FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Google Earth - Very cool

Author Topic: Google Earth - Very cool
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
This is pretty cool to check out - earth.google.com. It's a beta version - much of the same stuff that you see if you go to maps.google.com and check their sattelite imagery out. But this is in globe form. 10 meg download and it streams the rest in from their server. Will be really cool when they get really high res stuff on it - Morgantown already looks pretty decent.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I am in awe...

Complete awe...

Amazing... [Eek!]

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I played with this a bit last year when it was Keyhole (Google bought it and made it free, yay Google!).

I love the e-mail function! Had a blast e-mailing various friends pictures of the roof of their house...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Sweet, didn't get to that part yet. Been finding new trails around my area so far. Wow....
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
It gets even cooler when you start using the overlays. It'll show you where restaurants are, ATMs, all kinds of stuff, and if you're creative (and skilled) you can make your own. I love this thing.

I wish there was a more recent shot of my area. Still pretty undeveloped out here, and the most recent shot was taken before my house was built.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Gah. I switched over to my PC so I could download it, and in the short time I was gone they disabled downloads.

edit: Well, that's weird. I can still download it on my Mac. I guess I'll just transfer it to my PC.

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I downloaded it, but when I ran it it said that it couldn't read a flie.

I got owrried and ran visus scan and deleted it right away.

My computer is more than fast enough, and with plenty of memory, so I don't know what the problem was, but if McAfeee clears it perhaps I will try again tomorrow. [Big Grin]

Thanks for posting the link though, it sounds cool!

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KrabbyPatty
Member # 7055

- posted      Profile for KrabbyPatty   Email KrabbyPatty         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool! I found my house, place of employment and lots more. But I have work to do, so it's time to stop playing.
Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

First one to post a link to OSC's house wins!
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
It won't let me download, wah! :-P This sounds very cool.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

My house is on the wrong side of the road....
http://img279.imageshack.us/img279/3817/googleearthimage5ga.jpg

And what is KC doing in the back yard!!!!

HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
There are entire forums for this program, where people mark and share things like forest fires and airplanes and other really weird, crazy stuff...

Like an @ sign carved into the middle of a corn field in Ohio.

Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, I had a trial of keyhole then it ran out.. and <br> and now i cant download earth
Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
"Google Earth downloads temporarily delayed"

=(

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone want a pic of anything in particular?

Ayers Rock? The Brandenburger Tor? Your home?

Here is my school:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/Insel/School.jpg

How about this cornfield in Colorado?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/Insel/gbacorn.jpg

Or this snake in Atlanta?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/Insel/109-0914_AUT.jpg

Yep, the resolution was that good on that last one...from space.

Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

hahahah, uh huh!

Has anyone tried tilting the landscape upwards? I do it by holding my center mouse button down and moving the mouse up and down (holding the center button and moving the mouse left to right rotates north to whatever orientation I want on the screen (usually up)).

Anyway, my neighborhood is shown in the exact correct relief. They must include information from topo maps somehow. But what's cool is that the hills are there but buildings don't poke up, just landscape features. So I'm looking at an oblique view of my neighborhood, and it's exactly correct, just like being here, except where the hospital buildings stick UP in real life, they're just like flat pictures painted on the landscape in Google Earth. It's really cool looking.

[ July 03, 2005, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

This is so incredibly cool, by the way! I spent a few hours browsing around my city last night, then another hour visiting everyone I know around the country. Finally I just dove into Iraqi neighborhoods in Baghdad and Mosul, then jumped over to St. Petersburg in Russia for a while. Did a lightning tour of a few of the capitals of Europe; Moscow, London, Paris, Berlin, Madrid, Brussels. After that I wandered around Sri Lanka and Indonesia for a while, then headed over to northwestern India just to take a look around.

The world is small, guys. We're all really close to one another. Isn't it awesome? <pokes head up and waves to friends on other parts of the planet>

This changes everything!

[ July 03, 2005, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, fun! [Smile] They still don't have good pics of Connecticut though. Grrrr.

I tried looking at some places in the Philippines. I found San Mateo just fine. But then something went weird when I tried typing in the following: "caloocan philippines".

Go ahead! Try it. Not what you'd expect. [Razz]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Google earth abstract art.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

It's really annoying when the resolution is so low that you can't see individual trees and buildlings and cars. Many of the extremely podunk places which don't have good resolution pictures are exactly the extremely podunk places I'm interested in wandering around in.

Tonight Grisha and I went sightseeing together in Moscow. Then we headed to Chernobyl only to find it's one of the low-res backwaters. [Frown]

I want to be able to google earth in chat mode, networked with friends, so we can show each other stuff. I haven't found a way to do that yet, but I discovered the extremely helpful street names overlay as well as water, volcanoes (helpful in Guatemala) and other landscape features. When you click on Tools->Web you get a very nice control panel with buttons to true up back to north or vertical after rotating or tilting. Also a slider bar to zoom in and out just a smidgen, if you need to (which isn't possible using my mouse wheel).

I've now got pushpins all over the freaking planet. Taking the grand tour is exhilirating. [Smile] What other cool features have I not discovered yet? I'm getting to be a google earth addict. I can't stop.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

More google earth abstract art, this time from Chandler, Arizona.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Hey, Jorge! I think I see your glasses.
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
DOOD. Go to:

28 degrees, 58 minutes, 43 seconds N
103 degrees, 8 minutes, 34 seconds W

It's along the Rio Grande in Big Bend National Park.

Move the camera around. It's in freaking THREE DIMENSIONS. I want an entire globe like this.

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Visible from space, my butt. I found the Pyramids, the Sphinx, the Aswan High Dam, the Colosseum, the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, the Suez Canal, and the Panama Canal with no problem. The Great Wall of China? Can't tell it from a highway.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
parts of Washington DC ans Moscow seem to be whited out, covered, or otherwise censored.
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Dog, how would an entire globe work if you can't zoom way in like this? To be this cool a globe would have to be so big you'd need a room of magrithean proportions to keep it in. [Smile]

The section of the picture around Human's house is all spotted with black spots like it has a rash or something.

And, yeah, it's very weird how they've whited out certain buildlings. I don't understand the reason for that at all. It seems to be severe paranoia, and I find the fact that there's censorship much more frightening than any terrorists could be.

Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah.

Also it would be so cool if the whole globe on this program were as 3D as that part was though.

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

From what I've seen, landscape is in 3D, it's just buildlings that aren't.
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
parts of Washington DC ans Moscow seem to be whited out, covered, or otherwise censored.
The whited out areas of certain buildings in D.C. are to cover up the air defenses that are installed on their roofs.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tip! I've been looking at the Grand Tetons in 3D. Cool!
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
I want this program. Does anyone still have the original installation file? I don't want to wait until Google decides to allow downloads again... [Grumble]
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
::Jealous of people who has Google Earth::

Any ideas on how long it will be until it's open to the masses?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Download NASA's World Wind instead. I've had it for awhile now and it works great. I've never tried Google Earth (it's still unavailable) so I don't know how the two compare. World Wind is pretty awesome, though.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Lyrhawn, I just kept trying every day until I finally saw it was available. It took only a few days for me. So keep trying!

THT, nope, I didn't save the original installation file, sorry!

rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
I got it! Pretty neat. Search features are better than World Wind (it's Google after all). I still like World Wind better, though. Among other advantages it's open source and constantly updated. There are tons of plugins designed by users, too - even one for Mars.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.