FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ack! I'm out of milk!

Author Topic: Ack! I'm out of milk!
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
And it's still 25 degrees and muggy, and I've just been fencing. I need something to drink, curse it. Why do these dashed colonials insist on putting chlorine in drinking water? (Makes face as he sips)
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
25 and muggy? What are you, an Eskimo?

[Wink]

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
No, he's metric, like all sensible people. [Razz]
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Suck it up.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
He can't, that's the whole point of the thread.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
We colonials, eh?

quote:
All sources require disinfection with chlorine to kill pathogens, including bacteria and viruses.
http://www.dwi.gov.uk/pubs/tap/

[Razz]

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
shouldn't there be some 24 hour supermarket somewhere?
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
The title of this thread seems like the poster should be a nursing mother.

I guess I just have baby on the brain after seeing my beautiful nephew 2 weeks ago!

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't recall ever tasting any obvious clorine in drinking water. I have, however, been in places that had a strong sulfur taste to the water, so I guess it could be worse. [Wink]

By the way, does anyone know what KOM's temp is in Fahrenheit?

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
25 degrees Celsius is ~77 degrees Stupid. But then, it's not the heat, it's the humidity. Right?
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose it is the humididty that's the problem. Seeing as how it's been mid to upper 90's where I live for the past couple weeks, I'm glad KOM seems to be holding on to most of the humidity.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate the taste of chlorine in water. I can taste it from almost any tap. But then, I'm chlorine sensitive. [Frown]

But milk? Ew!!!!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I've lived in a place where certain times of year, they have to put so much chlorine in the water, it tastes like drinking bleach. >_<
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

You've tried bleach?
Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
No, but it smells just like this water tasted.

I also lived at a complex where I think their idea of "maintaining the pool" was dumping a gallon of bleach in every few days.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

EEW!

I was just remembering the scene from th movie about Nadia (I'm not even going to ATTEMPT the last name) when she accidentally (?) drinks a cup of bleach (I think) and winds up in the hospital.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Drinking milk is definitely better than drinking bleach.

However...
You know you spend too much time on Hatrack when you go to the 'fridge for some milk, see that you are all out, and the only thing you can think to do about it is to post a new thread on the forum. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
While I can sympathize with KoM about his lack of milk I'm a bit squicked by the thought of downing that beverage when hot and thirsty. In my experience, under those circumstances, milk gets thick and cloggy in my mouth. I think I'd prefer our chlorinated water.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
My housemate moved out of our house yesterday and took all my food with her. I didn't discover what she had done until this morning.

I have no food. I may starve.

[ June 28, 2005, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: Bella Bee ]

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Got Milk?
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Supermarkets open late, yes. Car, no. Desire to walk, no. And as for the UK link, I'm from Norway, where we drink sparkling fresh glacier-melt, straight from the mountains.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
You can whine about it being hot while fencing once you hit at least 75% humidity with temps in the mid 90s Farenheit.

The gym this weekend reached 100% humidity I think. I mean, you could see the mist up in the ceiling. The temperature outside was a nice 99 degrees F. Inside, it might've been a couple degress less.

[Razz]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

KoM: you'll be happy to know you chlorinate your water in many parts of Norway, too. In fact, that makes you guys a prime place to do studies on the effects of chlorination (along with your expansive health records).

And we could never be construed as Norway's colonials [Razz]

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And we could never be construed as Norway's colonials
You don't live in Montana, do you? In some towns, there are two buildings; the grain elevator and the meeting hall for the Sons of Norway.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

We being a collective noun -- the percentage of US people of Norwegian colonial descent is quite small.

[Razz]

King of Men
Member # 6684

US maximum chlorination level for drinking water : 4 mg / L.
Norway maximum : 0.5 mg / L.

The drinking water in my kitchen has a marked taste of swimming pool. I have never experienced this in Norway.

When I refer to you lot as colonials, I am drawing from several sources : First, Vikings settled America well before Colombus. Second, there were Swedish colonies on the East Coast, and Danish-Norwegian ones in the Caribbean; close enough for guvmint work. Third, my mother is Scottish.

Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Third, my mother is Scottish.
Right, like the scots have any right to complain about us being colonials. We succeeded in doing on our first try what they have been trying to do for over 800 years, and failing. We got our independance from the English. [Razz]

Not that I have anything against Scots. I have more 'n a little Scottish blood in me meself.

Also KOM. If we're colonials, you're one of us. You're livin' here [Razz]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
My distant, distant, distant, distant, ancestors were probably Vikings. That's where I get being so fierce and angry from [Wink] .

Of course, they could also be Britons, Normans (also Viking) or Romans.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProverbialSunrise
Member # 7771

- posted      Profile for ProverbialSunrise   Email ProverbialSunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Milk is the BEST drink ever. I love it. I must drink at least a litre a day. By the way 1 US gallons = 3.7854118 litres so that's about a third of a gallon.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

The Scots actually did quite the opposite, they imposed their own monarch on the English. There's a reason he's James Six-and-One, you know. Incidentally, Elisabeth is properly Elisabeth I-and-II. Moreover, 800 years is ridiculous. The Union of Crowns is 1603. Union of Parliaments in 1707. Devolution was 1999. By the most generous interpretation, that makes 397 years.

As for being one of you, ridiculous; I'm a non-resident alien. Also, the other day I met a Swedish girl. Her ancestors had lived in Finland for 300 years. Scandinavians are good at not being assimilated.

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Elisabeth is properly Elisabeth I-and-II.
EliZabeth.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Yes, I know she spells it wrong. So does my girlfriend.
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Forgot the Norwegian bachelor farmers colonising the northern Midwest.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I am also out of milk. I think I'm going to have to go to the store after putting the kids to bed. Or maybe I'll just get up really early. Or I could make pancakes tomorrow. Or let them eat bread.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.