FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Multiple Explosions in London (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Multiple Explosions in London
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

- posted      Profile for Haloed Silhouette   Email Haloed Silhouette         Edit/Delete Post 
A double-decker bus and several Underground stations have exploded. Many casualties, and much is unknown - not even the cause of the explosion.

On the first day of the G8 conference in Scotland.

Number 10 said it was "still unsure" whether the explosions were a terrorist attack and although casualties were reported, no further details were yet available.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/4659093.stm

And I know what it's like.

JH

EDITED.

Posts: 358 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch. [Frown] That really sucks... As for causes and such they might find out more soon, the things just happened.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Ick.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

- posted      Profile for Haloed Silhouette   Email Haloed Silhouette         Edit/Delete Post 
I still remember March-April two years ago, when we had God knows how many explosions. The English government, BBC and Skynews didn't give a damn. The reporers didn't even look at the Israeli side of what's going on.

And now they get an explosion. Well, at least they know now what it is to live in fear.

Posts: 358 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Fox
Member # 1986

- posted      Profile for Black Fox   Email Black Fox         Edit/Delete Post 
Not funny, the girl I love is in London right now and would have been going to the Airport right about now, to say the least I'm honestly afraid for her. I'm normally a rather calm person, most dangerous events don't bothe rme. This honestly does frighten me a bit, she is the world.. more than the world to me. Makes me wish I was back in Iraq at the moment.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
They've shut down the bus system in London because of the bombings.

(&/282"§§( German kezboard. Who can tzpe on these things anzwazÄ)

[ July 07, 2005, 07:20 AM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

By now it's six explosions. One in Russell Square.

I was staying there two summers ago; it makes it so different when you know the place.

Pod
Member # 941

- posted      Profile for Pod           Edit/Delete Post 
shut down :|

Anyone tried to contact Londoner hatrackers?

Posts: 4482 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Dammit. First rioting, now this?

This is not the peace process.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Haloed Silhouette:

And now they get an explosion. Well, at least they know now what it is to live in fear.

Since we have been under the constant threat of terrorism for many years with the Irish troubles, I find it utterly disgusting that you don't appreciate that we have suffered greatly from terrorism. I'm sorry that the journalists didn't seem to give a damn, but you can be sure that the British people did.

I don't appreciate your insulting attitude while my country is under attack.

I'm sorry that I may be being rather more harsh than I usually would, but I am just amazed at how angry and upset reading that statement just made me.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

quote:
Originally posted by Haloed Silhouette:

And I know what it's like.

Well, if you DO know what it's like, don't make us think you're gloating over it... If you want to blame reporters, do that, but the Londoners have nothing to do with that, so what is it to you if they live in fear right now?! As someone who has been through something like that it seems to me that you should sympathize with them.

Black Fox, I hope she's alright. Please post as soon as you find something about her, ok? I have a friend who's visiting England, but fortunately she wasn't in London today; I know how it feels to wait for news, hang in there.

Bella Bee, are you living in London or not?

And who are our Londoners? I hope they're all safe...

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
*growls*

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
BB-- you're fine. Your comments are justified and proper.

I just emailed Amira-- oh, good heavens, I'm losing my apathy. . .

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow -- and just after they had such great new yesterday about being chosen for the Olympics. This is a terrible thing to happen and totally erases all the good feelings of yesterday....

My prayers are with our British Hatrackers... hope everyone's okay.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I'm not in London. I currently live about 30 miles away. But a lot of my friends live and/or work there. Thankfully, none of them should have been in the area of the bombs today, although I'm still waiting to hear for sure.

We've been waiting for this since 9/11, but it doesn't make it any easier. What makes it even sadder, it that yesterday London won the right to hold the 2012 Olympics. The headlines on the papers this morning all have headlines about 'London's Golden Day'.

Black Fox, I'm sure she'll be fine. I hope you hear from her soon.

Thankfully, so far the reports suggest that there won't be as many dead as there could have been, although there are a lot of wounded.

