FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Any Freecyclers a little annoyed by....

Author Topic: Any Freecyclers a little annoyed by....
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
....Freecycle leaches?

I'm loving Freecycle, I've already given away some spring cleaning junk, and gotten a free working VCR. [Smile]

It seems like there are a ton of emails requesting really unreasonable stuff, though, and it's a little annoying... maybe I'm the one being unreasonable! [Smile]

Take this week, for instance... we've had three people post "wanted"s for a modern working computer, something they can use for school. What? Isn't that something you should be able to take care of yourself, or through less public means? I mean, we have a computer recycling/donation center where decent (maybe 4-5 year old) computers are sold for around $50.

We've also had two people request working cars, preferably already inspected, because theirs broke down. That just blows my mind... I can't even imagine how rich I'd have to be to have a spare car just laying around that I could give to someone.

We also have constant requests for cribs and other baby items, and the tone of those emails are often, "you need to help me NOW, or my baby will suffer!".

I guess I see Freecycle as more of a "one man's junk is another man's treasure" kind of system, not as a "one man's treasure should go to another man who didn't plan for school or transportation or childrearing". :-p

It's probably just me being lame and insensitive. It just feels a little weird to be getting charity requests emailed directly to me every day. [Dont Know]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Oh, look what I just got! [Smile]

WANTED- CAR BY THURSDAY

MY CAR HAS BROKE DOWN AND I NEED A CHEAP OR FREE CAR TO GET BACK AND FORTH TO WORK. PREFER ONE ALREADY INSPECTED SO I CAN PUT RIGHT ON THE ROAD. THANKS PHONE #

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you should send him a pamphlet for the bus routes in his area.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
As soon as it got hot, my list got several requests for A/Cs.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
There aren't many requests like that on the local freecycle, but I don't mind what ones there are from trying. So long as its not preventing the real functionality of the list, might as well post about it, and if someone else is willing to give such a thing up, cool beans.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
It kind of bugs me. If I had a spare working vehicle around, don't you think I'd sell it, donate it to charity, etc. Or the one I saw this week: WANTED: working motorboat. You can't even claim your livelihood depends on it. I do feel sorry for really poor people who are relying on FC to clothe themselves and have a place to sweep, but it seems just greedy and lacking in personal responsibility.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
The past two weeks we've had a guy asking for a working MOTORHOME. That one actually makes me laugh.

The one I didn't get, though, was the lady asking for a toddler pool. You can get them for less than $10 at any Walmart. Why not just buy one that you know isn't rife with ecoli?

I have to say I love freecycle though, since Liz brought it up weeks ago. A college girl is coming over in an hour or so to pick up the old TV, VCR and TV stand we aren't planning to take with us when we move next month. [Smile]

edited to add: On topic, though: there was a gal yesterday asking for referral on renting a room from someone who doesn't do credit checks. Yikes! There is definitely an edge of whininess to some of the posts on our list.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
WANTED:

Girlfriend.

(Sorry, I can't bring myself to supply the rest of the punchline for this one.)

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

TMedina, a guy on our list DID post exactly that -- and got one! He recently posted a thank you to the list.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

*ROFLMAO*

Um...wow.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you see if they get married and have kids? "Mommy, where did you and Daddy meet?".
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
We've got a gal on my group who has been trying unsuccesfully now for over a month to unlead a pool table base. Not a whole table, just the base. And she keeps reposting the exact same story that goes with it over and over. I'm so very tempted to email her offlist and tell her that after 8 attempts in a month, she's not going to unload the thing to anyone in the group and at a minimum needs to look for other alternatives.

We've also had a lot of people who communicate far enough on an offer to get a promise - and then never show up and apparently never return phone calls or emails, either. I've been fortunate enough in that I've not had that happen to me yet. I had one person who came a day later than originally arranged, but I did know that it would be "either Thursday or Friday" and I was okay with that just so long as she knew I was leaving the stuff on my back step and would not accept responsiblity for an unpredicted rainstorm.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
I may also be being irrational about this, but it bugs me when the people offering an item wants you to tell them why you think you deserve it. I think that is a little condesending. But that's just me.
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by romanylass:
Can you see if they get married and have kids? "Mommy, where did you and Daddy meet?".

Or worse, "Mommy where did I come from?"

Uh...Freecycle?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
The ones that bother me are "we just bought a new house and we need <large appliance> and <many other large appliances>."
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

On today's list:
Wanted: futon mattress

My brother needs a futon mattress to sleep on. He has a problem sleeping on anything that has springs in it. He thinks it picks up wierd radio/electical waves. I'm trying to help him get a better night sleep so he can feel better at work.

[Eek!]

Zeugma
Member # 6636

LOL! That one wouldn't bother me; it's hilarious!

