FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why ElJay friggin' rocks my socks . . .

Author Topic: Why ElJay friggin' rocks my socks . . .
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
. . . Because she introduced me to the Chimney Starter.

Holy crap! Where has this thing been in all my years of charcoal grilling? I feel like a reborn, sanctified, glorified charcoal sinner. I cannot believe how well it works. Just some newspaper and BAM! Hot grill action.

When I first started it, I wasn't sure if it was actually working. There was a lot of smoke and some flame, but not a lot to see. I walked away from it for awhile, but when I got back, there was about a foot of flame leaping out of the top (this is without ANY lighter fluid mind you), and the metal was practically glowing it was so hot. As it was, the charcoal itself was redder than I've ever seen it before.

After it was finished starting, I put it on the grill and that sucker was HOT. I mean, if I had put anything on there that needed thorough cooking, I would have been screwed. I don't know what the grill temperature was, but I know that it was screaming.

When I actually started cooking, the heat was even and the food cooked quite nicely. I'm never going back.

Thanks ElJay!

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
One of these? Does the brand matter?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monteverdi
Member # 2896

- posted      Profile for monteverdi           Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to say, from the bottom of my well, that this was an excellent post.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
This is probably the least salacious praise of ElJay ever posted on Hatrack.

And yes, those chimney starters are awesome.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread title totally freaked me out. [Big Grin]

Glad to be of service. I'm guessing this was from the gas v. charcoal thread? I'm surprised and amazed anyone tried the chimney starter, but so glad you did. Ain't it awesome?

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
One of these? Does the brand matter?

I got mine at <gasp> Walmart. It's not a Weber (though I did want one), but it was only 8 bucks or so. Works great!
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
This thread title totally freaked me out. [Big Grin]

Glad to be of service. I'm guessing this was from the gas v. charcoal thread? I'm surprised and amazed anyone tried the chimney starter, but so glad you did. Ain't it awesome?

I know. I always come across as the creepy stalker type.
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
You are hereby sentenced to two weeks of community service for the crime of saying "BAM!" in a culinary context.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Emirel can kiss my skanky white as-symetrical bottom.
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
Skanky?

Like that guy on MXC?

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.