

- posted      Profile for Grisha   Email Grisha         Edit/Delete Post 
Raia, are you sure he did not just happen to have two rabbits for breakfast?
Posts: 376 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight we has Soup Deux Jour. I made it two days ago. [Wink]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

I'm pretty sure. [Razz]
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone ever chewed on a block - like a block of wood, or worse, a piece of concrete?

is there a french translation? "chewing a bit of the pavement" or something like that?

Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.