I think part of my problem is that we seem to get an awfully high ratio of Wanteds to Offers, and of the Wanteds so many of them are items worth over $500 (in excellent condition, please).

Maybe I should switch to the digest version, but then I'll never respond to Offers in time to get anything. [Smile]

TMedina
Member # 6649

*grins* I dunno - I slept on a futon all through high school and could never really adjust to a spring mattress.

Of course, now that I'm old and broken, futons don't seem to agree with me anymore.

-Trevor

TMedina
Member # 6649

Call it "Freeloaders" and be done with it, Zeug.

They're not participating in the spirit in which it was intended and that's going to happen to any good thing, sooner or later.

Doesn't mean you can't still have a good time mocking them. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

jeniwren
Member # 2002

So far, my experiences with it have been excellent. The freeloaders are pretty obvious. But there are also some very generous people on the list with a real spirit for it. I love the gal who has a farm not far from here who offered space for people to plant their own veggies if they wanted. She also offered free fruits and veggies to anyone who wanted to come help her harvest her own crop.
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Oh, and for the futon...I was a little tempted to reply. We have a futon couch we use for guests.... [Evil] It has springs in it. Might have made for an interesting experiment, were it not for the fact that I want to keep it.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mackillian:
As soon as it got hot, my list got several requests for A/Cs.

]I did that
did not have a choice. If it wasn't for the rabbit, I'd just endure it.
But, I ended up buying one instead.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, now that you guys start venting about your weird freeloaders, I get this one:

quote:
I am looking for a rent-to-own opportunity if available, however, I am willing to rent for the time being. I am looking in the Willowbrook area and surrounding suburbs. 2BR is preferrable and I have 5 cats that must come with me. I am willing to pay additional deposit for cats.
Now we're a real estate agent? LOL
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Goody, I'm surprised that one made it on your list. Our moderator would have killed the post and banned the poster.

Since I'm moving to a different county, I just joined the list for that area. This email from the moderator amused me:

quote:

We're going to try something new and different with the WANTED posts.

WANTEDS will now be limited to once a week on Saturdays.
One post per person. All the same ettiquette applies, such as: don't go into a long winded story with violins and all and don't ask for a house, car, diamonds, recreational property, Hummer etc.Keep it simple and to items that average people would actually throw out.

Keep in mind that this is about recycling and not shopping or bartering. It's not welfare or a social program to get you out of the hole. IT'S ABOUT RECYCLING. Freecycle has been getting a bad rap in the press lately and reviewers and commentary have noted that there is "too much cyberbegging and panhandling". Now don't send the moderators a bunch of hate mail either, we're volunteers and we're SWAMPED as it is! Everyone has a diverse opinion about this and we've heard about all of them and then some ( we have our own moderator's forum and this gets aired out on a regular basis ).

So....all of you that love the WANTEDS...Saturday is your day.
and....all of you who hate the WANTEDS, set your Saturday e-mail phasers on stun and filter those emails into the appropriate file on Saturday.

Thanks
Mods.

romanylass
Member # 6306

quote:
Wanted: futon mattress

My brother needs a futon mattress to sleep on. He has a problem sleeping on anything that has springs in it. He thinks it picks up wierd radio/electical waves. I'm trying to help him get a better night sleep so he can feel better at work.

I actually have an extra fouton mattress, I would soooo do it, but I'd give him a tinfoil hat too.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
We have a local community bulletin board that functions as a freecycle/prayer request/community notice. Ir just cracks me up the things some folk ask for!

Good: "If anyone is going to the parade in Manhattan on Sunday and has room for an extra person, call me"

Bad: "I need someone with a van big enough for four passengers and their luggage to pick up my relatives who are flying in from Israel on July 7. Their flight lands at 12:13 at night, but it will probably take them a little time to get past customs and get their luggage."

Yo! Call a flanken taxicab! If they can afford airfare, they should be able to split a cab.

Sheesh! [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Jeni, I really hope that the mods in my group do something like what yours have done. In fact, I may shoot them an email and suggest it.

As for why she didn't get her post yanked, I'd love an answer to that one. I've been there about 6 weeks (I had my first pickup Memorial Day weekend) and I'm still on moderated status. Which is really frustrating when I post a curbfind and it doesn't get released until after garbage collection the following day.

Zeugma
Member # 6636

quote:
wanted : a T.V. at least 27"

Our T.V. busted several months ago and we really need one for viewing
educational videos.

quote:
wanted-car

im looking for a car for my gf

And wow, someone actually GAVE that other person a 91 Ford Taurus, but the transmission is broken so she's back on the list asking for a free one. Gah! [Razz]
jeniwren
Member # 2002

You know, the thing that annoys me about freecycle isn't the absurd WANTEDs ... it's the people who say they take an OFFER and then don't show up, don't call back, don't follow up.

