FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I have a hole in my tooth

Author Topic: I have a hole in my tooth
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. So I was just eating, and I found a hole in my molar.

It doesn't hurt. Nor does it hurt when I drink icewater. I have no idea what this is. Can anyone clue me in as to what's going on in my mouth?

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
I had one once and it was a cavity. Go to the dentist.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
I had something similar happen to me last year.

The dentist told me he thought there was some decay and that part of the tooth (in the middle of it) just fell out.

Didn't hurt or anything either. And it wasn't discoloured (which surprised me when he said "decay").

Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

This is very odd, because I brush everyday. Vigorously.

Is there any chance a filling fell out?

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that all depends. Did you have any fillings? If that was indeed the problem, you probably swallowed it; so if you don't die of heavy-metal poisoning in the next few days, you can discard that hypothesis. [Smile]
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

I had several fillings when I was ten, but for the life of me I can't remember where.

Might've been in the back, yeah.

But if it's possible to have tooth decay while brushing regularly and without any sort of pain, then, maybe, I guess I have a cavity?

But how could it get so advanced without me even noticing?

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
VIGORGOUS brushing is actually bad for your gums, it can cause receding (I say this because my sister's dentist chastized her for the same thing and she had to have skin grafted onto her gums).

As for your tooth, see a dentist as soon as you can. You can still have a cavity without feeling any pain. You can still GET cavities despite maintaining good oral health habits.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
VIGOROUSLY brushing teeth can also wear the enamel on the teeth down. Very very bad and, according to Fahim, very painful.

Get thee to a dentist!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
mack is right as usual. The last big hole I had in a tooth was an old filling that fell out, so that is entirely possible. Especially if it's been more than 10 years since the filling was put in.

Cavities don't cause pain at first, and yes, you can have even big pieces of your tooth fall out and it not hurt. Once half of one of my wisdom teeth just shattered, the dentist couldn't believe it didn't hurt but I had zero pain. Luckily it was just a wisdom tooth which needed to come out anyway, because he said there's no way he could have filled it, there wasn't enough tooth left.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Dang, I'm up in Austin and my dentist is down in Houston. I'll have to consult ye olde ma and pa one this one.
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Cavities only hurt once they reach the nerves in the middle of the tooth; enamel has no nerves.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

So... what do they do for cavities?

Drill? [Frown]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
From here.
quote:
What causes teeth to be sensitive?

Sensitive teeth pain occurs when exposed sensory nerves in the tooth react to various stimuli. The layer of the tooth under the enamel is called the “dentin”. Microscopic tubules act like tiny straws located in the dentin. They contain fluid and nerve endings. Dentin can be exposed as gum tissue recedes or when the enamel is worn away – often by aggressive tooth brushing. When stimuli like cold food or beverages or you make contact with the exposed dentin, they cause the fluid in the dentinal tubules to move rapidly outward, resulting in sensitive teeth pain.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Yeah, but does it cause a hole?

Also, I have the profound urge to jump up and brush my teeth right now. Should I?

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
An old filling fell out. Have your dentist replace it immediately, or face an expensive root canal when the tooth starts hurting.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Whew. Good to hear.
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
You obviously havne't been eating enough shellfish and organ meats. Now read this book.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Teeth can die.

So if you have a hole in your tooth that is very deep, but you feel no pain or reaction through it, then the tooth may be dead. (meaning the nerves and blood supply to the tooth have died off and the tooth is kind of just "there").

I have a couple of dead teeth. You have to worry about whether or not they will begin to absess at the root level. One of my dead teeth calcified on its own (meaning the nerve running through the root, insteaed of infecting, just died and the bone kind of "filled in" and sealed it over). So I feel no pain through it and it works just fine, etc.

Either way, you probably should have a dentist look at it.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.