FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What the crap is a mayfly?

Author Topic: What the crap is a mayfly?
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
I mean, I know it's a bug, but ... when people use it in a thread title, what the crap are they talking about?
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
It means the thread's going to hang around for a bit, then get deleted. Usually when someone needs a quick answer about something.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a thread that's not long for this world, usually because it contains sensitive material or was intended for a single person.

Hey Puppy, do you work with Shaba Games at all? I know they work with Activision in some way, and the name keeps popping up in my animation circles! [Smile]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, never heard of 'em. I was published by Activision once, but that's it.
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, cool. I'm always impressed by how huge the games industry is! [Smile]
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
What is a mayfly?

Try here..

http://mbgnet.mobot.org/fresh/slide/mayfly.htm

Flyfishermen know what mayflies are.

Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
While people have given you the theoretical definition, it seems to me that real mayflies often last longer than serious threads, though they're even more prone to derailing.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on who starts them and why, IMO. Calling your thread a mayfly might be a very strong rhetorical statement.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
We had a firefly in our house a few nights ago. It was bright! It couldn't figure out how to get out again, which is sad, but I sure had fun watching it light up.

Second firefly I've ever seen. [Big Grin]

(Presented for your derailing pleasure.)

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Detroit we call them fishflies.
Swarming day is pretty disgusting... a carpet of bugs on the streets.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't you hear about May 1st? May's flies day?
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Puppy, I believe CT started the mayfky tradition here at Hatrack. She diidn't want people to be posting in threads she was goingto delete, since there had been some concern about that when she deleted her CT threads and switched screen names for a while, about a year back or so.

She figured that calling it a mayfly was a really cool way of letting people know that the thread wasn't going to stay around for more than a day or so...although SOME (a good number, probably about half) of them turned into regular threads upon request.

Still, when you post in a mayfly thread you have been warned that your posts might be deleted at any time.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.