FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hobbes writes back (the continuing saga of Hobbes overreacting)

Author Topic: Hobbes writes back (the continuing saga of Hobbes overreacting)
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm starting a new thread because I know I'm going to think that this is a really stupid idea in the morning and delete it, but right now enough of me thinks it's a good idea I'm going to do it anyways.

I've been having a rather heated conversation with a friend from Purdue, a preacher who took a few classes with me. Tonight he sent me what I can only describe as the climax of our conversation, it was rife with condemnations of my Church, myself, and what I am doing. I realize it's beyond tacky to post what he wrote, but I'm hoping it's just tacky enough to post my response (names removed of course). Since this is undoubtedly therapy for me, feel free to tell me I'm a jerk and should remove this. I will, and really anyone else reading it will probably do it for me. I just need to let out some unexpected steam (I'm not used to being angry).

quote:
I respect you -----, I respect you as a person, as a thinker, and as a child of God, undoubtedly our most important, shared characteristic. I’ve been responding to your e-mails for that exact reason, I respect and care about you. Because as much as I could pretend that I didn’t care what you think of me or what I am or will do, it does matter, and I was hoping that you would be able to see that I am doing what I think is best; not what others have told me.

You asked about my background? I was not born into the Mormon Church, nor any other Church. I was raised as an agnostic, I thought like an atheist, and I had nothing to do with religion until two years ago. It was one and a half years ago that I took Christ at his offer to be baptized in His name, having faith in Him, that He could save me, and that no other could.

I was not a drug-dealer, I didn’t engage in gambling, sexual-relations, or any sort of illegal or significantly immoral act. Yet by receiving baptism, and through reading scriptures, and through thought, reflection, and prayer, I certainly learned of my own unworthiness, my despicable condition. I know that my past will condemn me, just as I know that my soul is clean through the redemption of my Savior, Christ. All that I can accomplish through eternity, and all glory that I will ever receive will not be because of any supposed perfection on my part, but because of the Love, and the sacrifice of our Lord. I claim no perfection, no better hand in life. Nor do I claim superior morals or consciousness.

You’re accusation of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Days Saints promoting, in any way, self-centered, or egotistical behavior shows that, to my regret, I have failed to communicate to you what it is I’ve been focusing on. Yes, I very clearly remember the incident you speak of, I remember it because I spent a month repenting of it, feeling sorrow over it. I have no sinless heart, no overbearing cleanliness from my beliefs, if anything my knowledge of the gospel of Christ condemns my actions that day! I should’ve known better, I had the knowledge, it was only my own weakness, my inability to follow Christ’s path that let it happen. Do not think, though, that my weakness was anything but a diversion from the path that my Church has led me on.

The LDS Church is not about superiority, nor about condemnation. The time spent in meetings, in testifying, in study is not about our dominance of doctrine nor our lofty learning, nor any condition that would bring anything but humility before God, repentance of our sins, and an ever strengthen knowledge of our Savior Christ. When I am led to that great judgment bar I will bow down and acknowledge Christ, no other name! Should I be asked if I believe in the Christ taught in the Bible I will answer from the deep recesses of my heart, a resounding YES!

When I am told that justice demands torment, hell, and spiritual death, as I have been a sinner from birth to the end, I will proclaim, once again, the truth of such a statement! I am a sinner! I do deserve the whip of God to fall on my back, and yet, I expect no such thrashing! My confidence of such an audacious assurance comes solely through my faith in the saving power, and the unending Love, of my Lord. The Book of Mormon makes more references to Grace than all the Bible, and each one I declare to be true. Works shall save none but Christ Himself, and all other are to be condemned by them, me as much as any.

So where is the un-Christian thought in this? I believe in the wrong Christ you say? I confess Christ, and when I lay my eyes upon Him, I will confess His name again, no other. Perhaps, to you, I have chosen unwisely, but I feel bathed in the confidence of the Lord that I shall be cleansed through my faith in Christ as I know Him.

We each felt moved by the Lord, we each felt to be tools in His hand, and yet now, here we are, opposed, in conflict, in tension. Clearly, whichever one of us is right about our errand, he is not performing his task properly, and just as clearly each of us thinks we are that person. Well I will take this step along with you: I say that I am no healer, nor am I a Prophet, nor anything more than a boy. The knowledge I have gained, I have gained through study, through thought, and above all, through the Holy Spirit of God. I declare that Christ is the one, true physician, and that we each need His loving touch on our souls. I can bring no solace through anything I do, save to tell you, that I know Jesus is the Christ, that He Loves both of us, and that for each of us He wept, suffered and died. I know, that after death comes new life, so it did to the Savior, so He will allow for each of us a place in eternity, and for me, I know, Christ prepares no place for His children save He could not prepare a better one, as His Love is not limited by our sins.

When I began writing this, I admit to anger and frustration. I felt as though I could not communicate properly. But I began with a prayer and I felt calmed as I wrote. No. I felt the anger leave and the fire of God enter in. I do not expect you to believe as I do, nor to think as I do. I do not expect you to lay down your objections and meet my decisions and my life with open arms and rejoicing. In fact, I request nothing, I will leave to do God’s will as I know it, and though I wished to go with your understanding, if you can not give me that, then give me, as you have before, your blessing as a fellow Christian.

I do wish blessings for you, -----, may God grant all that is best in your life.

