FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Harry Potter, Adult Edition

Author Topic: Harry Potter, Adult Edition
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in Germany for the summer and I was just at amazon.de looking to order my copy of Harry Potter 6. In Germany, you can get either the British version or a German translation. The english version comes both in the standard edition and an adult edition.

Does anyone no anything about the adult addition? Does it differ from the standard edition in anyway but the cover? If its simply it is smaller print and therefore more compact, I'd prefer it but not if it has any changes in the text. I don't need any adult scenes.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't need any adult scenes.
"Dumbledore!"
"McGonagel!"
"Severius!"
"Doctor Scott!"

[Angst]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I think its a different cover, and maybe the text size stuff.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
The text is the same.

For "adult" Harry Potter scenes, you'll need to look up some fan fiction.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Anyone else wonder why some of the most juvenile things written get called "adult" scenes?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else wonder why you drive on a parkway and park in a driveway?

Neither have I.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else wonder why a person who rides a bike is called a cyclist but a person who rides a motorcycle is called a biker?

/derailed

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anyone else wonder why you drive on a parkway and park in a driveway?
Sighs.

Because the "park" in "parkway" isn't the same "park" as in "park the car". It's more akin to the "park" in "Central Park". That is, it's a road through a (usually) maintained greenspace.

People park in a driveway because they don't leave room for their car in the garage or carport, or else they don't have them. The "driveway" is their own private "way" (meaning lane or road) they use to drive to their house, garage, or carport.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy cow. I first heard that joke from Gallagher when I was about 5 years old, but never bothered to think if there was an actual reason. Thanks KarlEd! I love getting little language tidbits like that.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ill malkier
Member # 8244

- posted      Profile for ill malkier   Email ill malkier         Edit/Delete Post 
Ya'll know why they call it a raspberry (the "so there" sticking out of the tounge and blowing at a person)

Old English loved word games, esp. rhymes. One of the favorite deserts was a raspberry tart-- which rhymes with ____ (the sound you make when you raspberry someone).

True story! My mom has a book all about the origins of unique English words.

Posts: 84 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Karl, I was just trying to be annoying. Glad to see that it worked.

ill malkier, it's not actually Old English. It's not even Middle or Early Modern English. Apparently it dates back to the late 1800s. Sounds like Cockney rhyming slang to me, which is more of a localism than a widespread English thing.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ill malkier
Member # 8244

- posted      Profile for ill malkier   Email ill malkier         Edit/Delete Post 
JB-- eh... well, either way, my mom DOES have a book [Razz]
Posts: 84 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

But the question is, is it a good book? And if so, what's it called and where can I get it?
ill malkier
Member # 8244

To read or not to read,
That is the question.
Whether 'tis nobler on a forum post
To admit that I have no idea what it's called
And never read it-- just heard the raspberry
thing from my Mom. *sheepish*
But I'll see if I can find out and let you know.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

[Cool]
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
Echoing katharina, and speaking as somebody who once wrote a full report on different editions of Harry Potter, the two British editions are identical in every way except the cover art and the price. It's marketing to people who don't want to be seen on the Tube reading a book with a cartoonish drawing on the cover.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
(thought there would be links to cool fanfic)
(tries not to be dissapointed)

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anyone else wonder why a person who rides a bike is called a cyclist but a person who rides a motorcycle is called a biker?
Easy. Bicycle = cyclist. Motorbike = biker.

Also, Biker has a tougher edge to it which is more in line with the whole Vrrrrrrroom and leather thing. Cyclist sounds more wussy.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, very well, romanylass: A Lot to Be Upset About
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

"Dumbledore!"
"McGonagel!"
"Severius!"
"Doctor Scott!"

ACTUALLY LOL.

But for an adult version of Harry Potter, you can read Barry Trotter and the Unnecessary Sequel. Sequel to Barry Trotter and the Shameless parody, which doesn't exist.

Actually it's pretty a well written parody, and only PG-13, maybe. And the theme park ride "Ermine's wild libido" would probably go right over most kids' heads.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

Thanks!

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I'm glad someone besides me has seen Rocky Horror. [Smile]
ChaosTheory
Member # 7069

- posted      Profile for ChaosTheory   Email ChaosTheory         Edit/Delete Post 
www.sugarquill.com ← Has lots of fanfics and fanart.

Good 'ol Rocky Horror, has anybody seen the stage version?

Posts: 163 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to be in a "live along with the movie" stage version called "Lips unlimited." We wanted to call it "Lips Inc.," but that was kind of taken.

I played Rocky, cause no one else was willing to. But we had two Frankenfurters.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Did you know that bonfire actually comes from bone fire? Its some ancient base of the word.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Origins of bonfire.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I'm old enough to have been to midnight showings of it in St. Louis. Toast, newspapers, squirt bottles, lighters, you name it.

Good times.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Midnights at the Naro in Norfolk. Toast, newspapers, squirt bottles, lighters: check. But I was never in a cast nor did I ever dress up.
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Don't forget SCOTT TISSUE!
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Very convenient since they sell single rolls.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.