FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bob did you find your coffee maker yet? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Bob did you find your coffee maker yet?
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
don't know how much longer I can take this. If I had a car, I'd drive out and unpack your house while you were working.
We can loan you a car.

quote:
You are a coffee snob!
Hello, my name is Bob. I'm a coffee snob.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, don't think I'm not serious.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
The car is being shipped to you as I write this.

Will you do the whole house or just quit once you've located a coffee maker?

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

The whole house. Do you think that once I started, I could stop?
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Oh yeah, I forgot. Cool.

[Big Grin]

Kayla
Member # 2403

Seriously, I wish tomorrow were Saturday and then you could come down and have a burger, pick me up and I could unpack your house.

You'd think they'd have a pill for this.

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
The unpacking is mostly limited by the "figuring out where the heck to put everything" process. And the "I'm not unpacking the dishes until I scrape and re-paint the shelves in the dining room" delay.

And if mom & dad weren't coming down this weekend, we would totally be at your place for burgers on Saturday.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

<-- can also paint and scrape.

quote:
The unpacking is mostly limited by the "figuring out where the heck to put everything" process
Which is why you need someone like me around to get rid of Bob's junk. I mean, someone to make executive decisions about what's necessary and what's being called home by the junkyard.

I once spent a week putting 5 years worth of my ex sister-in-laws bills in alphabetical and chronological order. She brought over 6 boxes and I returned one filing cabinet that was labeled and organized.

The way I figure it, if it doesn't fit, you must evict.

But, keep me in mind for future renovations. I love doing it. Ask punwit. He saw my work. [Wink]

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, be an equal opportunity declutterer! Get rid of Dana's junk, too!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Truly, it is mostly my junk. Since this is Bob's fourth move in less than two years he's done a pretty good job of whittling his down. I was doing pretty good, but then we got too close to the moving deadline and entered the "throw it in a box and sort it out later" phase.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Oh, I'll declutter anyone, but in my house, it's the men who feel the need to bring stuff home from the junkyard instead of drop it off.

And Bob does have 5 coffee makers. It only stands to reason he has too much stuff.

And Bob, at first I didn't think you were necessarily a coffee snob. I thought you were an addict. But the fact that you haven't gone out and bought a temporary replacement coffee pot has me questioning that.

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Now, now. You're married now. It's all BOTH of your junk!

*snickers*

*runs away*

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I have refrained from purchasing a new coffee maker for the following truly excellent reasons:

1) The one I really want to use is all broken-in and a new version of that would take awhile to get up to snuff.

2) I no longer live in an area with a large population of Cuban people. So, the only places I've seen the equivalent coffee maker is in high-priced chef supply stores and the makers are from Italy. They are the same thing, but cost MUCH MUCH more.

3) dkw promised days ago that she would find at least one of my coffee makers and thus there is no need for me to purchase a new one. She has not exactly nixed the new purchase, but she has (rightly) pointed out that eventually I will have all 5 of mine at my disposal, so the cost of a new one just seems extravagant.

4) The only other source I can think of (perhaps) for a replacement coffee maker to the one I really want is Wal-Mart, and I am trying very hard not to go in that store. I may break down eventually, but for now, the thought of giving them more of my money is sufficient deterrent. (note that I bought the original at the WalMart in Kissimmee, FL, so I'm thinking maybe they have it the WalMart here, even though the last Cuban through here was Ricky Ricardo back in 1958.)

Kayla
Member # 2403

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=coffee&search_constraint=0&ics=20&ico=0&ref=+125874.183560

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/6300987523/103-9809771-7406220?v=glance

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Well...none of those coffee makers is the one. But that Ruggles of Red Gap is awfully tempting!
KrabbyPatty
Member # 7055

- posted      Profile for KrabbyPatty   Email KrabbyPatty         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And if mom & dad weren't coming down this weekend, we would totally be at your place for burgers on Saturday.
What - we can't have burgers???
Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Not at Kayla's you can't!

You'll be here...working...

Bwah ha ha ha hahahahahahaha!
[Evil Laugh]

dkw
Member # 3264

Didn't think you'd want to add an extra 8 hour round trip to your weekend.
Kayla
Member # 2403

See, bring them down with you. You deserve a break.

Then bring me back and I'll do the work they were going to do.

I know I've scared you with all the big talk, but I take direction well and am as meek as a church mouse, if not meeker. [Wink]

dkw
Member # 3264

The expresso/cappacino machine and the french press have been discovered!

The perky-whosits and the cuban thingee are still in hiding, but we expect to find them yet today. Bob is happy enough with what we've uncovered to break out the grinder and use the "good stuff," which he says is wasted on anything with a paper filter.

In other news, the spaetzel maker and the terra-cotta garlic baker were in the box with the coffee equipment, so I'm happy too.

[Party]

Kayla
Member # 2403

[The Wave]

I'm so relieved. One less thing to worry about.

Have fun scraping and painting.

Kayla
Member # 2403

How was your coffee this morning? Did the other pots get found yesterday?
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Ah bliss. Real coffee. And this wasn't even the good stuff. I used the Folgers Dark Roast, but I made it in my Espresso machine. It was sooooo good.

Can't wait for my other coffee pot to show up. But even this was fantabulous.

Thanks for asking!