Hobbes [Smile]
Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, the part about the anger leaving me? It's true, it did, and right now it's not so much anger as ... unrest, uneasiness. The inability to deal with this properly threw me off-kilter.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes, if I wasn't already in love with my wonderful husband, I might have a teeny bit of a crush on you. [Kiss]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
((Hobbes))

I hope he can see how much you love and respect him to have written a letter like that.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes, I very clearly remember the incident you speak of, I remember it because I spent a month repenting of it, feeling sorrow over it. I have no sinless heart, no overbearing cleanliness from my beliefs, if anything my knowledge of the gospel of Christ condemns my actions that day! I should’ve known better, I had the knowledge, it was only my own weakness, my inability to follow Christ’s path that let it happen. Do not think, though, that my weakness was anything but a diversion from the path that my Church has led me on.
I think this paragraph is a lovely one and should serve to reassure your friend that you are neither evil or being lead astray by an evil church. [Smile]

From a non-religous point of view, I would think that toning down the hyperbole of some of the rest of the paragraphs might make your friend accept what you are saying more readily. I fully understand you write that way because you believe 100% in what you are saying and are enthused and happy about it but to those of us who do not share that belief it could seem a little overdone.

Like, "I'll show you who's the humblest of them all. I humble so much no-one else is even close to my humbliness".

But I know that's not what you mean or intend, so it's really not an issue. Just something that struck me reading it.

And I know humbliness isn't a word. I like it though. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes, I wrote in your other thread that I hoped you could answer him with calm but strong words.

This was beautifully done.

I hope he listens. We haven't really had to read through his e-mails to you (thanks for sparing us that), but I suspect that he has a bit to learn about listening to others and how to discuss religious viewpoints.

Sadly, he'll probably focus on why you capitalized the word "Prophet."

At least you tried.

Good job!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a true-believer, Hobbes, but your letter makes me want to be. You are well and truly a wonderful human being. If your friend can't find some common ground from that missive then he is missing what he obviously thinks you are throwing away. Wishing you the best in your attempt to heal the rift with your friend.

[ June 27, 2005, 07:49 AM: Message edited by: punwit ]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
Well done, Hobbes. Your love for and faith in Christ shines clearly through your words. If that does not convince your friend, it is probably because his heart and mind are closed and there isn't much you can do about it, except pray for him.
Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes. Let me just say that you're going to be an awesome missionary. It took me a year and a half to learn the lessons that you speak of in this letter.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Why couldn't you have been born earlier, so I could have gone tracting with you? [Smile] That was awesome, Hobbes!
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
So well done, Hobbes. I can't imagine it being done any better. Now my only hope is you can let it go, leave it behind. You have said everything that is possible to say, so be satisfied with that and move on to concentrating on your bright future.
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too, buddy... I'm proud of you.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
[Hat] Hobbes

Well done.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Why couldn't you have been born earlier, so I could have gone tracting with you?"

Nothing's stopping you and Hobbes from freelance tracting on your own time. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes, I think it's wonderful. I'm so proud. You have done well.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes, if I wasn't already in love with my wonderful wife, I might have a teeny bit of a crush on you. [Kiss]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes, that was awesome! You are so admirable! You're truly going to be a wonderful missionary. Your friend has inadvertantly given you the perfect prepatory lesson in resisting the spirit of contention and reaching out in love toward all. Now that you've overcome this challenge, strangers can never daunt you, nor goad you to anger. So there's another thing for which you can be thankful towards your friend.

I do admire you so much!

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Now that you've overcome this challenge, strangers can never daunt you, nor goad you to anger."

Strangers might not be able to, but ten bucks says I could goad Hobbes to anger. [Wink]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second Geoff's wish--I wish I'd served with you.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

You know, that raises an interesting question: once they're done with their official missions, do Mormons ever go out on missions on their own?
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
No. At least, not that I know. I guess the church likes to have a coordinated effort instead of a bunch of freelancers.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
We can be called as "Ward Missionaries" and do regular direct missionary work within our ward boundaries, including working with the full-time missionaries in the area.

Plus, we are always challenged to continue being "member missionaries," that is, proactive about introducing the church and its teachings to those around us.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's what Taalcon's calling is right now - ward missionary. Or, as I like to call it, Elder Buddy. They go to appointments and might go tracting, I think.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Plus, they encourage retirees to serve missions together as a couple. Single sister retirees or widows also sometimes serve in teams. Usually those are not proselytizing missions, but instead are making use of their expertise in various fields for humanitarian missions, perhaps, (clean water projects, for instance) or else to help establish new wards and branches in places where there are few members with much experience in the church. Senior missionaries might be called to work in a temple, or to establish a family history program, or teach food storage and preservation, or serve in a ward library, or almost any other calling in the church, as far as I know.

I've never heard of any single brother retirement aged missionaries, though I suppose it could happen.

There are lifelong missionary opportunities in the church. I hope to serve someday myself when it's financially possible.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

Hobbes Rocks the Socks.

I may not have talked to you one-on-one much, man, but I've respected you and enjoyed your presence here pretty much from the beginning.

I'm glad I had the chance to meet you at WC2.

You'll be fantabulous missionary, Elder Tiger.

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattB
Member # 1116

- posted      Profile for MattB   Email MattB         Edit/Delete Post 
Well done, Hobbes. I admire your testimony.
Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes, you amaze me. To write such an clear, insightful, and calm reply to someone who (it seems) has been extremely unsupportive of your religion is remarkable for someone of any age, but truly astounding in someone so young. Religious discussions can so easily become heated, even among people with the best intentions, that people forget themselves and go off on hurtful tirades. It's wonderful that you didn't do this.

This makes me miss you even more.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.