FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » This does NOT make me a bioethicist - but I do have an article in an ethics journal

Author Topic: This does NOT make me a bioethicist - but I do have an article in an ethics journal
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Much to my surprise, the editor of The Hastings Center Report contacted me a few months ago to write a short commentary on the infant euthanasia proposals in the Netherlands. For those who don't read ethics journals, The Hastings Center Report is one of the leading journals in bioethics.

My commentary is in the current issue of the journal and it's online.

You can access by going to www.hastingscenter.org, click on "More from Hastings Center Report" and register when asked to do so if you try to access an article. Mine is the commentary titled "Euthanasia is Out of Control in the Netherlands."

For easier access, there's a version in html here. Posted there with permission of the journal editors.

Here's a snippet:

quote:
The March 10 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine featured an article by two Dutch doctors defining a "problem" and a "solution." Drs. Verhagen and Sauer announced that a survey had found that, contrary to Dutch law, some infants with severe disabilities have been euthanized. In an effort to end "uncontrolled" euthanasia, they proposed adoption of a set of protocols, known as the "Groningen protocol," for legally euthanizing infants with disabilities and serious medical conditions.

It's hard to believe anyone could be surprised by the news of this latest effort to expand the practice of euthanasia in the Netherlands. For the sake of brevity, one might compare Dutch euthanasia practices to a highway system. In this system, drivers are responsible for monitoring their own speed. As long as they tell officials how fast they're driving, the authorities generally won't issue tickets for speeding.

Here's the hitch: the problem of speeding has become so problematic that every few years a driver is actually issued a ticket. In every reported case, the offender was given a slap on the wrist, and the speed limit was raised. Predictably, this just results in a general rise in the speed of traffic and further requests to raise the speed limits. This is, in effect, what happened in 1994 when Dr. Boudewijn Chabot was convicted of aiding the suicide of a woman in despair over the death of her two sons. It happened again in 2001 when Dr. Wilfred van Oijen was tried and convicted for "euthananizing" an elderly woman without her permission.

The main difference between the Dutch system and the American system, I'd suggest, is one of degree. We've set the speed limits at a lower level and mostly resisted requests to raise them.

[ July 07, 2005, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, congraluations! The snippet you posted was very well written, but that's standard coming from you. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

[Blushing]

Thanks, Kat.

I don't think I'll be asked to write again. I decided not to write like a well-behaved "token."

Here's the closing:

quote:
Bioethicists who appear in popular media often decry the simplistic way in which complex issues are addressed. On behalf of Not Dead Yet and other disability rights organizations, I have a not-so-respectful request: admit your failure to promote a complex and accurate public discussion of bioethical issues and make room for those of us who seem more willing and able to lead the effort.

Not expecting any invitations to bioethicist cocktail parties any time soon. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked it. I'd like to know more about the history behind your "highway speeding" analogy, though. Can you link to some resources for me?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

KQ, what, specifically, do you want to know more about with the analogy? The reporting systen in the Netherlands? The lack of consequences for those few doctors brought in on charges? The subsequent easing of standards?

(BTW, I really think the U.S. is in the same boat. There is little monitoring of physicians' performance and conduct from outside agencies. It's virtually unheard of to hear of a physician in this country being tried for murder or manslaughter for killing a patient. Criminal prosecutions tend to be in narcotics or fraud areas of behavior. The only accountability for harming or killing patients is through malpractice suits - and we all know how the medical community feels about those. [Wink] )

Diana Bailey
Member # 8313

- posted      Profile for Diana Bailey   Email Diana Bailey         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent, passionate article...as a person with a disability, it has always haunted me to find out how easily people dismiss my quality of life. This is such an important topic. Keep writing!
Posts: 42 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
If this DID make you a biothicist . . . would that mean you'd have to change your opinion of bioethicists?

Congratulations, and well done.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! I'm glad they came out with the web version. I think I'll share my prior comments with slight revision:

No one should mistake this bias for anything other than what it is—an over-valuation of physical and mental norms, which is bigotry. That prejudice is often mistaken for objectivity in bioethics discussions.”

It really sums up the crux of the issue. I still hear people say they want their "doctors" (with no clear indication as to which one) to make decisions in cases like Terri Schiavo's because they don't recognize the limitations of medical science. Even granting that it has the ability to define the physical and mental limitations of a particular condition (which I don't grant they can do infallibly, although they certainly have the best information available on that regard), they still don't have any more information than anyone else about what kind of life someone will lead. And they have far less such information than the actual people involved.

Do people not realize this proposed Netherlands policy amounts to "doctors will decide which lives are worth living?" And if they do, doesn't that scare the bejeezus out of them? And doesn't it scare doctors to have that kind of responsibility?

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

dkw, showing her orneriness, said:

quote:
If this DID make you a biothicist . . . would that mean you'd have to change your opinion of bioethicists?

This is where my policy of refusing to respond to hypotheticals comes in very handy. [Razz]

Semi-seriously, whenever someone asks if I consider myself a bioethicist or an ethicist, my stock answer is:

"Absolutely not! My parents raised me better than that." [Wink]

I'm thinking maybe bioethics as a field should be called upon to justify its continued existence and sustenance by extraordinary means - grants, endowments and university resources. [Evil]

(more later...)

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever you are, you should be proud. Although you calling dkw ornery is a hoot. [Smile]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

quote:
Excellent, passionate article...as a person with a disability, it has always haunted me to find out how easily people dismiss my quality of life. This is such an important topic. Keep writing!
Diana,

thanks. If you check out the website, you'll find I've written a lot more on associated subjects.

When it comes to writing, a quote that is most often attributed to Dorothy Parker applies to me:

"I hate writing; I love having written." [Wink]

Well, mostly. Because when it's done I can't change it and there's nothing to be done about it. (although the web allows for exceptions to this rule)

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Well done - you left me wanting more. More of your thoughts, more information, more dialogue. Keep saying the words that need to be said - and don't worry about those cocktail parties. *grin*
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I would just like more background; I know virtually nothing about this subject.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, Steven, I saw the subject line of this thread and thought, "No, it does make you a bioethicist. So there! You are what you hate! Ha-ha!" [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too, how ironic is that? [Smile]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Tom and Kwea,

my best, most measured and analytical response is this:

::sticks fingers in ears and hums loudly until Tom and Kwea stop saying these things.::

mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand, Tom and/or Kwea, why did it make you think that?
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.