(I gave Posable_Nurse some coffee made in the French Press. I think it was either a tad too strong, or it's just different enough. He said it was "okay." Oh well. He usually has to have instant coffee, so I don't feel so bad.)

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I must express(no pun intended initially) disappointment with my coffee press. No matter what I do, the coffee is muddy.

Anyone? Help?

And it is never as hot as I imagined it would and should be.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Perhaps you're using too fine a grind?

The instructions on my French Press say to use a medium grind or the bits will come through the press and get into the coffee. Now, I kind of like that, but I can see how it'd annoy a person who likes a nice smooth liquid.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I don't mind a little mud at the bottom.

The truth is, I need a grinder. I have been trying to avoid this purchase, due to the tenets of my anti-clutter campaign. However, even the largest grind of the store coffee grinders is too small, I think.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Hmm...

A home grinder may not do it for you. Most of them work on the principle of "more time = finer grind." What that means is that you're hitting an average size of the grind for any given amount of time.

Maybe a manual grinder would work for you? Or...

I hate to say it, but you could buy Melitta filters to go inside your French Press to filter out all but the finest particles.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Oh, but Bob! That would slow down the process, leaving more time for the coffee to lose its Dunkin Donuts' scalding hotness I am going for but can never seem to achieve.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Hmm, what if I tried the food processor? I tried it once, before French press days, when I was desperate one morning. All I had was coffee beans, and no way to grind them. I could not get the grounds fine enough no matter how long I left it in, but maybe that would be good for the press.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Hmm...possible. The only thing it might hurt is the flavor of other foods you put through the processor later. But if you don't mind cleaning the thing after every grind, I suppose it'd be okay.
Kayla
Member # 2403

Elizabeth, do you have a microwave? Have you ever tried putting it in there for 30 seconds or so? That would make it hot.

How hot does Dunkin Donuts make their coffee? I know when McDonald's got sued for scalding that old lady, their coffee temp was supposed to be 190 degrees. I just wondered what DD's temp was.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I am not sure, Kayla, but it is as hot as McDonald's.

Bob, I think if I ground enough ahead, then ran the processor through the dishwasher, it would be OK.

Kayla again, I am sure the microwave would be fine, but it just seems sacricoffeeligious or something.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
McDonalds makes the foulest coffee in all the land. As a visiting nurse, driving to see my clients, I would sometimes find myself in need of a cup of coffee PRONTO. Stopping at MickeyD's drive-thru was sometimes a necessary sacrifice. But, OY! what a dreadful brew they serve up!

Best part? The dialogue at the drive-thru:

ME: I'd like a medium coffee.
DRIVE-THRU GUY: You want fries with that?
ME: No. Cream and Sugar.
DRIVE-THRU GUY: Can I interest you in our new big burger western supreme smokey pickle [or whatever it's called]
ME: No. Just coffee. And since I'm in the car, could you put the cream and sugar in for me?
DRIVE-THRU GUY: Drive up.

Of course, they won't add the stuff to the coffee. And while I usually appreciate black coffee, theirs really needs the help. So I have to take off the plastic lid, and peel back the foil top to those little cream cups and rip open the sugar, and stir it all up with that tiny plastic dingus. And, I don't know about your car, but mine doesn't have a kitchen counter on which to perform this coffee intervention.

And why would anyone possibly think that someone who is asking for a coffee and THAT'S ALL would be interested in a burger and fries to go with it? It wasn't like I didn't know that the McDonalds establishment carried these items. "Oh! You sell burgers and fries, too? I didn't realize! That sounds like a delightful addition to my rotten coffee. OK! I'll try it!"

Dunkin D makes reliably nice coffee. They will add the cream and sugar if you want (but their coffee doesn't really need it), and if they ask if you want anything to go with it, it is the kind of suggestion that makes sense. Like a donut. I wouldn't dip french fries in my coffee ever.

If they only had as many drive-thru locations to serve the visiting nurse population...

Sorry for the rant. You really set me off by mentioning McDonald's coffee.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread...

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

McDonalds must make coffee from syrup mixed with hot water. It is horrid.

I'm not a huge fan of Dunkin Donuts' coffee, but it'll do if I can't find anything better.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Bob,
Dunkin Donuts coffee has a taste all its own, and I am quite sure has some other addictive additive in it other than caffeine.

I was in Lake Placid this week, and a guy came up to my dad and asked where the Dunkin Donuts was. I said, "You must be from Massachusetts. The nearest Dunkin Donuts is in Plattsburgh."(about 45 minutes away)

I could see him deflate right there.

If Lake Placid was in Massachusetts, there would be a DD at each end of town, and one right on Main Street.

And Tante, just so you know, it is Dunkin Donuts that is the weird one when it comes to putting the cream and sugar in for you. Other places don't really do that as an automatic thing.

My friends from California when they visited:

"I'd like a medium coffee."

"Whaddaya want in ya medium?"

"Um, coffee."

"Whaddaya want in ya medium?? Cream aw sugah?"

[ July 03, 2005, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

tabithecat
Member # 5228

- posted      Profile for tabithecat   Email tabithecat         Edit/Delete Post 
I like my coffee like I like my dates: creamy and sweet
Posts: 122 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
The fruit or the romantic kind?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

tabithecat!!! How are you?

[Big Grin]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.