For any of you praying types - please keep those who are hurt and grieving in your thoughts. I know they could do with it.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
CNN reports just now that Scotland Yard reports a total of 4 explosions (3 underground and one bus).

A website purportedly from the London arm of Al Queda claims responsibility for the bombings.

HS, I think you owe an apology. Your comments were very callous.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The English government, BBC and Skynews didn't give a damn. The reporers didn't even look at the Israeli side of what's going on.

In looking over the full context of what HS said, I think it is only the media he is directing his comment to. He is upset with how the media handle a previous situation, so he is saying now "they" know (the media, I assume) what it is like.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and say he wasn't trying to be callous to British citizens....

FG

[ July 07, 2005, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I still remember March-April two years ago, when we had God knows how many explosions. The English government, BBC and Skynews didn't give a damn. The reporers didn't even look at the Israeli side of what's going on.

With the amount of violence displayed by both sides in the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, it's no wonder that the reporters have given up covering it. You can only cover the daily exchange of rhetoric and violence in so many ways before it becomes a non-newsworthy event except on a local scale. Since London is a central player in world policy it's only natural that news coverage would be higher.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

I just thought about how bad it could have been had they planned the explosions for yesterday, with all that crowd... o_O :shivers:
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I really hope George Bush says, or more importantly does, someting very good, very quickly. The UK has pretty much been our best friend since we got hit, and I hope the fact that George and all his secret service are in the country will give him a chance to make some token effort toward beginning to repay the debt very soon. If he doesn't at least make a strong statement and show some sort of attempt at intellegence gathering and sharing within the next couple hours, I'll be very disappointed.

And for the record, I don't see how it could make a civilized person happy to see anyone learn to live in fear. That's a barbaric statement if I ever heard one.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Bella Bee,

I agree 100%. Your response was far more reasoned than mine was going to be.

Having recently been there and used the underground a lot (including King's Cross station), it does change one's view.

My thoughts and prayers are with the people of London today, and with your government and with those who must respond to this crisis.

I will also add my prayers that the terrorists (everywhere) come to find a better and less destructive way to have their voices heard, and give up on violence as an option.

I hope all our other London-based friends check in soon.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

160 reported dead so far. Eye witnesses speak of many more still underground.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Bush spoke on CNN. He expressed condolences to the British people and urged caution to the American people heading to work today.

Security has stepped up on the DC subway this morning. Bush is in conference with the heads of Homeland Security at this time.

Corwin
Member # 5705

That is "160 reported injured" actually.
Corwin
Member # 5705

quote:
Originally posted by TheHumanTarget:
With the amount of violence displayed by both sides in the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, it's no wonder that the reporters have given up covering it.

That is a pitty, actually. That we grow used to violence. (but I think we can pretty much get used to anything...) "It's been going on for years" is no relief for those who suffer now. I remember seeing "Hotel Rwanda" and thinking: "How can people ignore stuff like that?!"
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sad to hear this news. [Frown]

There's a check-in community on LiveJournal, here: http://www.livejournal.com/community/london_070705/

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by KarlEd:
Bush spoke on CNN. He expressed condolences to the British people and urged caution to the American people heading to work today.

Security has stepped up on the DC subway this morning. Bush is in conference with the heads of Homeland Security at this time.

Thanks. I'd missed that.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I was watching this on Fox News this morning. I've been to many of those stations before, so it was particularly startling. The reporters on Fox were talking about how the London people are reacting remarkably well and without panic. (They were also comparing their reaction to the New Yorker's reaction on 9/11, saying they were very similar.) They also made the point that the people are no strangers to terrorism, with IRA attacks in their past. Anyway, it made me proud of the British people--for not letting the terrorists succeed in their terror. So I think the comment that they're learning to live in fear is misguided at best.

When I got to work this morning, one of my coworkers asked me if I thought it was terrorists. I knew what she meant, but I said that of course it was terrorists, whatever group it was, by the very definition it is an act of terrorism.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, there were cops on the El platform this morning.

