FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Oh man. I'm kind of nervous...

Author Topic: Oh man. I'm kind of nervous...
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so I just got this job at the Harkins Theatre in Bricktown; Friday was my first day on the job.

Well, at orientation we were only told to show up Friday at 5:30 and nothing else. So I did and worked and all.

Well at the end, all the new people asked when we were supposed to be in tomorrow and stuff. The manager said that we weren't actually on the schedule yet (it was released before we were hired), but we could call if we wanted the hours.

Well, my girlfriend just got back from a one week missions trip and was only going to be here Saturday before leaving on a vacation to Florida with her dad. Now, if I had been scheduled hours I would have done it, but since I wasn't on the schedule (and was given the impression that I didn't actually have to work unless I wanted to) I figured I'd just take the day off and spend it with her.

So I did. She needed to pack, though, so I had to leave early, and I was planning on calling and going to work, but by the time I got home and ate dinner and my clothes were dry, it was already 7:00 (and I wasn't really in the happiest of states) and I figured I would just stay home for the day. Go in tomorrow.

Well, then I was looking through my caller ID just now and noticed the theatre had called at 2:07 pm. No one was home...

So now I'm expecting to call tomorrow and go into work and be asked where I was Saturday...

*groan*

Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't worry, all you have to do is tell them what was said in the meeting.

They probably were looking for extra help, that's all. If not it is their fault, not yours.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
The other possibility is that "call for hours" may have been the manager's way of making sure that the people that went through orientation actually wanted the job.

Grocery stores here are notorious for doing that. Yes, they set the work schedule far enough in advance where they don't have room on the orientation week's active schedule to put new hires in (unless someone calls off sick or something), but the new hires aren't added to future schedules unless they've followed up after orientation and made that telephone call.

The call yesterday probably was a "someone called in sick, can you come in" kind of situation. I would call today and talk to the manager, explain that you had a prior engagement for yesterday that had made you unavailable (you don't need to get into detail about what was going on) and let him know that you're excited about working for the theater and you didn't want to give the impression that you were blowing him off yesterday. Then let him tell you what hours he has available

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I called today and asked if they had any hours and they said no, not at the moment.

But they'll call..

So... :-\

Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Good news: "You've got the job!"
Bad news: "There's no work for you."

Huh?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.