I offered three things earlier this week, all of which are still sitting upstairs in my guest room. The rocking chair was supposed to go three days ago. The computer desk was supposed to go day before yesterday. I'm out of town next week and *really* want this stuff gone before I go. *grumble*

kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw someone who was offering trees and you had to come cut them down yourself...
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband would be there in a second.

Not only does he love wood and power tools, he actually has a wood burning stove in the carriage house.

A guy he works with lives on about 5 acres of woods and has told him he can come out and chop down trees so, that's cool.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Well if you're anywhere near Ithaca, NY, join that freecycle group. [Smile]
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

quote:

[IthacaFreecycle] needed deseparetly

Needed deseparetly couch, chair, coffee table, working washer and working dryer and propane stove. Am a single mom with 5 boys and can no longer afford to rent these items. Please if anyone out there has any of these items they would like to get rid of please contact me before posting.

Wellll.... it was fun while it lasted, but that's it for me. I feel pretty good about my donations to the salvation army, and I don't really want to be getting constant requests and whiney emails asking for working cars, modern laptops, and entire houseloads of furniture in my email every day. [Razz]
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like she should be going to the salvation army or goodwill herself.. it's weird that she was renting them when you can usually get cheap stuff there...

At my apartment, I just do without such luxuries as a couch.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Right. I can't imagine I'd ever be able to afford renting furniture. That stuff is crazy expensive. Plus, owning a washing machine and dryer? That's considered a luxury around here. [Roll Eyes]
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Zeugma, it's your fault....now our list is starting to annoy me. [Razz] The guy who wanted a free lawnmower and other yard maintenance equipment so he could start his own business really took the cake for me.

I think I will redirect my freecycle emails that start with Want or Need to my Deleted file. [Smile] But I won't drop the list entirely. I've still got stuff to get rid of yet. The grain mill I had is *still* getting emails though it got picked up two days ago and I posted a TAKEN early Monday morning.

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that annoys us is when the person giving things away responds, "You can have it. I'm putting it out on my front porch right now. Come and get it NOW!"
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

Dan, our list won't allow that.

I was annoyed today because I listed a few items and one woman replied to several with "When can I p/u?". Hello, I did not SAY I was giving them to you, and one item I had already posted taken on before I got her e-mail. I did not give anything to her-presumptous .

Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like broken or unbroken china. I would like to request specifically china made in the 20's, 30's and 40's.

Is that an annoying, unreasonable request? Seriously!

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Tammy, if you're seriously asking (seriously!), then no, I don't think that's unreasonable at all. That's the kind of request that I always liked seeing, the one-man's-junk kind of request. [Smile]

Ugh, I forgot one of the more annoying dealings I had... Someone posted a request for a shower curtain, and I happened to have a very nice one packed away that doesn't match our current bathroom. I emailed her and said she could have it, to which she responded that I'd need to bring it to her house because she doesn't have a car, and she never checks her email so I'd need to call to arrange a time. What? I rarely have access to a phone, and I'd rather not go out of my way to give this person a practically new $25 shower curtain... but I responded anyhow, since we were going to drive by her neighborhood later that day anyhow, so I could drop it off. It took her three weeks to reply with an address, by which point I'm no longer interested in giving the thing to her. Sheesh!

Is it so much to ask that people make a little effort to EARN things in life?

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Three weeks? She must have a really wet bathroom floor.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zeugma:
but I responded anyhow, since we were going to drive by her neighborhood later that day anyhow, so I could drop it off.

You were almost way to kind.

*signs up at local freecycle chapter*

Thanks! [Smile]

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Zeugma, I had one of those too. I'd listed a grain mill, for which I'm still getting email despite having listed a TAKEN already. One of the women who responded (three days after the TAKEN was posted) said she'd like it if it was still available, and could I bring it by her house that evening. [Roll Eyes] I was very clear in my listing that respondents would have to pick up. If I'm delivering stuff, it's going to Goodwill, which is just down the street.

You were way too nice. I've have emailed back that it wouldn't be convenient to drop it off, but if she came to get it, she was welcome to it.

Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm done with Freecycle myself.
quote:
My daughter is having a baby and needs a crib. She would like the blonde colored crib, if anyone has one they are getting rid of that would be great.
Nothing like being specific, just so she doesn't get any crap like a dark wood crib. [Roll Eyes]

And if I get another email in my box of someone asking for a Cricket (pay by the month) phone, I am going to scream. For pete's sake, they are FREE with a rebate when you sign up for the plan!!

Another woman posted an essay about all the things her and her four sons wanted. Which included gaming system games (because they are bored or destroyed the ones they already have), a skateboard, sleeping bags, mats, a Leap Frog game, and a 6 volt battery and charger for her son's new Powerwheels.

I mean, come on!

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.