I saw a lot of cops around last week, too. I figure it was because of the Taste of Chicago, but it still made me nervous because I started wondering if they knew something was going to happen. Weird, you'd think the presence of the police would make me feel more calm, but it doesn't. I guess it's because seeing the police is a reminder that this world isn't as safe as we like to think it is.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

quote:
Originally posted by Corwin:
That is "160 reported injured" actually.

Sorry about that. I must have mis-heard on CNN. I'm listening while working. [Blushing]
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Living in fear? This is London we're talking about. Its people defied all that the Luftwaffe could throw at them, a bombing that makes Israel's troubles look like a child's scraped knee. I suggest that children who know nothing of history have a nice hot cup of STFU.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

Actually, reading the story from CNN this morning, I got tears in my eyes. Not sure exactly why. I guess because it's so effing screwed up, all of it. *kicks things*

Has anyone heard from Amira?

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
The T here in Boston is on eleveated alert today too. My mom was in King's Cross station yesterday (she ahd been in England/London for a week, through yesterday. She got home safe and sound last night), going on a quick trip to Scotland on her last day over there. She called me at 8AM this morning, since we hadn't talked since she got back. She's rather rattled.

My fiance spent a year in England at UCL, and lived not 5 minutes from KC, and 10 from Russell's (sp) Square. She got a hold of one of her friends still in the city, and she's okay. My fiance is hoping everyone else she knows that she's lost touch with is okay as well.

My condolences and sympathy go out to the victims and their families...

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
mack-- I emailed her, but forgot to put my real name; she may not recognize my email addy.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
Sickening. Just Sickening.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

quote:
Its people defied all that the Luftwaffe could throw at them, a bombing that makes Israel's troubles look like a child's scraped knee
Yes, 60+ years ago; and remember that Israel's troubles, though rather small in magnitude, happen in a much smaller nation. Greater London has a higher population than Israel.
Corwin
Member # 5705

quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
Living in fear? This is London we're talking about. Its people defied all that the Luftwaffe could throw at them, a bombing that makes Israel's troubles look like a child's scraped knee. I suggest that children who know nothing of history have a nice hot cup of STFU.

And again, why do we have to compare sufferings?! This post is just as rude as the one it is answering. Please be civil about this, both you and HS.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One caller to BBC Five Live said his friend had seen "the bus ripped open like a can of sardines".
It seems clear that many people must have died if this happened to a "packed" bus. [Frown]

I'm sure Amira and Pixie will check in with someone as soon as possible. Right now the phones are pretty tied up. Is Amira on dial up still? It might be a while. Until then we can only pray.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

We really have to avoid contention among those of us who are against terrorism. It's important that we all pull together. Contention makes things worse not better.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I also e-mailed Amira. She doesn't live or work in London itself, so she's probably fine. (And if we don't hear from her today, I think I can still find her phone number).
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

HS: You *had* to answer that, didn't you?!? Forget the *scale* of things, innocent people have been hurt or killed today, for them it doesn't make much difference that it wasn't in a Luftwaffe bombardment, in a Palestinian suicide bombing or in an Israeli punishing mission -or whatever one would call it-, ok?
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Right now, the scale doesn't matter. People died at the hands of other people. That in itself is enough for mourning.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
The news this morning was making a tenative connection to G8. I don't know what to think about that. My thought is that if it does have something to do with G8, then the other 7 countries are a target as well. I don't know... I just have this sense of dread that it's going to get a lot worse and I just hope I'm way wrong.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
This stinks.

About the only good thing is that the death toll seems to be staying in the 100’s and not the 1,000’s.

I’m very surprised our subways haven’t been hit yet.

Guess the war on terror isn’t over.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Wow, British people are so great, aren't they? This calm efficiency is inspiring. (Watching BBC coverage.)
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Guess the war on terror isn’t over.
Did anyone think it was?

I don't think the "war on terror" will EVER be over.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
40 dead and 350 injured now.

[Frown]

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/world/london_bombings

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that the "war on terror" will be won in a traditional sense-- but it will ultimatly be self-destructive.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man.

[Frown]

I hate, hate hearing about this. No matter what country, no matter what, mack is right - a large number of people were murdered and injured today. And that's definitely cause to mourn.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.