FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Who would you have voice Aslan in the "Narnia" films? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Who would you have voice Aslan in the "Narnia" films?
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, very well.

Adam Sandler as Aslan.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to suggest Chris Rock...he made such a good zebra...although...Ben Stiller was a pretty good lion...
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

No. I have it. JONATHAN TAYLOR THOMAS!

Corporate synergy, man!

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Garrison Keillor!
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Garrison Keillor couldn't sound untamed if his life depended on it. [Smile]
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
And Fran Drescher as the White Witch?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
James Earl Jones would work for me. So would Liam Neeson.

But, if you want a very talented voice actor who ISN'T a well-known actor, I think it should be Keith David.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And Fran Drescher as the White Witch?
Ooh . . . I think I just developed an ulcer.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Believe it or not, I'm serious with this one... think on it before you pass judgement:

Cary Elwes.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Wesley!

*considers*

Nah, I just can't take him seriously. Ever.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Watch "Glory" sometime. I used to think I couldn't take Matthew Brodercik seriously either...
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest Clancy Brown.

Anyone who watched Carnivale can relate I am sure. He's gotten loads of voice work for commercial's since he was in that show.

Oh man, the voice that guy has. Blows me away.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know - can he pull off sounding youthful but ancient, sad and joyous, gentle and terrible?

I'm thinking Denzel Washington maybe. Charlton Heston (10 years ago - now, maybe not). Maybe even Val Kilmer.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Oh, I can take Matthew Broderick seriously; Cary Elwes, though, will always be a bizarre combination of Westley, Robin Hood (of Men in Tights), and the stepdad from Liar, Liar.

My vote is still Keith David. His voice can be almost as compelling as James Earl Jones, but is less ...ubiquitous.

Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Hank Azaria

*ducks*

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Steven Wright?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I loved Keith David's work as "Goliath" on 'Gargoyles'.

The White Witch is a moot point, Tilda Swinton's already filled that role. [Smile]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
John Cleese?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

"Would you like to be an EX-Witch?!?"
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I put my vote to "Unknown Actor". Someone who's voice I don't recognise, or I don't recognise well, but just gives me the warmest glow.

It should be an old(er) man with a deeper, timeless voice.

Patrick Stewart is about right, but too recognisable.

EDIT: There are plenty of classically-trained unknown British stage actors who would be fabulous for the job. Anyone thin, good-looking and movie-star-ish is wrong for me.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Some involved in the production have mentioned that Lewis' step-son, Douglas Gresham is a stage actor, even though he's never done voice over work.

Hmmmm. Depending on his quality of voice, he might be an interesting choice.

Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the person I was going to reccomend turns out to be dead... bah, why does no one tell me these things!? (Would have been Thurl Ravenscrof.)

But out of the given choices I'd have to go with either James Earl Jones or Sean Connery. Sean Connery did do a good job as Draco in Dragonheart.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ACD
Member # 7763

- posted      Profile for ACD           Edit/Delete Post 
How about John Rhys-Davies?

You proably know him as Gimli from Lord of the Rings or Sallah from Raiders of the Lost Ark. He also did the voice for Treebeard in lotr.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Billy Connoly

John Cleese can be Aslan in the parody.

I'd say John Huston, voice of Gandalf in the animated LOTR movies, but he's dead. Otherwise would have been PERFECT. For the most part though I think it needs to be someone we won't associate with ANYTHING else. Or maybe Stephen Thorne, voice of Aslan in the most popular cartoon version of this that already came out.

Ralph Fiennes is the only other voice I can see working. It's strong, but relatively unknown. Depending on how he sounds as Voldemort.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Aslan, as Dag sort of points out, needs to have some youth and vigor in his voice...

There's a scene where someone asks Aslan who He is and three voices answer "Myself."

One is ancient and wise and perhaps a little sad. One is young, strong, and joyful. One is a subtle, intimate whisper.

The second one is the one that should be Aslan's main voice. I could see Liam Neeson pulling off all three.

Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to vote for Tony Jay. He was the voice of Megabyte in that great ol' weird CG tv show "Reboot", and also the voice of that soul eating underworld creature in Legacy of Kain: Defiance.

I'm sure he's done other stuff tho.

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Jafar, Scar, and Claude Frollo, for sure.. I believe he's been other Disney bad guys as well...
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh i could totally have seen Thurl Ravenscroft!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antihero
Member # 8156

- posted      Profile for antihero   Email antihero         Edit/Delete Post 
Samuel L. Jackson. Hands down.
Posts: 28 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ACD:
How about John Rhys-Davies?

You proably know him as Gimli from Lord of the Rings or Sallah from Raiders of the Lost Ark. He also did the voice for Treebeard in lotr.

I vote for him! Great character actor, and a really nice guy. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I still say James Earl Jones.

I've got a man-crush on his voice.

quote:
John Cleese can be Aslan in the parody.
John Cleese did a wonderful Wormtongue in the audio book of Lewis' The Screwtape Letters.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I think James Earl Jones is too recognizable now - I mean, come on, the man is doing cell phone commercials and people know it's him! John Rhys-Davies is an intriguing suggestion. James Woods could also be interesting (we're watching Hercules right now... well the kids are watching and I'm sort of listening)
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
James Woods? All I'd be able to hear is Hades, or any of a number of roles he has played.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
John Cleese did a wonderful Wormtongue in the audio book of Lewis' The Screwtape Letters.

That is the greatest audio book ever.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.