my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Live 8

Author Topic: Live 8
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone watching?

The opening of the London show was great- Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band, which of course begins with "It was twenty years ago today..." What a great choice.

Any thoughts?

[Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Anyone?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

*crickets*
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Um, I flicked by it a couple of times.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't even know it was on TV.

Meanwhile, the world's largest music festival is going on in my town... http://www.summerfest.com/index.php

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Well at least one person knows it's going on, that's something [Big Grin] .
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Suprisingly, I takes a world-wide event to get MTV to actual broadcast music.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

BUMP

C'mon, people!

socal_chic
Member # 7803

- posted      Profile for socal_chic   Email socal_chic         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched the highlights this afternoon. It was amazing to me to see so many people work together for such a great cause...and the music was awesome too! [Smile]
Posts: 137 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Primal Curve, go see Donna the Buffalo.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
I watch some of it. I hope it really makes a difference. If nothing else it has to get some people thinking about the horrible situation over there. I was surprised how little attention they brought to the AIDS epidemic. In Zambia the average age of their citizens is 18. All the adults are dyeing off.

Yes, MTV did show some music, but they felt it necessary to interrupt it with their VJ's. Shut up and let me listen to the musicians.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.summerfest.com/music/artist.php?id=2290

The 7th at 9:30PM? Might be possible.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Yes, go!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liaison
Member # 6873

- posted      Profile for Liaison   Email Liaison         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I watched all 8 hours of it on Vh1 this morning.
[Blushing]
Live 8 is something I've been following the progress of for a while so I had to tune in.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know, if I wasn't around to see the first one, this might seem important. But I was.

Pet Shop Boys and The Cure were not all that much better 25 years ago. I'm not sure these groups'll be around 25 years from now, but I'm pretty sure African children will still be starving whether I watch the show or not.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but seeing Floyd together again was sure something.
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
I'm pretty sure African children will still be starving whether I watch the show or not.
Yes, but it's not just about that, although of course showing an interest and acknowledging the issue is important. What made me watch it was the fact that this is a global event, something people all around the world have put together. I feel it is my duty as a global citizen to pay attention, to put my name down, to support what the world is doing. And it was worth it. I'm glad I spent 12 hours watching footage from 9 countries.

It's sort of like voting in a city-wide school election. Your vote isn't going to change the world, but it shows you're engaged and interested in the community.

[Smile]

I was also pleased with the MTV footage. It was balanced between countries, with at least one song from every country, although I woke up too late for Tokyo's. They took the time to show all of Nelson Mandela's speech and all the most interesting performances. Abotu half of what they showed came from Barrie, which I feel was a good percentage. The commercials were there, but few, and placed only when someone had finished.

The Canadian show, however, I thought needed some work. It was a mistake having Tom Green and Dan Akroyd to host it- their jokes were not only bad they were in bad taste, which at an occaision which was intended to be serious, felt remarkably forced and idiotic. I don't think they particularly needed hosts at all, and if they were going to have an announcer he or she should have been someone earnest, instead of "funny". But Canada tends to have issues with these large shows.

I was also pleased that most of the artists legitimately seemed to be in the spirit of the thing, which was pleasing to see. [Smile]

Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Aol has the whole concert on a streaming loop: http://music.channel.aol.com/live_8_concert/home
Normally I'd stay away from the evil that is aol, but I'll make an exception for Live 8.

I thought it was an excellent collection of artists - the London concert looked really good.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw an interview with Bono on I believe Primetime Live and was really impressed with him. I thought he did a great job of not villifying anyone but intstead trying to work with leaders to accomplish a most worthy mission. I really thought he would have been much more critial of Bush. I thinkh is approach was great. He is much more likely to get help with compassionate pleas and understanding rather than villification. I really hope the G8 summit pays attention to the message of this concert and so many of the viewers who want the prosperous nations to do more to help.
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
I was kind of disappointed with the MTV coverage, after listening to feeds online-- the London finale was so much more than everyone belting out 'Hey Jude'. Plus, that song just creeps me out, Dark Tower and all.

We have our own mini-Live8 down the road here 5 miles- The Creation Festival. 100k people, and lots of Christian music. You'd think it'd be alright, but they really trash the town. Oh well.

Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm completely uninterested in Live 8. But I'm also horrified to hear that they opened with Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Because the song's freakin' sarcastic, people! It's about a has-been and his second-rate band getting together to sing warmed-over schlock to a sentimental audience hungry for the old hits.

It's exactly NOT the song you play when you're a has-been preparing to sing warmed-over schlock to a sentimental audience hungry for your old hits.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Unless, of course, you are freakin' sarcastic, and enjoy the irony...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.